• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner - juvenile (?) BD Impaction advice

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay so we have only had our BD for 2 weeks and have been learning as we go. So of course the dreaded Impaction issue has already reared its ugly head. I know he’s impacted because he was going every day like clockwork and then yesterday nothing, plus he accidentally got 2 bigger crickets 2 days ago and I can feel a hard limp near the opening where he poops. I’ve tried 2 warm baths but he isn’t a big fan and then the water starts to get cool, so all in all I don’t think it’s productive. I fed him yesterday before realizing what was going on but not today. Should I offer him any kind of food? Are impactions that far down (I think it’s right inside) worse because there’s no room to maneuver it like I’ve read about through massages? What else can I do??? HELP and TIA!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, its a bit early to say for sure it's impaction after not pooping for just one day, especially at this time of year. They can go several days to several weeks without pooping as their metabolisms slow down for winter. Hard to say what the lump you can feel is, but it could be something else entirely.
As you have only had him for a couple of weeks, I would suggest taking him to a reptile vets for a checkup. They will be able to xray him and check for any possible impaction and do bloodworks to check for any other problems and a fecal check for parasites. This would give you a good baseline for his general health.
Its important at this point that you do not panic, as this could all be normal. In the meantime, keep feeding as normal.
What is your enclosure setup like? lights and temps can affect digestion. Also are you using a substrate like sand or another particulate?

Srhking247

Hatchling Dragon
Did he end up pooping? I agree with the bath. Sometimes thats the only way my beardie will want to poop. Which tbh i dont mind. Much easier clean up lol. My adult beardie was impacted and i gave him a little bit of some baby prune then 15min later a warm bath then boom the biggest poop ive ever seen for the poor guy.

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
Try giving him a nice juicy hornworm, they are easy to digest and full of water.

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for all of the advice - he did end up going but only after I have him a piece of kale with a drop of mineral oil on it. Hope that was okay Tried bath but he absolutely hates it every time we put him in! Since he’s still skittish even when being picked up and held we’ve not wanted to force him with the water. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with impaction ever - kind of scary! When can we expect him to be more friendly? He’s my 11-year-old’s pet, but he’s extremely gentle and mature for his age when it comes to animals so that’s not the issue.

Latest posts