• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New reptile advice

Addi_723

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am a big reptile lover. I have always wanted turtles, but never could get them. I finally got my dream pet of a already grown bearded dragon in July from a previous family, but sadly due to re-homing he wouldn’t eat and got very sick. I loved him so much and I knew I would play and cuddle with him. He passed away in September, and I’ve been wanting another reptile for awhile. I’m not sure if it would be difficult to get another one after losing one, and I’m also considering getting a leopard gecko instead, but I really want another beardie. I feel like it would be hard since his loss caused so much pain, and I’d like some advice regarding how I’d bring it up to my parents about getting another one, and if anyone who’s expiernced beardie loss knows what it’s like getting another one after. Any advice is appreciated :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I am a big reptile lover. I have always wanted turtles, but never could get them. I finally got my dream pet of a already grown bearded dragon in July from a previous family, but sadly due to re-homing he wouldn’t eat and got very sick. I loved him so much and I knew I would play and cuddle with him. He passed away in September, and I’ve been wanting another reptile for awhile. I’m not sure if it would be difficult to get another one after losing one, and I’m also considering getting a leopard gecko instead, but I really want another beardie. I feel like it would be hard since his loss caused so much pain, and I’d like some advice regarding how I’d bring it up to my parents about getting another one, and if anyone who’s expiernced beardie loss knows what it’s like getting another one after. Any advice is appreciated :)
Welcome Addi - getting a dragon is a lot of responsibility and can be expensive getting them set up at first - you want the correct lighting and temps in the tank that is a big mistake a lot of people make when they get the dragon - this is what keeps the dragon healthy once those are in place your dragon will be healthy mind you they do get sick and some times its genetic and when getting a dragon you really dont know that - getting a older dragon is hard because you really dont know what kind of care the dragon has had so he may come to you already sick - I have lost 2 dragons so I know the pain of losing them - but I learned as well and now I have 2 dragons that are very healthy one is 4 now and the other will be 3 in July - as far as bringing it up to your parents are they going to be footing the bill for the correct husbandry the UVB basking lights the tank etc -- and food? Please ask questions and I will answer them as best as I can -

Addi_723

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome Addi - getting a dragon is a lot of responsibility and can be expensive getting them set up at first - you want the correct lighting and temps in the tank that is a big mistake a lot of people make when they get the dragon - this is what keeps the dragon healthy once those are in place your dragon will be healthy mind you they do get sick and some times its genetic and when getting a dragon you really dont know that - getting a older dragon is hard because you really dont know what kind of care the dragon has had so he may come to you already sick - I have lost 2 dragons so I know the pain of losing them - but I learned as well and now I have 2 dragons that are very healthy one is 4 now and the other will be 3 in July - as far as bringing it up to your parents are they going to be footing the bill for the correct husbandry the UVB basking lights the tank etc -- and food? Please ask questions and I will answer them as best as I can -
Thank you for the response! I have done extensive research before getting my old beardie, and I even got a free huge tank with timed lights and a cart below after getting my old beardie. As far as I know I am buying everything unless they surprise me with the actual bearded dragon for my birthday, but I have been saving and know how much I need. Last time I bought everything on my own, and as far as I know my parents should be ok with it as long as I show them I can afford everything and be responsible.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the response! I have done extensive research before getting my old beardie, and I even got a free huge tank with timed lights and a cart below after getting my old beardie. As far as I know I am buying everything unless they surprise me with the actual bearded dragon for my birthday, but I have been saving and know how much I need. Last time I bought everything on my own, and as far as I know my parents should be ok with it as long as I show them I can afford everything and be responsible.
Ok so what are you looking at for a uvb ? How big is the tank?

Latest posts