• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Enclosure

Dee O Gee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone.. New to the forum, sort of new to the BD kingdom. I'd like some opinions on the setup I am for my beardie. I've done a bit of research, but I'd like to hear from the masses if I should change anything before I build the front. Not installed yet, but I have an exo terra light cycle controller with reptisun 2.0, and 10.0 tubes. I am also building a custom reflector that will house 2 75 watt small halogen bulbs For basking spot, and heat. First pic is my juvenile cage. Second is the new enclosure which works out to roughly a 75 Gal tank volume.

Opinions appreciated
20150921_204710.jpg
New Viv.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Coil bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs are very bad for bearded dragons. Compact fluorescents are okay to use for a hospital or temporary type of tank but for the long run you want to get a tube UVB bulb. ReptiSun 10.0 bulbs and Arcadia 12% are the most popular once people use. Make sure your UVB and your heat bulb overlaps and that the halogen flood bulb gets your basking spot to the proper temps.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ditto ^^^ the coil bulbs focus the majority of light straight down and it has been known to damage their eyes, the company says things have been fixed but I don't/can't trust those type bulbs..

Dee O Gee

Bearded Dragon Egg
20160826_233821.jpg
20160826_233833.jpg
Definitely staying away from the coils. My uva/uvb setup is 36" 2.0 and 10.0 Reptisun bulbs on a light cycle controller. had to come up with a new heat solution, as the bases I bought for the halogens were the wrong ones. Ended up building this setup. 4 40 watt incandescent bulbs in a custom reflector. Heat seems to be good, With the front plexiglass in place the basking spot direct rock temp is 110-115 in the middle, and 95-100 on the outer portions of the platform. temps on the wood platform are around 80, and the outer portions of the enclosure hover in the 70's.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So these four bulbs are your heat?

I would do away with the 2.0 Reptisun bulbs, you should only use bulbs like that for a short period of time. I think the 36" 10.0 Reptisun is going to give you plenty of coverage in a tank like that.

Dee O Gee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes.. This fixture is for heat/basking. with the 4 bulbs, its a total of 160 watts. Basking spot direct rock temp is 110-115 in the middle, and 95-100 on the outer portions of the platform. temps on the wood platform are around 80, and the outer portions of the enclosure hover in the mid 70's. have a metal mesh screen that I am going to surround the the above fixture with for safety. I don't think there is any chance of contact, but why chance it. What is the concern of using the 2.0 bulb? The controller I have controls 2 30 watt tubes. One of the tubes will be the 10.0 bulb. What would you recommend for the second tube?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The only 2.0 bulbs I know of are compact fluorescent, not a long tube but a light bulb type of bulb. Those bulbs only really concentrate your UVB only in the area that they are over. So they are good for like a hospital or sick tank but for a long term living arrangement not the best option. I think you will have plenty of UVB coverage with your 10.0 tube bulb.

The basking area temp is way too high. For babies you should have it 105-110 with 107 being the sweet spot. 110-115 is too much.

Dee O Gee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Final product with Little D in it. Knocked the heating fixture down to two bulbs at 25 watts each. Keeps his basking area at 95 degrees. 2 linear bulbs, one is a 5.0 (switched from a 10 because of distance to basking area, and the other is a 2.0. All lights on a 14 hour cycle for summer, and a 12 hour cycle for winter. Three 3" vent holes with an 80mm cpu fan in a draw out configuration. He took his first meal within 10 mins of intro so I'm guessing he's not too stressed.
20160905_111236.jpg
20160905_111307.jpg
20160905_111326.jpg
20160905_111904.jpg
20160905_111915.jpg

Dee O Gee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. He's been in there for a few months now and he is doing really well. No glass surfing, he's active, and he's shed twice.