• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Owner, Please Help!

goji0321

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Everyone,

I got my baby bearded dragon, Gojira, around a month ago. He is my first bearded dragon and my first reptile. I read somewhere that baby beardies can grow up to an inch per week and I am very concerned because Goji hasn't grown since I've gotten him :( He is very small, around 6 inches from head to tail (pictures attached). He shed the first week I got him, but not since then. I'm sorry in advance that this post is going to be long, I just want to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how I can help him!

Diet: I attempt to feed him live crickets 4 times per day. Usually, by the end of the day, he has only had 4-7 crickets total. These crickets are about the size between his eyes. I have tried feeding him smaller crickets (like pinhead crickets) and he had no interest in them lol. He has had problems in the past with eating, and I had to take him to the vet the second week I had him because he was down to one cricket per day and I thought something was wrong. The vet said he looked okay (but they couldn't do an X ray because he is too small) and they gave me a liquid diet to feed him with a syringe. A few days later, he was back to eating crickets. I gut load my crickets with fluker's orange cubes and sprinkle them with repticalcium + D3 (I now do this with every feeding because I thought maybe he's not getting enough calcium to grow). He has veggies in his tank during the day that are chopped very finely (varying between kale, bell pepper, green bean, and carrot). He has a water bowl on the cool side of his tank 24/7 and drinks from it occasionally.

Habitat: I have a 20 gallon tank with repticarpet substrate and I have placed newspapers on top of the carpet because the carpet seems like it may be difficult to clean. The newspaper is replaced daily/whenever he poops on it. His basking area usually stays around 98-108 degrees F, depending on the temperature of my room and how hot it is outside. I am using a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb that stays on for 14 hours per day. All lights are off for 10 hours per night and the tank has never gotten lower than 74 degrees during the night. I have a heat mat attached to the side of the tank in case the temperature needs a little boost. I have had trouble with the humidity, as it seems to get very high at night, sometimes exceeding 60%. The humidity will go down to about 38% during the day while his lights are on. I don't have the best hygrometer (it's not digital) but could the humidity be preventing him from growing? I have a tiny dehumidifier on the way that should get here tomorrow and I will order a digital hygrometer online because I haven't been able to find one in stores. I bathe him daily and he also frequently drinks water during his baths.

I am also worried that he is sick. Ever since I got him he frequently opens his mouth and seems to breath heavier, and when he exhales sometimes it makes a little click noise. I showed the vet a video of him doing this and she said it doesn't seem to be concerning so I don't know if this is normal behavior. I tried to attach a video to this post but it doesn't seem to work. I don't know if he's trying to puff up his beard at me or if he's having trouble breathing. Also, he is starting to develop some crust around his lips and I am concerned about that. I was able to get the crust off after using a wet q tip but it its starting to build up again. This is my first bearded dragon and I just want to help him. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me! I really care for him and am contemplating taking him to the vet again but I don't want to pay the expensive bill for them to tell me he's fine/too small to do any diagnostics because that's basically what happened last time :( Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3296.PNG
    IMG_3296.PNG
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3292.PNG
    IMG_3292.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3291.PNG
    IMG_3291.PNG
    5.7 MB · Views: 14

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
Doesn't look sick. I would limit the amount of carrots to maybe two-three times per a week. Try providing mustard greens as they usually prefer that over collard greens and kale. Also ..try feeding him small dubia roaches. He may respond better to those over crickets. Also...108 degrees is too hot for a bearded dragon of that age. I would try to keep it under 100 degrees at the basking spot. There's not too much you can do about the humidity but the dehumidifier might help a little. By the two or three month age mark he should be eating the equivalent of about 30 crickets a day...give or take a few.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Everyone,

I got my baby bearded dragon, Gojira, around a month ago. He is my first bearded dragon and my first reptile. I read somewhere that baby beardies can grow up to an inch per week and I am very concerned because Goji hasn't grown since I've gotten him :( He is very small, around 6 inches from head to tail (pictures attached). He shed the first week I got him, but not since then. I'm sorry in advance that this post is going to be long, I just want to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how I can help him!

