• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Rescue Baby - Need Advice

Unboxable_Turtle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but not new to bearded dragons. I have had my old boy Spike for about a year, and he was a rescue who was dumped by his previous owners. He has been a very good boy and is doing very well.

I was starting to feel confident about reptiles, and I got a call from a rescue that typically doesn’t deal with reptiles, asking me to take in a relatively severe case. So last Sunday, I brought home Edward. He is between three and five years old, is missing at least 2 inches of his tail, is missing several of his toes, and is a little bit overweight. He also did not have the right lights and was being fed a very poor diet. Since I got him, he is refusing to eat insects unless I feed him with tongs, and is only eating 4-6 crickets each day. He is also eating a little bit of leafy greens every day, covered in bee pollen to entice him, and he is eating probably about 1/4 cup or less each day. He does eat his vegetables independently. He also super loves raspberries and I have let him have one every other day. Otherwise, he spends pretty much all of his time hiding underneath his log, and seems fairly low energy. He does tolerate letting me pet him just fine, and also has not had any bowel movements yet.

I think I may just be a nervous mama, but I want to be sure that I am doing everything I need to do for him. His temperatures are good on the cool and hot side, and I know I have the correct lights. He has a good, strong basking light as well as the long tube UV light. He probably could do with a bigger tank, but I wanted to see how he was doing first. Does anyone have any suggestions about anything else I can be doing with him? I just want to be sure he is eating and is as happy as he can be. I know I have only had him for about five-ish days now, and it is early days, but I thought I would reach out here and ask some experts. I unfortunately don’t have any friends or acquaintances who are knowledgeable about reptiles and the rescue I got him from typically doesn’t do reptiles. Edward just got kinda dumped on them and they begged me to take him.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Unboxable_Turtle

Bearded Dragon Egg
You said tube UVB what kind? Brand and bulb and where in the tank is it?
Lighting plays a huge role in their behavior --- w/ him hiding tells me something is off w/ it
kaylyn

Hi Kaylyn,

Thank you for replying. His current UV tube is a Reptisun, 10.0 and it is located on top of the screen on his tank. I have a T8, which from what I understand is good for getting through a screen. It’s exactly what I’ve been using without issue with my other guy, Spike, for almost a year, so I figured I had it right, but am of course willing to change anything to make the beardies’ lives better!

Edward is currently hiding under his log mostly on the hot side of his enclosure, but did come out for a little while yesterday so I could pet him and feed him.

Latest posts