• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Momma to Two Beardies

jones2831

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello Everyone!

For the past month I have been taking care of two bearded dragons, Whimsey and Spikey. Both a little less than 4 months old. I had them enclosures set up with lighting fixtures basef on what they need. Made sure they have enough food to ear too.

This is my first time to take care of their likes. Mostly I have been to dogs and fishes. Now I have been to tarantulas and bearded dragons. I'm lovingitl so far!

I think I'm lucky to have found this site. I still have a lot to learn and people here seem to be very helpful. There were other forums I checked but are only approving accounts by region.

Anyway... Whimsey has been opening her mouth everytime. Gawking? Not sure. Read somewhere that a gawking dragon is a happy dragon but my husband says it might be an early sign of respiratory infection. So that bothered me. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20180426_130010.jpg
    IMG_20180426_130010.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 44

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi welcome to the forum. When beardies bask they will gape their mouths to regulate their temperatures, its quite normal, its what they do instead of sweating. Just be sure the temperature of his basking spots are not too high, but generally they will move to a cooler part of the tank if they get too hot.
Your tank setups look good, plenty of room, they should thrive in there. You will love being a beardie mom, they are amiable little critters.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looking good, they are great critters! Take a look at the links that are below several of our comments as we have put together tons of info for reference. The info is also located in the general care section..

jones2831

Bearded Dragon Egg
T
Hi welcome to the forum. When beardies bask they will gape their mouths to regulate their temperatures, its quite normal, its what they do instead of sweating. Just be sure the temperature of his basking spots are not too high, but generally they will move to a cooler part of the tank if they get too hot.
Your tank setups look good, plenty of room, they should thrive in there. You will love being a beardie mom, they are amiable little critters.

Thank you! I studied about how to keep them comfortable before actually getting those babies. I made sure they got all they need from enclosures to lighting fixtures, everything.

She gapes even when she's out of her basking light or sun. She does that when she's just hanging out with the kids. I can't stop but to compare her with the other berdie that we have and I think she gape more than the other. Tried looking for signs of R.I. (excess mucus in the nostrils and mouth, difficulty in breathing, cough, etc.) And it seems that everything is normal. Are we just paranoid or something? We are 1st time parents of berdie that's why we just want to be sure that everything is A OK. TIA for all your inputs. Cheers...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
T

Thank you! I studied about how to keep them comfortable before actually getting those babies. I made sure they got all they need from enclosures to lighting fixtures, everything.

She gapes even when she's out of her basking light or sun. She does that when she's just hanging out with the kids. I can't stop but to compare her with the other berdie that we have and I think she gape more than the other. Tried looking for signs of R.I. (excess mucus in the nostrils and mouth, difficulty in breathing, cough, etc.) And it seems that everything is normal. Are we just paranoid or something? We are 1st time parents of berdie that's why we just want to be sure that everything is A OK. TIA for all your inputs. Cheers...
Just keep an eye on her, if you start hearing noises as she breathes then I would have her checked.. My young male would make a puffing noise when I would have him out on my chest at night, my other 2 never made that noise so I decided to have him looked at..mouth fine...Until after the struggle to see in his mouth he was making a noise when breathing that was not normal..so it was a minor URI so on meds he went. So if you question things see a vet.

jones2831

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just keep an eye on her, if you start hearing noises as she breathes then I would have her checked.. My young male would make a puffing noise when I would have him out on my chest at night, my other 2 never made that noise so I decided to have him looked at..mouth fine...Until after the struggle to see in his mouth he was making a noise when breathing that was not normal..so it was a minor URI so on meds he went. So if you question things see a vet.

Thanks!

I tried calling vets arojnd my area but they only do dogs and cats. Bummer.

Maybe she's fine. I don't hear anything from her that I find unusual. I'm probably just too paranoid.

Attaching her photo of her favorite past time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180502_102030_885.jpg
    IMG_20180502_102030_885.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 21

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks!

I tried calling vets arojnd my area but they only do dogs and cats. Bummer.

Maybe she's fine. I don't hear anything from her that I find unusual. I'm probably just too paranoid.

Attaching her photo of her favorite past time.
Keep looking for a reptile vet as they do need to be seen for routine health checks just like dogs and cats including fecal testing for parasites..They should be seen once they settle into their new homes. It is normal for dragons to have low levels of parasites but their bodies are able to maintain those low levels..However stress can trigger those levels to get out of hand..When they are old enough to brumate they need to be seen before they go down for the winter and again once they wake up in Spring.. A dragon with parasites that enters brumation is more likely not to wake in the Spring as the parasites take all the nutrients from the dragon causing the dragon to become to weak to wake.
Some folks here have to drive much longer distances to get to exotic vets for their dragons.

jones2831

Bearded Dragon Egg
Keep looking for a reptile vet as they do need to be seen for routine health checks just like dogs and cats including fecal testing for parasites..They should be seen once they settle into their new homes. It is normal for dragons to have low levels of parasites but their bodies are able to maintain those low levels..However stress can trigger those levels to get out of hand..When they are old enough to brumate they need to be seen before they go down for the winter and again once they wake up in Spring.. A dragon with parasites that enters brumation is more likely not to wake in the Spring as the parasites take all the nutrients from the dragon causing the dragon to become to weak to wake.
Some folks here have to drive much longer distances to get to exotic vets for their dragons.
I live in the Philippines where it's pretty much summer all year long. Will he still brumate even in this condition?

And yeah, I found a reptile vet in the city. About 2-3 hr drive but at least i got one.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I live in the Philippines where it's pretty much summer all year long. Will he still brumate even in this condition?

And yeah, I found a reptile vet in the city. About 2-3 hr drive but at least i got one.
Even in warm climates they can brumate it's hard wired in them, they still need a down time for them to kinda re set their bodies in prep for mating.. It may be a shorter time period or it may just be here and there they just sleep for a week or so..
Glad you found a reptile vet

Latest posts