• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tanks and I have a few questions.

Jereka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good morning. I moved my Fred into a new tank but I want to make sure that I am doing it right. He moved from a 20 gallon to a 90 gallon tall, and the thing that has me concerned is the tall part of the tank. It is 4 feet long, 18 inches wide and 24 inches tall.

I have a mesh screen on top. The cooler side has a 60 watt bulb and the temps are at 82-84F

The hot side has a 60 watt bulb and a 150 watt bulb and the temps are at 104-108F. We are in the middle of a deep cold so I expect that once the whole house is warmer it will be a little warmer as well.

I have a Reptisun 10.0 uvb t5 h0 bulb .

So I would like to know if I should put the bulbs inside the tank or get a higher basking point. I think that the heat is fine as is but if I should put the reptisun 10.0 inside the tank, do I attach it to the top of the screen or try to attach it to the side of the glass? Any suggestions?

Fred is doing awesome, although he seems a little stressed today due to the change in tanks. We have had him for just over a month and he has grown 4 inches. He eats at greens and crickets 3 times a day. The crickets are gutloaded and are coated in calcium powder.

I am using newspaper as a substrate.

I think that covers the needed info. I tried to click on the link for uvb setup but the link doesn't work.

So my questions are: What is the best way to use the uvb bulb? On top of the tank or fastened inside somehow.

Do I have to cover the back and sides of the tank?

He has been going into a hide at night but he barely fits, so I am going to be getting him a new one today if the store has them in stock. Should I make the switch now, or should I wait until he gets used to the new tank.

I have heard that people put blankets or old tshirts in the tanks for them to sleep on in the hide. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks so much for all your help.
Cyndi

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Uvb should be placed under screen to ensure proper Uvb exposure. If on top it cuts the UVB in half. If you leave it on top beardies need to be able to get 8-10 inches of it. If under 10-12 inches.

Making a raised basking spot is a great idea. Just remember closer you get the the heat hotter it gets.

Cover all sides minus the front is a good idea. Less stress on them.

Shirts and blankets in the tank is fine if you want but IMO pointless to your beardie. They need to cool off at night and it serves no real purpose IMO.

They should always have a hid of some sort to get out of the light if they so choose. So replacing it now rather than later is a good idea.

Jereka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you very much. I tried using ties to put it on the screen but that did not work. I saw a you tube video about using picture fasteners. Do you have any other suggestions for putting the uvb inside the tank?

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
I used those command stickies and just stuck it right on there. I also have the T5 and it was a struggle to find a light weight fixture for it but I eventually found one at Home Depot that was awesome!!!!

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
(Actually I moved the rock closer to the front of the tank bc the distance to the UVB was a little close. Also normally my basking light sits on top of a mesh screen. I took it off to clean/rearrange)

Latest posts