• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new member with questions

hammons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello,
I don't have a bearded dragon yet, but I am trying to get the stuff I will need for its enclosure beforehand. I got some textured slate tiles for the bottom from Lowes, as I have read that for babies the sand is not good. I was looking into the magnaturals ledges; has anyone used them/what is your opinion on whether it will hold the weight of the dragon once it is older? Also, they sell these water drippers and cannisters--would it even use it? I know they don't need the regular water dish, but how do they get their water? Misting? Sorry, I just haven't owned one before and want to do the best I can for it.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome.jpg

Providing they are properly secured, I don't see any problem with using the magnaturals ledges. I wouldn't use the style with holes in it though, just provides hiding spots for feeders. I would not use the water drippers, as they would raise the humidity. These are a Desert\Scrubland creature, not many puddles or ponds in their natural habitat. BDs in captivity get their hydration from their food, regular Mistings & Warm Soaks that should be a basic part of the husbandry. This will help Hydrate, clean them out inside & out ;) & is a great help during sheds. Misting should be done outside the enclosure.

There is no reason to be sorry, Kudos to you for asking questions & wanting to get everything right & enclosure setup properly prior to acquiring your new pet so it has a well setup enclosure to be brought home to
icon_thumright-1.gif
. This really helps with the acclimation period & keeps stress minimal.

Good Luck

hammons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I plan on getting the reptiglo 10. What length bulb should I get if my enclosure is 38in x 18in x 18in? I want to put it inside somehow like other people do; would I need to take out the background that comes with the cage? Or could I somehow fasten it to the screen lid? It is an exo terra.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
18"-24" UVB tube will do the job. As far as mounting or background issues, that is difficult to speculate on, not knowing the enclosure. A picture is worth a thousand words ;) .