• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member with an aggressive dragon...

Spyr0

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for the advice. I havent held his mouth shut for days now and i finally tried handling him today and same results as usual. I did try the cloth with my scent on it and it doesnt seem to have helped yet but im going to keep trying everything. I did decide to build my own tank so im making a 4x2x2 tank. Im going to try putting my hand in again and and just letting it sit there by him for a few minutes, i did this earlier and i was able to get my finger under his head without him biting me but i had to move my hand closer about an 1/8" at a time. But its progress so i'll take it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bulb that I'm using now is a basking bulb but I'm guessing it just needs to be a higher wattage? Once you get those pictures uploaded that will help me out a lot to know what I should all do with the setup.
6b91a55f19ebd9542deef5e8351c20cf.jpg

a70f010c13bde74e336cf00e410e3f58.jpg

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so there are my 2 40g breeder tanks.. the Top one is my 1 1/2 year old female Izzy she is pretty lazy and really only goes back and forth on the bridge and up and down her basking log.
The second pic is my 1 year old male Simon, he is a bit of a wild child so he has less things in there since he is a big boy at 20" he needs the space.
They both get and hour or more running around a safe room that is set up for them.

Spyr0

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome! Those setups look really nice and like they took you a while to do! I finally got a new bulb and a CHE for Spyro and he already seems to be moving around more, although still trying to bite me through the glass..

Spyr0

Bearded Dragon Egg
Since i got the new bulbs his basking spot is now reading at a steady 97 degrees, much better than it was. The cool side of the tank is at 80 so I'm planning on turning it so its right along one side instead of kinda in the middle, should help cool it down a few more degrees on the cool side, and then i'll just turn it off at night. House is set at 71 and stays right around there so he should be fine.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you..
I have a few suggestions based on the picture of yours. I would throw out the pellets and dry bugs.. Remember LIVE is always best so are you feeding live bugs and greens?
Also I would cover 2-3 sides of his tank I think he may be aggressive because he's overwhelmed with all that's around him..

Spyr0

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thank you for that. I have been providing about 4-6 superworms a day along with crickets every couple days. Also have been giving greens and some carrots and stuff but he doesn't like to usually eat that much very often.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you for that. I have been providing about 4-6 superworms a day along with crickets every couple days. Also have been giving greens and some carrots and stuff but he doesn't like to usually eat that much very often.

Babies should be fed 3 times a day bugs and provide greens everyday, don't be worried if they don't eat the greens right away as right now as babies they need more bugs than greens... make sure you feed your feeders the same greens so that way when they eat the bugs they get some that way. If you've read the link that is below some of our comments take a look at the food items link that will help you on how often to feed the items. carrots are not an everyday to be fed item.

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Since i got the new bulbs his basking spot is now reading at a steady 97 degrees, much better than it was. The cool side of the tank is at 80 so I'm planning on turning it so its right along one side instead of kinda in the middle, should help cool it down a few more degrees on the cool side, and then i'll just turn it off at night. House is set at 71 and stays right around there so he should be fine.
Not sure if anyone has stated, but babies need their basking spot to be 100, to like 105 normally. Others will confirm this, but it should be warmer than the 97 you state it is, and are you using one of those stick on analog thermometers or a digital probe type? Those stick ons that come with kits are horribly inaccurate.

Spyr0

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using a nice digital one. I had the stick on one and quickly realized that it was horrible haha. Its actually been at about 99 today so I think thats close enough for now until I can get him into something bigger.. My dad ended up changing my plans for his tank and now its on hold until he tells me what wood I'm using. Went out and bought some and then he told me that I can use some of the nicer oak that he already had.. Oh well. I'll be finding out tonight and then its off to the races.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a nice digital one. I had the stick on one and quickly realized that it was horrible haha. Its actually been at about 99 today so I think thats close enough for now until I can get him into something bigger.. My dad ended up changing my plans for his tank and now its on hold until he tells me what wood I'm using. Went out and bought some and then he told me that I can use some of the nicer oak that he already had.. Oh well. I'll be finding out tonight and then its off to the races.

How is your little one doing? You would be surprised what a few degrees will do on their behavior overall, so if your little one is still a bit off up the temp and see what happens.

Spyr0

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has still been biting me but he seems to be eating and pooping normally so i'm at least not worried about that. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks! :)
@Hdrydr31

Latest posts