• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new owner of a bearded dragon ....hello

knoxvillerocks

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello. I am a brand new owner. I purchased a bearded dragon for my son's 11th birthday. It is a lot bigger than the ones at petstart and am surprised about that!. I went to pick him up with all his equipment today. The woman said he was 10 inches and I measured 17 total! She said she had him for 1 1/2 years. She gave me the lamps, tank, wood, bowls, rock. Also she said he eats mealworms and certain plant from her garden, like a passion vine. I have heard from many people online that mealworms are not the best food but that is what she has been giving him. She gave me some to start a colony with, a big bucket of them. She also had a female that she kept. He is very mellow and easy going.
Does any one have any ideas about his age?
What about the mealworms? should I just keep feeding him the same things she has. He seems so big to me but then again, I have never had one. We really are so fond of him already. I want him to be comftarble and happy with us.
She had him in a bathroom. Is it a good idea to have him in a living room so he has things to see or can I keep him in my son's room? my son is in there some of the time.
I was told to turn off both lights at night, is that correct?
I am looking forward to getting more information and input about this guy.
He also needs a *name*. Any hints?
The Turner family: Sophie (me), Jeremy (his 11 year old owner) etc.
My photos are too big to post so here is a link to the dragon on photobucket.
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll168/orangeracer434/?action=view&current=GEDC0398.jpg

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Sophie,
Welcome to the forum.
There is a lot of good information on the main site in regard to diet. I feed my 5 month old beardie mostly crickets and dubias. I dust his crickets with calcium. I feed him greens, (he is very fond of collard greens), and some fruit, depending on his tastes. NO citrus. Once they reach adulthood their diet is mostly greens. I am sure somebody else on here with more experience will explain that to you better than I could..
As far as size goes goes it is my understanding they can reach up to 2 feet in length when they are full grown.
He is in my room with me, but would be equally happy in the living room. I have him in here because it is warmer in the winter time. I do not know where you are from but it is very important to provide a heat source for your new baby at night if temperatures get below 65F.
It is important to soak them in a warm water "bath". I use the sink for Marley. He still fits. That is how they stay hydrated. Also if you are able I would encourage a vet check.
I love my baby Marley, and I am certain you will enjoy your new family member.

Deb

knoxvillerocks

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That is all excellent advice. I was told about the bath in the sink to stay hydrated by the old owner. I will have it vet checked in 2 weeks. It is so sweet. So I can change its diet even though that has been what he's been fed? My house is set at 70 on average at night. I get too hot. I heard they semi hibernate at night. I am going to enjoy this animal very much. I was very resistant when my 11 year old asked me for it. I think I will enjoy having an older dragon such as this, it has a real personality. I cracked up so hard when he turned his head to look at me today. I am not sure how I can adore him so much already but I do.
Is is ok to have him with me outside in the nice warm sun. The mid day sun is just great here lately, real warm.
The lady who sold him to me cried. I can see why now.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah. Mine loves the crickets too. :)I've only had coco for 3 months, and im already hooked. Do you know why she had to give him up?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes you can take him outside... I would highly advise a harness with a long lead though...

Congrates on the newcomer to your life !

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My Marley LOVES to be outside in the warm weather...Names for your new friend? Thats a tough one. They are so sweet...I think its up tp you...Get to know him. Yes they listen to you. Marley tips his head like a dog does. (back and forth). I am on love with him..I even kiss him.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and congrats on your new addition. I take Oscar outside when the weather is nice on a leash that I made out of an old pair of my daughters jeans and a shoe sting. Piggy however does not go outside, even on a leash. She stresses too bad and will hide for hours after I bring her in. As far as food, both of mine eat collard greens daily, and I rotate out small amounts of treat foods 3-4 times a week. Some treat foods are red bell pepper (a favorite for both), cucumber, strawberry, blueberries, and different types of squash. For live feeders, Oscar get 20-25 crickets/week dusted with calcium. Piggy, when she wakes up she will be reduced to 20-25 crickets/week now that she is over 18 months. They also get 5 supers a week, they love these!!! When I have extra money I get them things like silk worms and other yummy things like that.

Latest posts