• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon- diarrhea. Help

COmedic17

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok so I rescued a 3 year old Beardie 2 weeks ago. Female, was used for breeding.

She was very thin ( sunken in fat pads on back of head, loose, wrinkly, dehydrated skin, stress marks, etc). Even missing a toe from a too dry shed :(. She’s been eating like a champ, and now has present fat pads and has put on weight.

She didn’t poop up until today. The first week I attributed this to stress, but then became concerned. I dropped some olive oil on her snout, and fed her some baby food throughout the week. Today she had a massive bowel movement. We will call this the mother of all bowel movements. It was bigger then what my full grown main coon cat is capable of producing. Most of it was very solid, but it was def in a large puddle of very runny stool. One “chunk” of feces looked very abnormal so I pulled it apart with tweezers and it appeared to be compacted sand substrate. After her bowel movement, she is 100x more active and generally happier.

My concern is, should I take her to be seen by a herp vet since there was so much diarrhea? I know I gave her stuff to help her have a bowel movement, but the amount of diarrhea present seems.... excessive. And with the chunk that appeared to be impaction, should she be seen now that it’s passed? Should I wait to see if she has any more problems? Should I be concerned about parasites? I didn’t see any visual pinworms or anything - but a lot of reptile parasites are too small to be seen. She is now VERY active and is seeking out attention instead of just tolerating it.

Anyways, I am not a new Beardie owner. I currently have a 2 y/o boy, and had a Beardie that passed away at the age of 11 last year.

Ceramic tile as substrate. Highest basking temp is 107 degrees with several levels to bask on ranging from 90-107 degrees. Cool side of the tank is 77 degrees. her warm hide is 84 degrees and her cooler hide is 75 degrees. Humidity is 30 (normal humidity for where I live). She gets a warm bath every other day. I use a reptisun hood for UVB.

Diet is primarily (75/25) greens ( mustard greens, turnip greens, squash, carrots) and for protein I alternate superworms, crickets, and Dubia roaches. She gets multivitamin and calcium supplements as well.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
your doing everything right be sure to keep her hydrated and definitely get a fecal smear done to check for parasites but as long as she is still eating and active she should be fine. now if it happens again take to a reptile vet immediately. and of course if you have any doubts at all take in to the vet.
that poor baby ,sand is bad simply put. its awesome you gave her tile and a good home to it sounds like. bless you both.

keep us updated on how she is doing.

COmedic17

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think I’m going to hold off on the vet but I will bring her if there’s any more problems. She had a very normal bowel movement today and is the most active I have ever seen her. I'm thinking she must of been impacted and everything just “backed up”. I also noted a few spots where shed was built up, soaked her, and gently massaged the areas with a soft bristle tooth brush. Tons of old shed came off in chunks :( poor girl. She had some people anxiety the first week, but now gets excited to be picked up. When I went to get her, she was in what looked like a 20 gallon tank ( she was longer then the tank was wide), and she’s now having lots of fun exploring her 75 gallon with her hides, shallow water/soaking dish, and lots of wood and rocks to climb on. My other bearded dragon has a ping pong ball he loves to push around, so I gave her one too and she loves it! ( highly recommend giving Beardie a these. Mine love them. Just make sure it’s the larger, thicker, stronger ping pong balls so they can’t put them in their mouth). They both get lots of exercise chasing their balls around. My boy Beardie even pushes his in his hide with him at night and gets upset when I take it away for cleaning.

When my 8 year old comes home from school she runs to the glass and stands up on her back legs looking at her until she picks her up and sets her on her shoulder while she does homework .

It’s too bad she was so neglected before. She’s such a sweet girl.

Latest posts