• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Feeders for Jethro?

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey all! First off, Jethro's about a year old now! I am horrible 'cause I didn't realize his birthday was August 1st, or that's when we brought him home. So yea, happy belated birthday to my beloved Jethro! Well to the point of this message.

I have been giving him a variety of greens and occasional fruits. His main protein source has been crickets. However, the crickets are becoming too expensive and smelly, and just over all a nightmare to keep contained in their box. I'm trying to get my geckos on just mealworms for now unless I can find something else.

When I first purchased Jethro, they insisted I feed him meal worms. However, I knew from research that meal worms for young bearded dragons was a VERY bad idea. It's hard on their digestive system and could cause impactions. Now, he's been able to eat them before when I attempted to give them to him at first, but I stopped because I wanted to go with my gut on just giving him crickets for now. He has had Butterworms I think they're called as treats, and he LOVED those, but they're treats only. I want a good staple protein source for him and was wondering what the best choice would be?

What all do you feed yours? I just want to get rid of crickets if I can and I can't get roaches as I'm allergic to them. So anything other than crickets and roaches would be a miracle and a blessing!

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i switched from crickets to roaches but you cant do that.. I feed my beardies roaches and super worms. Super worms arent a good staple because of their high fat content.. If you are worried about price i buy my crickets in bulk every month for my baby water dragon. I buy 1000 for 12 bucks and that lasts me a month. I keep them in a 20 galon storage bin with egg flats layed on the bottom and i put packing tape around the perimiter of the bin on the inside about 3 inches from the rim. they cant walk on this so they cant climb out.. But the smell is terrible but i just put an air freshener next to te bin and it kinda helps... i know you said you dont want to use crickets anymore but im not sure what other staple foods are out there besides roaches. GOOD LUCK!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup, pretty much owning a BD, means putting up with crix, roaches or locusts.

@ LittleMerlin - Please check your conversations - Mod

Latest posts