• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon Setup

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone I recently acquired a bearded dragon that is supposedly 1.5 to 2 years old. I am new to bearded dragons and would like some feed back on her/his setup. I have ordered a new T5 fixture with an Arcadia 6% and a 65K day light lamp. I used my Solameter to check the UVB with the compact fluorescent that came with her/his setup and it was WAY weak!!! The setup is how she/him came so nothing will hurt my feelings on how it is now lol. I just want to make it right! I’m concerned with the substrate but maybe it’s OK?!? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
21E9E66B-D9B0-4CA0-AEDE-2104224CA448.jpeg
CA2E71B1-9505-40D8-8A9E-28D9649B8EC1.jpeg
E69AF503-6719-4D55-A8B4-BCAF9BA2FD49.jpeg
E69AF503-6719-4D55-A8B4-BCAF9BA2FD49.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone I recently acquired a bearded dragon that is supposedly 1.5 to 2 years old. I am new to bearded dragons and would like some feed back on her/his setup. I have ordered a new T5 fixture with an Arcadia 6% and a 65K day light lamp. I used my Solameter to check the UVB with the compact fluorescent that came with her/his setup and it was WAY weak!!! The setup is how she/him came so nothing will hurt my feelings on how it is now lol. I just want to make it right! I’m concerned with the substrate but maybe it’s OK?!? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. View attachment 25008View attachment 25009View attachment 25010View attachment 25010
Ok let's start w/ substrate-- I would get rid of what's in there and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- cut to size of tank--- it's good you have a T 5 coming w/ the Arcadia but I would exchange it for the 12% bulb the 12% is the actual T 5 the 6% is the T 8-- the difference is placement and distance for the bulbs--- basking temps should be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- stick ons are for ambient temps--- your basking light needs to be directly over the basking decor-- put the probe on the piece wait 10 minutes and then get the temp

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good to know about the substrate. I will definitely change that ASAP. Do you have any suggestions for the shelf liner? As far as the UVB lamp I believe my 6% is a T5 see attached pic. Do you think that my fluke IR temp meter would work to check my basking temps? There is a stick on temp gauge on the enclosure but honestly it doesn’t seem to work lol.
6E2AB124-C997-4440-A368-93B197E8789A.png

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You should get a couple of digital thermometers with probes. These will be most accurate. One placed in the cool area where the beardie would chill and one placed on the basking spot directly where he can sit / bask under the bulb. IR guns can be inaccurate when used on some surfaces. :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good to know about the substrate. I will definitely change that ASAP. Do you have any suggestions for the shelf liner? As far as the UVB lamp I believe my 6% is a T5 see attached pic. Do you think that my fluke IR temp meter would work to check my basking temps? There is a stick on temp gauge on the enclosure but honestly it doesn’t seem to work lol. View attachment 25021
Ok so you have 2 6% bulbs? That would make it a 12% --- you could of gone w/ a single fixture w/ 1 12% bulb -- yes a IR gun will work but you also want digital probes as well --- some IR guns are thrown off by certain materials especially hammocks they do not work on them --- you can find the shelf liner at your local home improvement stores look for a textured type NON adhesive or slated ceramic tile works well too -- that would need to be cut by a tile cutter so you do not get jagged edges -- both are easy to keep clean -- if you have more questions please ask -- your stick ons are for ambient temps

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good deal I will check out some shelf liner and tile and see what I like best. No ma’am if you look at the pic it’s 1 6% lamp and 1 6.5k daylight lamp it’s not 2 6% lamps. Thank everyone for the info. I’ll also pick up a couple of digital thermometers for the basking and shade side of the cage.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good deal I will check out some shelf liner and tile and see what I like best. No ma’am if you look at the pic it’s 1 6% lamp and 1 6.5k daylight lamp it’s not 2 6% lamps. Thank everyone for the info. I’ll also pick up a couple of digital thermometers for the basking and shade side of the cage.
What is the difference w/the daylight lamp -- is that a basking lamp?

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
No ma’am it’s just a lamp for lighting that’s all. The lower the ”K” number the more yellow the output is, the higher the “K” number the more whiter/bluish the output is. It’s just a safe lamp to use to brighten up your enclosure without adding heat, UVB, UVC, or UVA.

Latest posts