• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Member---need HELP.....HELP with Dragon

kingmed

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in Wichita Falls Tx. and went to the next town close by and picked up a Beardie for free, the lady who I met last night at Petco stated she had one she was wanting to get rid of. The lady stated that she had the tank, lights and everything else to go along with the lizard. Well pick him/her up today and the two and half dragon was in a 20 gallon with sand in it, and very aggressive. The dragon who's name is Beardie is drinking from a rusting cat/dog food bowel, no UVB light and have no idea on how long it's been since Beardie has had one in the tank. I am not an expert by any means but I'm sure this is not good, can't afford a UVB light at present time, thought she would have one with the daragon especially since he is 2.5 years old. She says she gave him to a lady who had 3 cats a while back and the cats were very mean to him/her, I'm thinking this is part if not most of the aggression. When you try to pick Beardie up he flattens his body and opens his mouth like he would rather bite the heck out of you than anything. No. 1 what can I do...I thought about putting Beardie on craigslist for someone who could take better care of him, also if I try to pick him up what is the chance of getting bit and does it hurt when they bite. Any advise would be very very appreciated. THANKS.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
For one, a 20 gallon is way too small for an adult beardie. Depending on the type of sand, can be bad. As far as no uvb, if y ou decide to keep him/her, take it out side if the temp permits and get uvb asap. Aggressiveness can be worked out over time, and their bites CAN hurt, but mostly its just a "leave me alone" bite. I would recommend a vet visit and proper accomidations asap if y ou plan on keepin it....and get rid of the dog bowl

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is possible with time that you can prove to this poor animal that it's finally in a loving home. UVB is very important & not that expensive. If you can't really invest the time & money (which is totally understandable nowadays) I would recommend listing him on Craigslist or we might have a member in your area that could pick the dragon up. Getting bit can hurt & if your dragon is showing signs of aggression, I would definitely let the dragon acclimate/adjust to it's new surroundings if you plan on keeping it. Usually takes up to a couple weeks for them to adjust, it is recommended you only go into their enclosure to feed & clean during this time. It shows them that you are only providing & caring for them. You may see a considerable change of behavior in this amount of time (for the better). By posting this thread you've proven you care about this dragons wellbeing & that is applauded. If you do keep this dragon their are plenty of members to help provide the info needed for a healthy environment. Keep it, keep it! :)

kingmed

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks you all for all the help, I did post it on Craigslist today for 25.00, will give it away if someone calls, I will hopefully be giving it to someone who already has a setup and knows how to properly take care of a Bearded Dragon. At the present time I have a sulcata tortoise, a pregnant guinea pig and have no job at present time so keeping the Dragon is not much of an option at present time. Yes I do care about animals and since I'm not able to take care of this one I am willing to try and find a home very very soon for him, I live in Wichita Falls Tx. and I'm thinking that I might be able to either find some one on craigslist or someone who works at either petco or petsmart who may be able to take one in. If anyone knows of anyone in the area please let me know.

Latest posts