• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to bearded dragons, Please advise

gareth young

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, im new to caring after bearded dragons and want to learn more so please be kind to me

he's about 20months old, i have a cage set up etc,

UV light (tube)
Heat lamp
The temps at about 32c

Here's a picture of him below
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/img0356j.jpg/

Bare in mind ive only had him about 4 days now, The food i have for him are

standard brown crickets
4th hopper small tub
3rd hopper small tube
morio worms
Also i have these http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7606/img0358tk.jpg

He loves the hoppers

When i first got him i was told his beard might go black,

I got him home and he was ok, left him in his cage for awhile and he bearded when black so i took him out to have a walk around my room and it bearded when back to normal, after a couple of days when in his cage his bearded sometimes goes black, reason unknown but when i take him out to chill have walk/run he is like happy again (he doer move alot in his cage)

i have also taken a picture of his cage below
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3127/img0357yi.jpg

I use calci sand (only put that in today)

Is he acting like that because ive only just got him? or am i doing something wrong?

If you need more pictures or information please ask

:-( i hope he's ok, also he like to sleep on me.

I have a coal fire downstairs and we have fire gaurd for when my nephews come round and he like ti climb it and absorb the warmth off the fire lol?

Please advise

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
uvb should be 10.0 or better if using linear tube light and should span the entire length of the enclosure. baskin spot should be 100f to 110f. cool side should be 80f to 85f. sand is not generally recommended especially if feeding in the same enclosure. beardies taste everything and sand can cause impaction. i personally use paper towels. some people use sand without problems but it is risky and i never understood why suppliers would add calcium to sand when it is dangerous to use. its like encouraging bad behavior. anyway, your greens look good and crickets are good. you can also use roaches, superworms, hornworms and other insects. the black beard can certainly be from the stress of new surroundings and can take a week or more to subside, be patient, your on the right track.

Mountain Bearded Dragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
uvb should be 10.0 or better if using linear tube light and should span the entire length of the enclosure. baskin spot should be 100f to 110f. cool side should be 80f to 85f. sand is not generally recommended especially if feeding in the same enclosure. beardies taste everything and sand can cause impaction. i personally use paper towels. some people use sand without problems but it is risky and i never understood why suppliers would add calcium to sand when it is dangerous to use. its like encouraging bad behavior. anyway, your greens look good and crickets are good. you can also use roaches, superworms, hornworms and other insects. the black beard can certainly be from the stress of new surroundings and can take a week or more to subside, be patient, your on the right track.
That was good and i agree with him with all of it

Latest posts