• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New parent- decreased appetite lately

ColoMtnGirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Syd is about 6" long total, unsure of age and sex.

I am new to the forum, new to being a beardie parent, and just have a couple questions about Syd's appetite recently.
Syd moved in on October 1st, and has adjusted quite well as far as I can tell.
The only thing is, his appetite seems to have decreased somewhat in the past 5-6 days.

He's a typical stubborn kid and doesn't want to eat his veggies, but I've read that his typical when they are young.
I offer a salad of kale or bok choy for greens, and sweet potatoes or green beans for veggies.

Everything I've read says to feed as many crickets as they can eat in 10 minutes or so.
I have done this since getting him, but some get away from him and hide.
I have redone his 'condo' so the crickets have almost no hiding spots, and I have provided them with food, and they do leave him alone.

My question is this:
Within the last 5-6 days, he doesn't seem to be eating many of his insects... should I be worried?

To try to answer some questions up front:
I don't offer too many crickets daily because there are a few roaming around his cage all the time.
He doesn't seem interested in new crickets dropped into his cage or the other ones already there.
There is a dish with about 5 small/mini meal worms in his tank which he also seems to avoid.
All of the food is the proper size, and I take care to remove any crickets that might be too large.
He drinks from a dropper as well as beads off the glass walls.
He's still pooping so he's not starving (right?) and seems to be hydrated fine.
He just finished a shed about three days ago... could that have affected his appetite?
His basking temperature is right around 90-95°F, with ambient temps of around 80-85°
Nighttime temps hover right around 75°
He is very active, and likes to explore his cage. He has not been lethargic at all.
Could redoing the layout of his cage cause him to eat less?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
I want to keep him healthy and happy.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A few things that could be causers of this.
1 It is highly suggested to get as many crickets as possible out of a tank after feeding a dragon as crickets can and often do chew on your lil one at night (could explain his loss in appetite as he is now scared of them)
2 your basking temp is far to low for a dragon of his age/size. Babies need basking site temps of 105-110 for proper digestion and health. So if you can raise your temps up you may see a drastic improvement.

I didnt see you list a UV source. Are you using a uv bulb at all? What is the name, brand, and age of it? Are you using any calcium or vitamin supplements?

Also for the hydration. Do you wittness him drinking from this dropper? It is my suggestion (and many others) that you soak a dragon 2-3 times a week to help keep them properly hydrated.

And welcome to the forum ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just agreeing with Brian and adding my two cents.

In addition to Brian's comments and questions, I would limit the kale too. Stick with the Bok Choi. Other greens are collard greens, mustard greens, dandelines.

Here is a link to our basic care sheet. Give it a read and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Bearded Dragon Care

Latest posts