• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New home set up help please!

Donny

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a new tank and I want to put the right bedding inside. What is the best and what is the name of the best? I just bought a 40 gallon tank what size bulbs should I use? And what watts? Are heating pads the best for night to keep the tank warm? What are some other tips to setting up my tank to keep Donny healthy? I really like the sand look but is it the best? He is about 2 months old I think. I got him from petsmart and he is about 9.5 inches. He eats great and is passing feces normally! I am excited to set up his new home but I want to make it comfortable for him! Should I clean the tank before the new set up? How do I clean it with what? Now I use the carpet is that a good bedding for the new tank? The only thing I don't like about the carpet is that the crickets get under it and I can't get them out! I am just new to bearded dragons and I want to make his home the way it would be safest and the most easiest to take care of him. Any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For a baby, newspaper, paper towels, reptile carpet, non adhesive shelf liner or tile are the best substrates to use. If you like the sand look I would suggest waiting until your baby is over a year old and then using clean sifted play sand. The bulb wattage will depend on the temps in your home as well as how far away the light is from the tank. I always keep a range of wattages from 30 watt up to 100. Under tank heaters aren't recommended for beardies because they can't sense heat on thier bellies and can get burned. You don't need heat at night unless the temps drop below 65*f. If they fall below that I would suggest a ceramic heat emitter. They put off heat without light.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Donny said:
I have a new tank and I want to put the right bedding inside. What is the best and what is the name of the best? For a baby, non particle is always best. Reptile carpet, non adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, ceramic tiles. I just bought a 40 gallon tank what size bulbs should I use? And what watts? Use regular household bulbs. The watt will depend on many variables. Use a digital thermomoeter and put it on the basking spot. Start with a 60 watt...if too cool go to a 75 etc. 105-110* for a baby is ideal. Are heating pads the best for night to keep the tank warm? No under the tank heaters...beardies don't feel heat from below, they can get burned. If your house stays above 60* at night you need no night heat. What are some other tips to setting up my tank to keep Donny healthy? I really like the sand look but is it the best? Sand really should not be used until a beardie is an adult and only if they don't "taste" with their tongues. He is about 2 months old I think. I got him from petsmart and he is about 9.5 inches. He eats great and is passing feces normally! I am excited to set up his new home but I want to make it comfortable for him! Should I clean the tank before the new set up? Yes, always clean first 10% bleach 90% water. Make sure to thoroughly rinse many times. How do I clean it with what? Now I use the carpet is that a good bedding for the new tank? The only thing I don't like about the carpet is that the crickets get under it and I can't get them out! I am just new to bearded dragons and I want to make his home the way it would be safest and the most easiest to take care of him. Any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

42dragon*

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am a believer in feeding in a separate area because the crickets are tricky to get out and will bite the toes of the dragon and cause serious problems. I use a small clear storage bin I just have a towel on the bottom that I taped down with double sided tape. Plus this gets the beardie some attention from you and they love that I put a heating pad under the tub to warm it and check the temp to be about 80 and put her in the tub. I turn the pad off when it reaches that temp and that helps stay warm in the cold plastic. She loves it I feed her veggies and fruit in the bigger regular tank though. This is what works for me and I use a towel in the tank for her to run around on, it is softer and she will curl up and fall asleep when the lights go out. I have a log for basking area and a cave for the cool area I make sure the basking is around 90-94 and the cool area around 75 and have a UVA basking bulb and a UVB 10.0 going for 12 hours from 6am-6pm. She has a water bowl that she swims in and will poop in daily so I change it after that happens. She is about 2 months and wonderful I simply adore her:D

Latest posts