• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon!

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
yeah that is basically the reason I hate them.

I could do that without a problem. I could keep the A/C at 70 just to keep it safe. No problems. Thank you guys again. Ill post pictures as soon as I get him home tommorow at about 5:30PM. I cant wait, I wanted a tortoise but after seeing this guy on craigslist and everything he/she comes with, I couldnt pass it up. I hope hes a big guy. Also will he be okay to run around my room?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If he's 2 years old he should be full grown and no less then 18inches.

It is 2am here for me.

Anytime he is outside his cage he must be watched by someone, we spend much effort in getting their homes the right temps and settings which does not do much good if they are not in them.

For the first 2 weeks of owning him, handle him as little as possible as this move will stress him out and playing with him will make it worse.

After the two weeks I don't recomend anymore then one hour per week outside of his cage. While dragons are easy to handle they still don't like it and would prefer to be left alone.

Deac77

Bearded Dragon Egg
That temp isn't that extreme these guys originate from the Australian desert basking spots there get hotter than that think about it why would you keep a ackie monitor with a basking temp of 140 when they are from the same region in the wild they would have different basking temps ranging from 100-140 easy his ambient temp isn't that just his basking spots and I've kept beardies this way for years bred them at the temps and just cycle them it's to each his own but how would it be dangerous? He's never been burnt and nor have any of my others in what way is it harmful to mimic their natural habitat

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
A 2 yr old BD doesn't need crickets or live food every day. Every 2-3 days is fine for feeders, just make sure it always has a supply of calcium dusted greens available to munch on. A list of what is good and what isn't is here:

Bearded Dragon Diet Nutritional Information

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
Read that a little while ago Germ, its very good. I will see how meal worms work out. If he is pooping while I feed him, I see no issues

Deac77

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agreed that it hasn't been proven I said I personally didn't want to take the risk maybe I should right my thesis on this haha I've never had a impacted animal I do agree most can be contributed to poor husbandry any I've encountered from some one else that probably was the case I simply stated my opinion an that their is a risk (according to documentation all over the net not a viable source but a lot of people get a PhD from google) simply offered a opinion I don't feed them other than treats

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF1.jpg

Read that a little while ago Germ, its very good. I will see how meal worms work out. If he is pooping while I feed him, I see no issues
Sorry Nick, I removed my post after I saw that it had already been mentioned, teach me for replying without reading the whole thread ;)

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That temp isn't that extreme these guys originate from the Australian desert basking spots there get hotter than that think about it why would you keep a ackie monitor with a basking temp of 140 when they are from the same region in the wild they would have different basking temps ranging from 100-140 easy his ambient temp isn't that just his basking spots and I've kept beardies this way for years bred them at the temps and just cycle them it's to each his own but how would it be dangerous? He's never been burnt and nor have any of my others in what way is it harmful to mimic their natural habitat
well if we are mimicing their natural habitat why not put a snake or two in the tank with him, and parisites both of these are in the wild naturally around BD's. also while temps might get that high in the wild you will never see a BD basking in 135F heat

such high temps can cause dehydration, burns, possably heat stroke and depending on your tank size weather or not he can get into a cool spot where the temps are around 80F or so is critical.

think of it like this, as humans most of us keep our houses around 65-75F, beardies like between 95-105F(adults). so now go to your A/C and turn it up by 30 degrees to 105F in your house, you wont be to happy and nether would a BD.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard! Looks like you're ALREADY getting some solid advice on your new addition to the family. Be sure to update us with some "coming home" pics! We'd love to see your new dragon!

Deac77

Bearded Dragon Egg
Trust me my cage is big enough the ambient is still 85 and it's one spot to each his own but people find beardies here where I live that ppl let go and they are basking on cement the average temp here is 115 and they are fine

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
Hi guys, so we had to change the date and Im actually picking the beardie up tommorow about noon! I will post pictures up about 15-30 minutes later. I already got some greens for him! Maybe take him outside tommorow, do they run fast?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't suggest you be taking him outside tomorrow & yes they are very fast for their size. When you first acquire your BD, there is an acclimation period, where handling should be minimal, to let it get used to it's new home, surroundings & you, for the first week to 10 days.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I don't suggest you be taking him outside tomorrow & yes they are very fast for their size. When you first acquire your BD, there is an acclimation period, where handling should be minimal, to let it get used to it's new home, surroundings & you, for the first week to 10 days.
Very much agree with Germ on this one. Keep it in its cage and only remove it for maintenance purposes for the first week to 10 days.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm very good point. Lets hope hes friendly and active!
Good luck on the 'Active'. Adult BDs are pretty laid back when in their enclosures & all the temps are right. Downright lazy by our standards, there are times when it is an 'Event' if they turn their head, other than when feeding. ;)

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
Haha well the guy said its very active so Ill see when I pick him up =]

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
Oh my my. Im going to have some work to do for this poor beardie. His whole life hes never had a live cricket or anything. Hes never had vegetables or fruit. Hes only been fed Nature Zone bites.. I hope I can get him healthy with his new food - Ill put him on some whole food diet.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
oh my goodness, no live food or greens or veggies his WHOLE life?!?!?!?! that is terrible!!! :( poor beardie!!!!! nick, thank u 4 rescuing this beardie!!! some ppl have their own opinions towards crix. i, myself do not like crix either...i have had gr8 success w/hornworms, silkworms(altho they are very fragile), superworms & phoenix worms. hornworms are my favorite b/c they are so big in size & easy 2 keep! just be sure 2 dust either the feeder insects or salad w/calcium powder. i dust my beardie's salad every other day w/calcium powder & once a week w/multi-vitamin powder. keep the basking side temps around 100-110 degrees & the cool side around 80-85 degrees, so ur beardie can thermo-regulate itself. my beardie is a lil over 1 yr old & i feed him a salad every day & worms every other day. reptile carpet or tile in my opinion are 2 of the best substrates out there!!!! since ur beardie has never had salad before, i'm not sure if he will even care 2 try it. some beardie's are very pickey eaters & hopefully since ur beardie will really need it, he'll try it & like it. these are the greens, veggies & fruits i feed my beardie: collard greens, dandelion greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale(not 2 often), escarole, green beans, peas, cactus pad, just bout ne type of squash(mine really likes acorn squash), mango, blueberries(occasionally), lima beans(sometimes). bathe ur beardie once every 1-2 weeks & clean up the smelly poo after ur beardie poos. i clean my beardie's enclosure once a month, but spot clean the poo daily! 2 much fruit isn't good 4 ur beardie & can lead 2 extra smelly & runny poo, so only occasionally feed fruits 4 variation. plz keep us updated, post pics once u get the beardie & ask as many ?'s as needed 2 aid in ur dragons health & happiness!!! we're all here 2 help!!!:)

Nick

Hatchling Dragon
I just picked him up and set up everything. Unfortunately I forgot to pick up substrate so Im going to run out in a little bit to get some. I have a UVB and I think a heat lamp but it kind of looks like a flourescent. It looks almost like a regular bulb but not as big. I put a little peach in the tank for him and he licked it but didnt eat. Hes just staring around not moving so I think he just needs time. Also the beardie looks almost flat but hes very wide. Not sure if thats from malnutrition? Pics coming in a second!

Latest posts