Diet: I attempt to feed him live crickets 4 times per day. Usually, by the end of the day, he has only had 4-7 crickets total. These crickets are about the size between his eyes. I have tried feeding him smaller crickets (like pinhead crickets) and he had no interest in them lol. He has had problems in the past with eating, and I had to take him to the vet the second week I had him because he was down to one cricket per day and I thought something was wrong. The vet said he looked okay (but they couldn't do an X ray because he is too small) and they gave me a liquid diet to feed him with a syringe. A few days later, he was back to eating crickets. I gut load my crickets with fluker's orange cubes and sprinkle them with repticalcium + D3 (I now do this with every feeding because I thought maybe he's not getting enough calcium to grow). He has veggies in his tank during the day that are chopped very finely (varying between kale, bell pepper, green bean, and carrot). He has a water bowl on the cool side of his tank 24/7 and drinks from it occasionally.

Habitat: I have a 20 gallon tank with repticarpet substrate and I have placed newspapers on top of the carpet because the carpet seems like it may be difficult to clean. The newspaper is replaced daily/whenever he poops on it. His basking area usually stays around 98-108 degrees F, depending on the temperature of my room and how hot it is outside. I am using a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb that stays on for 14 hours per day. All lights are off for 10 hours per night and the tank has never gotten lower than 74 degrees during the night. I have a heat mat attached to the side of the tank in case the temperature needs a little boost. I have had trouble with the humidity, as it seems to get very high at night, sometimes exceeding 60%. The humidity will go down to about 38% during the day while his lights are on. I don't have the best hygrometer (it's not digital) but could the humidity be preventing him from growing? I have a tiny dehumidifier on the way that should get here tomorrow and I will order a digital hygrometer online because I haven't been able to find one in stores. I bathe him daily and he also frequently drinks water during his baths.

I am also worried that he is sick. Ever since I got him he frequently opens his mouth and seems to breath heavier, and when he exhales sometimes it makes a little click noise. I showed the vet a video of him doing this and she said it doesn't seem to be concerning so I don't know if this is normal behavior. I tried to attach a video to this post but it doesn't seem to work. I don't know if he's trying to puff up his beard at me or if he's having trouble breathing. Also, he is starting to develop some crust around his lips and I am concerned about that. I was able to get the crust off after using a wet q tip but it its starting to build up again. This is my first bearded dragon and I just want to help him. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me! I really care for him and am contemplating taking him to the vet again but I don't want to pay the expensive bill for them to tell me he's fine/too small to do any diagnostics because that's basically what happened last time :( Thank you!!!!
Your dragon is shedding around the mouth -- the gaping is him adjusting his body temp --- your going to need to upgrade that 20 gallon tank here real soon --- now the most IMPORTANT PART the lighting and basking temps in the tank ---- first off you need a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where he basks---- 105-110 NO hotter --- next the basking bulb MUST BE a bright white bub NO colored of any kind -- and CRUCIAL a long tube UVB -- NO coils ---- if your using a coil I would recommend you get a 24" fixture and I would get the Zoo Med one it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb use that for now on the 20 gallon tank ---- it MUST BE unobstructed so either take the screen off and clamp the basking bulb at the end of the tank and place the fixture width wise on the tank and butt the screen up to the UVB fixture --- place a piece of decor directly under it approx 6-8 inches ----- your dragon should be eating way more than he is now for having him a month ----- so I am thinking its the UVB issue --- they will not eat w/ out proper basking temps and UVB ---- the UVB helps them absorb the calcium they need to grow and prevent a ton of health issues MBD being the most common --- he should be on salads now as well -
ignore the kale thing its good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Start feeding the crickets food --- you want the dragon eating good food that the crickets eat and dust the crickets w/ Calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene which I think your using a good one 2 x per week ONCE per feeding ---- I would get a bowl that insects cannot get out of like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Order some BSFL order large as they are small DO NOT dust them they are calcium enriched www.symtonbsf.com -- add them in front of him first thing in the morning when feeding him his salads it will draw his attention to the bowl -- feed as many as you want as they are a good baby staple feeder --- I would also feed his crickets as well to go along w/ the BSFL or get some dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com --- they are easier to keep and to feed -- you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed dubia food along w/ water crystals --- they are a better feeder and keep easier --- but please get the lighting and UVB in order first ---- when you upgrade to a bigger tank your going to want to get the Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 ---- its going to need to go into that fixture I recommended for a 40+ gallon tank ---- I would look for a bigger tank than the 40 tho as you will need to get a bigger one than that so I would look for a 75-120 gallon --- if you need any more help please ask
here is a pic of my 20 gallon when I had it set up for Blaze the dome on the end is a CHE only needed at nite to keep temps around 70-75 --

