• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to all of this.

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
I've had my beardie about 3 or 4 months now and he is usally a happy eater, but today he stopped, or rather, eats 1-2 crickets at meal time. I've included some wheat grass in the enclosure with him just incase, is it something wrong with my enclosure? His basking temp is about 105f and cool side is about 80 and I have all his necessities, thanks for any and all advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
I've had my beardie about 3 or 4 months now and he is usally a happy eater, but today he stopped, or rather, eats 1-2 crickets at meal time. I've included some wheat grass in the enclosure with him just incase, is it something wrong with my enclosure? His basking temp is about 105f and cool side is about 80 and I have all his necessities, thanks for any and all advice.
Also when I try to pick him up, he puffs up and hisses and bites me? Thanks.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Whats your temps at? Do you have a uvb in there? looks a little dark, beardies like bright light during the day. Mine started doing the puff at me about a month or so ago when i try to get her out but has never bitten me. She just acts tough until i pick her up than shes fine. When they do that do you jump back or hold your ground? if you hold your ground thats good its what your suppose to do so they know your the boss not them. This is what mine looks like uploadfromtaptalk1405385191023.jpg i just keep trying to scoop her up and pet her then she calms down a bit. Are you coming at him from above or do you try to pick him up from under the belly? they have a "third eye" so to speak on the top of their heads so if you come from above they can feel threatend .

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1405385498974.jpg this is my set up. Actually looks darker than it really is in the pic. I use a halogen bulb for my basking and a regular 40 watt house bulb for the cool side and a reptisun 10.0 tube style bulb for my uvb. I would recomend getting a tube style uvb and some velcro strips and mounting it just inside the lid above the basking spot it will brighten it up a lot

Lucas791

Hatchling Dragon
So should I get another regular house bulb for the other side just to brighten things up for the guy? I'm sure all my temps are correct by the way. When he actually bites me I don't back away, I just keep going at him. What surprises me is that, this behavior was literately an overnight thing, always a mad dragon, not wanting to eat. Makes me nervous.

Marmoset

Hatchling Dragon
I can't say much about the lighting. Your temps seem fine and you are using a white halogen bulb so I'd guess that it is bright enough but maybe someone else will have a better answer. For the behavior issues- with reptiles aggression/ testiness & not eating or eating less usually means they are going into a shed. Sometimes they feel it before we see it. Give it a few days and see if you start seeing evidence of him being in shed. Otherwise, I've read that beardies can get an attitude when they are reaching sexual maturity due to hormonal changes but I don't think that accompanies lack of appetite.

Other than crickets and wheat grass are you feeding him any salads? Is he excreting normally?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Maybe wont hurt to brighten it up a little but make sure it doesnt affect the temps. Ya mine started overnight also it seemed like. One day she was fine the next she was an ass.lol i thought it was shedding aswell but she is still doing it. Not sure i figured shes just being a sassy teenager.lol. What about your uvb? what do you use for that?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
There shud b at least 6 incha.from beardie to lights. I cnt see any uvb either do u have 1? Try just aitting ur hand in tue viv a few times a day. Dnt try to grab him or anything just sit it in there gettin closer n closer until ur beardie is settled with ur hand in the viv. Little things like putting a tshirt u have worn in there so he can get ur smell. Talkin to ur beardie also helps with bonding. Also try holder him in the viv just b4 bed time when he all sleepy :)

Latest posts