• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon owner

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
Hello,
i got my first dragon yesterday. (S)he is great. although i am wondering, (S)he isnt eating much, i got up a little bit ago and tossed in a couple crickets and (S)he is just being lethargic about it. also how small should the greens be cut or tore up. and is it normal for a dragon to lay in the corner of the tank at night (and i mean the corner, as in (s)he is on its hind legs and body going up the corner of the tank)
thank you all for any advice

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1.jpg

When BDs are re-homed they require a week to 10 day acclimation period, during which time, handling should be kept minimal other than for husbandry & enclosure maintenance, to enable as stress free a transition as possible. During this time it is quite common for them to have a diminished appetite until they are more comfortable in their new home. As far as food size goes, a good rule of thumb that is recommended is, 'Nothing bigger than the space between their eyes'.

Yes, the sleeping position you are describing is quite common & normal behavior. Prior to feeding in the morning, particularly prey, you should give the BD a chance to warm up under the lights for a couple of hours.

Here are some links that you might find quite helpful ...
Basic BD Care Guide - A Place To Start
Nutrition List
Cohabitation

Could you please start another thread in the section 'Bearded Dragon Habitats' and post Pictures of your BD & present setup. Give some of your husbandry specs, such as the Basking Temperature, Cool Side Temperature, Substrate, Type of Lighting, UVB, Size of Enclosure, etc. in order to give the members an idea & be more familiar of your setup to give any helpful advice. Thanks.

Congrats on your new pet, I am sure you will have many wonderful years of enjoyment, together.

Good Luck & Welcome to BDF!

NerJaro

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you for the quick response. i will try to get pics of everything up later. i am going to be taking (S)he to the vet today (one of only 3 offices that deals with exotics in the area, and i know the Dr. of the one im going to)

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
welcome to the forums, glad you joined. hope you have fun here and look forward to seeing your tank

Wellovelizards

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome to the forum...lots and lots of great people with awesome experience here..listen well and u and your beardie will do great

Reactions: Jp

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BDF! Greens should pretty much be bite sized, but I'm a little late to the game so you may have already gotten your answers from the links provided.

Latest posts