• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner worried about beardie

kfoga126

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I’m new to owning a bearded dragon. I got Smaug for my birthday in late September and he was doing well. He’s a young beardie (no idea how old) but a little guy. Seemed active and happy, ate a lot. It took me awhile to find a bulb that would keep his 40 gallon tank hot enough. I got a 125 watt bulb and now the temp is 100-110. About two weeks ago his appetite lessened and he seemed very lethargic. I noticed he was shedding and read that was normal behavior. He still seems super lethargic and is probably eating one or two crickets a day. He might be shedding a little on the his sides still. He’s pooping normally. The humidity has gone up since the new bulb. I’ve taken his water out and put rice in socks to help with that and it’s still at 45-50%. I found out that sand is bad for young beardies so I’m switching it out tomorrow (fleece on the hot side and tile on the cool side). I live in Missouri and it’s starting to get cold here and I read about brumation. Could that possibly be what’s going on here? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Humidity is on the high side but not horrible over 55-60 is when you really want to worry. You can try a table top dehumidifier next to the tank to help lower it.

What are you using for UVB?

kfoga126

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently bought a exo terra solar glow lightbulb that’s 125 watts that should arrive today! I’ll look into buying a dehumidifier. The Humidity level is currently at 50, but gets higher at night.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The tabletop ones are great because they just sit next to the tank. I have one in my reptile room in the summer.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you had a fecal done to test for parasites??

kfoga126

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have not! I’m thinking that’s going to be my next move. How much does that normally cost? The dehumidifier made the humidity go down to 50% but it still goes up at night so doesn’t seem to be helping. The new bulb I got is suppose to be better for him, but is now only heating the tank to 100. He’s still not eating a lot and now I’m noticing his tail is stiff halfway down and looks a little gray.

Latest posts