• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Mom & Worried

estrileckis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, all!

I am brand new to the reptile world. I grew up with cats and dogs, but never owned a bearded dragon or anything similar.

We adopted Puff by chance. A friend of mine was in desperate need to find a family for Puff. Her father was taking care of him because a friend asked to watch him for a while. Turns out, the friend of her father's never came back for Puff and literally disappeared off the face of the planet. It wasn't even a consideration until my fiancee suggested it. We bought a Zilla bearded dragon kit (the largest one so he has plenty of room) and prepared for his arrival by watching videos and researching bearded dragons. When my friend delivered Puff to us, he had been living in a large plastic container with no lights or any amenities. My friend described his daily routine as eating crickets and basking in their backyard.

The first two days he was perfect. We were feeding him kale, a little bit of broccoli, a little bit of strawberry, a few crickets (not gutloaded), and the bearded dragon food that came with the tank. He was alert, active, eating, exploring, etc. He took a quick liking to my fiancee (not so much me, but that's ok) and seemed happy overall. I started thinking something was wrong after two days. I woke up to the sound of him whisking about in his tank and noticed he had pooped and spread his poop EVERYWHERE. There was some white in his poop and he seemed almost irritable. I removed his log, water dish, food dish and soaked them in a bleach solution withdish soap. After soaking them I rinsed them thoroughly and dried them. I cleaned my sink and filled it with a few inches of warm water. I tested the water on my wrist to make sure it was warm but not too hot. I placed him in the water and after a few seconds, he jumped out of the sink on to the counter. I put him back in the sink but he didn't appear too thrilled so I took him out, dried him with a towel, and let him hangout while I took out the reptile carpet (it was so soiled I had to throw it out), cleaned the tank, and laid newspaper. I fed him some kale and strawberries, which he ate with no problem. When my fiancee returned home from work, he successfully bathed Puff.

Since then, he has seemed lethargic and it gets more noticeable by the day. Yesterday, he only ate when my fiancee hand-fed him. He will never go out of his way to get crickets, he just waits until they are right in front of him to eat them. Today I brought him some crickets and he didn't even eat one, he just laid in the same corner I left him in at 8 this morning. He refuses to go to his food dish and eat the collard greens and sweet potato I prepared, but he accepted collard greens from me when I hand-fed him.

He is normally asleep around 7pm, but it is now 8:35pm and he is still in the same corner, expect now he is laying with his head down and flat on his belly.

I don't know what to do or think, I am so worried about him.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey there, congrats on your new beardie. Its a very good thing of you to do to adopt a beardie in need. Since you've adopted a neglected one, and you don't have reptile experience, you'll have to learn quickly. But don't worry, we are here to help.

First of all, those bearded dragon kits are convenient, but don't always come with the best stuff, and not always what you will need. Can you give us some information on your enclosure? A picture would be great. Along with what kind of lights, what the temperatures are. We may also benefit from a picture of the actual dragon so we can get a feel for what kind of shape he's in.

Yes, they will absolutely poop and then run through it and smear it everywhere. They're known for it, not much you can do besides getting to it before he has a chance to make a mess of it. The white in his poop is perfectly normal, a good sign even. It means he's hydrated. They're actually supposed to have the white. So don't get stressed about that.

As for bath time, its good to bathe them often. Probably even daily for now. Especially since you know he wasn't getting proper care before he came into your hands. Mine tries so escape the bath for a few minutes before settling in and enjoying it. So don't worry if he's jumping around like that. Just keep at it. He will get more used to it as time goes on.

As for feeding him, you want to be as nutritional as possible right now especially. Collard greens are great, red bell peppers, squash would be good. I would recommend that you just throw out the bearded dragon food you probably received with your kit. That stuff is processed and not good at all. Live bugs and fresh veggies will always be 100x better than that stuff. Its like fast food for us, it'll fill our bellies, but its not good for us.
Definitely gut load the crickets. You don't have to get fancy with it, you can feed them the same veggies your feeding your dragon. Its also a good idea to dust them with calcium and multivitamin powder before feeding them to add extra nutrition.

If hand feeding him is the only way he's eating his veggies right now, keep hand feeding him. However you can get that nutrition in him, do it.
He could just be stressed about being relocated and being in a new environment. Just from what you said, i suspect maybe his lighting needs some adjustment, but its hard to say.

Keep us updated, and like i said, pictures of the enclosure and beardie would help a lot. Along with what kind of UVB light youre using and what the temperatures are, especially his basking spot.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
BrookeE gave some solid advise. Those kits are horrible and my guess is that you are using a coil UVB bulb for him. Coil bulbs hurt their eyes and don't provide proper exposure. I would get a tube UVB bulb, T5 bulbs are the best and can be set on top of the mesh top. If you go with a T8 size bulb, you want to mount it inside the tank as close to the top as possible.

I would also get an IR temp gun to measure your temperatures. If you are using the analog gauges that came with the tank, they are highly inaccurate and doesn't give you the temperature in the basking spot, only the temp around the glass (where your bearded dragon is not sitting).

Oh and the white stuff in the poop is normal, it's their urate or pee. They don't pee like wee do, it comes out in a solid form. The white part actually tells you a lot about your dragons health. If it's darker in color, it could be dehydrated, if it's orangy, you could be using to much calcium. If its real hard or real small, it could be dehydrated.

Here is a link to healthy food items http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Take a look at the links below several of our comments as we have put together a ton of info for new owners it's packed full of info that will be very helpful..

Latest posts