• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon owner and have some question!

Bread_beardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hallo guys I just became a dragon owner recently but I need some advise on their diets. I just got a male he is about 8.5" long from nose to the end of his tail. The previous owner didn't tell me the detail of his age but from the size of him I am guess he is about 3.5 months ago? Anyway for their diet what kind of veggie I can use to feed him daily as a staple since baby dragon still need about 20% of veggies in their meal? Also how often do I need to dust the insects with calcium and d3 for a baby and when he gets to the adult stage?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hallo guys I just became a dragon owner recently but I need some advise on their diets. I just got a male he is about 8.5" long from nose to the end of his tail. The previous owner didn't tell me the detail of his age but from the size of him I am guess he is about 3.5 months ago? Anyway for their diet what kind of veggie I can use to feed him daily as a staple since baby dragon still need about 20% of veggies in their meal? Also how often do I need to dust the insects with calcium and d3 for a baby and when he gets to the adult stage?

Welcome to the forum and to dragons! They are amazing critters..
Below my comments in my signature line you will find several links 1 is for new comers covering all areas of care and the other link takes you to beautifuldragons.com for their food lists it is a very extensive list that covers just about everything most of us use this list..
Collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens are all great staple greens. the veggies vary from dragon to dragon for example I have a 6 month old that loves the color orange so I do squashes and peppers...so you just gotta try different ones and its always best to do right from the start so that's great.. now that my youngest is older I now feed his greens first and once he eats some then I give him his bugs..
you want to dust 1 feeding a day with a good supplement many of us use Repashy calcium plus daily then on weekends we do a multivit.
Good luck and we love pictures of people's dragons and also their set up so we can help tweak things if needed..

Bread_beardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the advise and info guys it is very helpful and you guys are wondering! I just leave some collard geens on his dish but he seem not interest to it. He only accept red pepper which he will eat a lot and a little bit of bok choy but I think he can't have red pepper daily right? So what can I do to get him to eat any other greens?

For calcium I just bought Rep-Cal calcium with D3 and Zoomed for the multivitamins with D3. Dusting one of the feeding with the calcium with D3 a day and one feeding with the multivitamins once a week.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
You can put worms in the salad and see if that works. (phoenix or wax or anything that can be part of his diet that he likes) Ours did the same thing as far as completely ignoring her salad for a few weeks. Eventually we started seeing her munching on her greens sometimes. Sometimes chopping up yellow squash helps. Maybe apple and berries every couple weeks. Just keep offering the good stuff everyday, collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, squash...and mix the other things with it. I was given some good advice on here to mist the salad and it keeps it fresh longer.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You want to get a calcium without D3. Alternate between the two calcium’s and a few days a week do a multivitamin.

Bread_beardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I cant just only to use the calcium with d3 all the time?

For the veggie I just trained him to eat it by mixing up with the red peppers then put it all on a paper towel.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You need to do the multivit when not using the calcium with D3 for absorption reasons..

Bread_beardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to do the multivit when not using the calcium with D3 for absorption reasons..
The multivitamins I have is the Zoomed on reptivite which had the synthetic vitamin a in it so I am worry about is there a chance that my dragon will get vitamin a poison? I am just dusting the reptivte only once weeks.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Reptivite is a good multivitamin. Using it once a week isn't going to hurt.

Latest posts