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood 24" fixture
and you will need this when you upgrade to a 40+ gallon tank
22" bulb https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
Bur for now use the 5.0 --- the 10.0 bulb is going to be too strong for a 20 gallon tank -- you need higher distance for this bulb to be used so use the 5.0
I would get a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall the tank --- optimal 30-50% humidity nothing under 20% and nothing over 70%

goji0321

Bearded Dragon Egg
Doesn't look sick. I would limit the amount of carrots to maybe two-three times per a week. Try providing mustard greens as they usually prefer that over collard greens and kale. Also ..try feeding him small dubia roaches. He may respond better to those over crickets. Also...108 degrees is too hot for a bearded dragon of that age. I would try to keep it under 100 degrees at the basking spot. There's not too much you can do about the humidity but the dehumidifier might help a little. By the two or three month age mark he should be eating the equivalent of about 30 crickets a day...give or take a few.
Okay thank you for your help! I bought duba roaches that should be here by Thursday

goji0321

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your dragon is shedding around the mouth -- the gaping is him adjusting his body temp --- your going to need to upgrade that 20 gallon tank here real soon --- now the most IMPORTANT PART the lighting and basking temps in the tank ---- first off you need a digital probe thermometer placed on the spot where he basks---- 105-110 NO hotter --- next the basking bulb MUST BE a bright white bub NO colored of any kind -- and CRUCIAL a long tube UVB -- NO coils ---- if your using a coil I would recommend you get a 24" fixture and I would get the Zoo Med one it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb use that for now on the 20 gallon tank ---- it MUST BE unobstructed so either take the screen off and clamp the basking bulb at the end of the tank and place the fixture width wise on the tank and butt the screen up to the UVB fixture --- place a piece of decor directly under it approx 6-8 inches ----- your dragon should be eating way more than he is now for having him a month ----- so I am thinking its the UVB issue --- they will not eat w/ out proper basking temps and UVB ---- the UVB helps them absorb the calcium they need to grow and prevent a ton of health issues MBD being the most common --- he should be on salads now as well -
ignore the kale thing its good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Start feeding the crickets food --- you want the dragon eating good food that the crickets eat and dust the crickets w/ Calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene which I think your using a good one 2 x per week ONCE per feeding ---- I would get a bowl that insects cannot get out of like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Order some BSFL order large as they are small DO NOT dust them they are calcium enriched www.symtonbsf.com -- add them in front of him first thing in the morning when feeding him his salads it will draw his attention to the bowl -- feed as many as you want as they are a good baby staple feeder --- I would also feed his crickets as well to go along w/ the BSFL or get some dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com --- they are easier to keep and to feed -- you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed dubia food along w/ water crystals --- they are a better feeder and keep easier --- but please get the lighting and UVB in order first ---- when you upgrade to a bigger tank your going to want to get the Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 ---- its going to need to go into that fixture I recommended for a 40+ gallon tank ---- I would look for a bigger tank than the 40 tho as you will need to get a bigger one than that so I would look for a 75-120 gallon --- if you need any more help please ask
here is a pic of my 20 gallon when I had it set up for Blaze the dome on the end is a CHE only needed at nite to keep temps around 70-75 --
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate you getting back to me! I have a digital probe thermometer in the basking area that reads around 98-108 depending on the conditions outside. I will have to work harder to keep it above 105 because on cooler days like today it stays closer to 98. I also have an additional heat lamp that I can use to bring it up to the right temperature, I just don't want it to get too high while I am at work.

I am going to go to a local pet store tomorrow and see if I can find the fixture/UVB bulb you have recommended to try and solve this issue right away. If not, I will order them online as soon as possible. I have ordered the bowl you recommended which will help me keep food in his enclosure at all times. I tried BSFL with him and he doesn't seem to have any interest in them but I ordered some dubia roaches that should be here by Thursday. Thank you again for your help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate you getting back to me! I have a digital probe thermometer in the basking area that reads around 98-108 depending on the conditions outside. I will have to work harder to keep it above 105 because on cooler days like today it stays closer to 98. I also have an additional heat lamp that I can use to bring it up to the right temperature, I just don't want it to get too high while I am at work.

I am going to go to a local pet store tomorrow and see if I can find the fixture/UVB bulb you have recommended to try and solve this issue right away. If not, I will order them online as soon as possible. I have ordered the bowl you recommended which will help me keep food in his enclosure at all times. I tried BSFL with him and he doesn't seem to have any interest in them but I ordered some dubia roaches that should be here by Thursday. Thank you again for your help!
What wattage of bulb are you using? You can try raising the decor piece as well-- yes you don't want the tank too hot if your at work- he will go to a cooler area if it gets too hot on the basking side

Latest posts