• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon, Recommendations?

Bluefeathurs

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to this forum and dragon keeping, just got mine almost a week ago. He's really friendly and learning to eat his salads. The lady I got him from only fed him freeze dried crickets and mealworms. He is learning to eat his greens and squash and whatnot. He's going into shed and isn't eating as much. Is it fine to offer less in his bowl if I know he probably won't eat it? I normally get home shortly after noon so when he comes out of shed and eats all of his food I can get him more. And since I'm still learning him, what are some things dragons like? Food, activities, how/where to pet then? Hank is about 6 months old and 18 inches nose to tail.

Bluefeathurs

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you post a picture of his tank setup?
His setup now is not what I plan for him to be in much longer, I will be building a 4x2x2 foot enclosure once the weather dries up enough to work on it. It's about a 20 gallon aquarium with a fake piece of wood and half a coconut .He has a bowl of salad and has his light. UVB is in the mail. And he is getting a warm bath every day for now.

Attachments

• 15506886993781314241498284832077.jpg
    15506886993781314241498284832077.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
Wow, are you sure he’s only 6 months?? That’s a big boy!

My dragon loves kale, crickets, and baby food (sweet potatoes). I would recommend feeding insects while they are still alive. He likes his beard to be stroked and seems to like when I rub the top of his head.

A lot of dragons also enjoy hammocks so I would invest in one when you build your new tank! Letting your dragon out of your tank to explore is always fun for them, too.

Bluefeathurs

Bearded Dragon Egg
The lady said she guessed him at 6 months but I guess he could be a little more lol. Hank also loves his crickets but since he is shedding he isn't eating much of anything. I have been running my fingers down his back and gently on his head but he seems to much prefer to sit on my shoulder. He loves being held lol. The baby food is something that I haven't heard of yet, any brand? And any other flavors other than sweet potato? I have some kind of greens (the main bag is in the freezer and I can't think of the name of it rn but it's definitely one of the ones they can have) and I add chopped squash cubes, and baby cucumbers or carrots both sliced thin.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
as to baby food be sure it is organic and preferably the 1st foods selection as there are no added sugars and it's only one ingredient in them. squash, applesauce,green beans,sweet potatoes. we also tried a pear/mango combo with kale. any brand is ok really just read the ingredients list to be sure there is no added things like sugar or salt

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
The lady said she guessed him at 6 months but I guess he could be a little more lol. Hank also loves his crickets but since he is shedding he isn't eating much of anything. I have been running my fingers down his back and gently on his head but he seems to much prefer to sit on my shoulder. He loves being held lol. The baby food is something that I haven't heard of yet, any brand? And any other flavors other than sweet potato? I have some kind of greens (the main bag is in the freezer and I can't think of the name of it rn but it's definitely one of the ones they can have) and I add chopped squash cubes, and baby cucumbers or carrots both sliced thin.
Try pumpkin or squash if you don’t think he’ll like sweet potato. Make sure the ingredients don’t have anything extra other than water or vitamins. I personally buy Gerber, but any brand is fine.

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
They love roaches (dubia or discoids) superworms, hornworms etc. I give mine salad every day of collard, turnip and mustard greens with bee pollen sprinkled on top. Once a week a rasberry or blueberry as a treat. At his size and age he should be eating mostly greens with around 20% live protein.

Bluefeathurs

Bearded Dragon Egg
So Hank hasn't fully shed, just right around his lips. I can see where he shed there but he doesn't look like he will shed any more. He is now shedding around his lips again, is that normal? He has started eating better so I'm not worried about that.

Bluefeathurs

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hank has changed so much since I got him! He is starting to eat salads more regularly and fewer insects, he's more active, and he's gained weight! He loves red bell peppers and carrots; he isn't eating the collard greens nearly as much as I would like but hey, he's eating. I have found his last diet was strictly freeze dried insects from Walmart, so he has definitely upgraded his diet! His new enclosure is almost done, just waiting for the lock. It'll probably be about a week to have that and put it together. I plan on putting wood and branches in it, are there any types I should avoid? He will have at least one hide, hopefully two and several places to climb. He is going to have tan Astro Terf as a substrate and keep his current food bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_20190310_173313649_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190310_173313649_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts