• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Custom Enclosure is Coming Along

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
I saw a YouTube video that inspired me to build my own Beardie enclosure. I’ve still got a bit to do with it, but I have made good progress. I’ll be clear coating the inside to waterproof it for easy cleanup. I’m installing 2 sliding glass doors on the front. Then I’ll just need to install the lighting and accessories and it’ll be ready for Toothless.
I’ve said in previous posts that I’d be building a bigger enclosure for my little guy. Thought I’d give an update!

also, Toothless says hi.

the dimensions are:
4 feet x 20 inches x 20 inches (outside)
46.5 inches x 20 inches x 18.5 inches (inside)

the doors will take up some of that space, but I think this will be plenty big enough

Attachments

• 480A1FC6-BE70-46EE-B467-53EB121CA0B4.jpeg
    480A1FC6-BE70-46EE-B467-53EB121CA0B4.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 2ACEE024-496A-4DC6-ADAD-CCF5305740BB.jpeg
    2ACEE024-496A-4DC6-ADAD-CCF5305740BB.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
L
I saw a YouTube video that inspired me to build my own Beardie enclosure. I’ve still got a bit to do with it, but I have made good progress. I’ll be clear coating the inside to waterproof it for easy cleanup. I’m installing 2 sliding glass doors on the front. Then I’ll just need to install the lighting and accessories and it’ll be ready for Toothless.
I’ve said in previous posts that I’d be building a bigger enclosure for my little guy. Thought I’d give an update!

also, Toothless says hi.

the dimensions are:
4 feet x 20 inches x 20 inches (outside)
46.5 inches x 20 inches x 18.5 inches (inside)

the doors will take up some of that space, but I think this will be plenty big enough
looks great it’s about the size of a 75 gallons witch is fine. I going to do 120 gallons but 75 works great!

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
L

looks great it’s about the size of a 75 gallons witch is fine. I going to do 120 gallons but 75 works great!
Yeah, I read that 75 gallons is the minimum recommended. Unfortunately I’ve only got one spot in my micro apartment where I can put an enclosure, and I’m building it custom to that space. It looks pretty big though, so I think it will be ok.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Nice handy work with ur cuts and it looks like you predrilled your holes aswell, you can get some “putty” from your local hardware store and fill in any gaps before you paint, what color are you going with for the outside? And please give the tank atleast a week to cure, ive read of people plopping their bearded dragon in their tank after its dry in 3 hrs, which fumes can still be emitted even a week later, I made n painted a stand for my tokay geckos enclosure and it still stinks two weeks later :(

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
Nice handy work with ur cuts and it looks like you predrilled your holes aswell, you can get some “putty” from your local hardware store and fill in any gaps before you paint, what color are you going with for the outside? And please give the tank atleast a week to cure, ive read of people plopping their bearded dragon in their tank after its dry in 3 hrs, which fumes can still be emitted even a week later, I made n painted a stand for my tokay geckos enclosure and it still stinks two weeks later :(
I actually prefer the look of the wood. So if I do anything to the outside, I’ll just clear coat it. Only reason I did anything on the inside was to seal it.

I am eager to get him in there, but I’m going to wait. Don’t want to make him sick in my haste.

thanks for the compliments. I’m not getting any awards, but I’m satisfied. There are quite a few things I didn’t do quite right, but overall am pleased with it.

just put the doors on and clear coated this afternoon.

Attachments

• 4CAF47B5-7378-4C63-8109-84AC593EA72E.jpeg
    4CAF47B5-7378-4C63-8109-84AC593EA72E.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 17

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I like the wood look too, if i had better tools i definitely would of made my own enclosure, what kind of decor are you thinking of ?

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
I like the wood look too, if i had better tools i definitely would of made my own enclosure, what kind of decor are you thinking of ?
I built the majority of it with a skill saw and a power drill. Those are about the only tools I’ve got. I did have to buy some bits, and I ripped the boards for the front frame at my workplace.

I’m not too sure yet what I want in there. I’ve been looking around for some rock hides, and I don’t really like what I’m seeing. I’m considering buying a bunch of rocks that I like the look of and just making something. I like the idea of having an outcropping coming directly off the wall, so I may try something like that. I’ll also get some sticks or driftwood to put in there. And I’ll put his hammock in there. He spends a lot of time on his hammock!

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I built the majority of it with a skill saw and a power drill. Those are about the only tools I’ve got. I did have to buy some bits, and I ripped the boards for the front frame at my workplace.

I’m not too sure yet what I want in there. I’ve been looking around for some rock hides, and I don’t really like what I’m seeing. I’m considering buying a bunch of rocks that I like the look of and just making something. I like the idea of having an outcropping coming directly off the wall, so I may try something like that. I’ll also get some sticks or driftwood to put in there. And I’ll put his hammock in there. He spends a lot of time on his hammock!
One thing that cool is a bioatctice substrate or loose substrat but if you do that make sure you know what your doing you don’t want you dragon getting impacted

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
One thing that cool is a bioatctice substrate or loose substrat but if you do that make sure you know what your doing you don’t want you dragon getting impacted
I’m going to avoid loose substrate. I’ll probably put down one of those plastic grip things for a bathtub for easy cleaning. Also it will be clear, so I’ll still be able to see the wood underneath. If Toothless seems to have any issues with that I’ll explore more options for the bottom. I may even just put a couple extra layers of clear coat and then just leave it exposed.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
I actually prefer the look of the wood. So if I do anything to the outside, I’ll just clear coat it. Only reason I did anything on the inside was to seal it.

I am eager to get him in there, but I’m going to wait. Don’t want to make him sick in my haste.

thanks for the compliments. I’m not getting any awards, but I’m satisfied. There are quite a few things I didn’t do quite right, but overall am pleased with it.

just put the doors on and clear coated this afternoon.
Super job. Looks really nice

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
The build is finished. I put another layer of clear coat inside, and I clear coated the outside. My buddy gave me this cool desk to put the enclosure on. I’ve got to let it air out for a few days, then I’ll get the lighting and accessories set up and move Toothless in. I’m glad to be finished with it.

I may still cut the top to install the lights on the outside, once I’m able to afford the new bigger UVB light. Until then I think I’ll just mount the lights inside.

Attachments

• C85130A4-3D2F-49FB-9003-F37F0C5A0685.jpeg
    C85130A4-3D2F-49FB-9003-F37F0C5A0685.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The build is finished. I put another layer of clear coat inside, and I clear coated the outside. My buddy gave me this cool desk to put the enclosure on. I’ve got to let it air out for a few days, then I’ll get the lighting and accessories set up and move Toothless in. I’m glad to be finished with it.

I may still cut the top to install the lights on the outside, once I’m able to afford the new bigger UVB light. Until then I think I’ll just mount the lights inside.
Wow it looks awsome. I kind of want to build somthing to now

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
Wow it looks awsome. I kind of want to build somthing to now
Go for it. This was about $120ish in materials, but wood is kind of expensive right now, and I didn’t get the cheapest. It really wasn’t that complicated to build. I bought boards that were already the right dimensions, so I didn’t have to make many cuts. I was also able to buy plexiglass that was already the right size. The most complicated thing will be cutting out the holes for the lights if I decide to do that later.

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
Here is my final project update. Toothless is moved in. I bought a 36” Reptisun T5 light fixture and bulb. I will need to make the hole in the top of the enclosure large enough to fit the new light, but that won’t change the overall look of the enclosure. I may also change up the ventilation. I like the look of the drain covers, but I don’t think they are allowing much air flow. I think the humidity and heat are getting trapped inside. So, I’ll either add more vents, or replace the drain covers with a simple mesh vent. Any suggestions there are welcome.

I do have a digital thermo-hygrometer to put in the tank, but I don’t have a battery for it yet. As of right now, I just have the analog one from the pet store, and I also use an infrared thermometer to check temps. His basking spot is getting too hot, so I have a thermostat on the way (should be here tomorrow)

Attachments

• 080A0C4A-22E7-435E-8FD5-A05D6658CC1A.jpeg
    080A0C4A-22E7-435E-8FD5-A05D6658CC1A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 6C3F4DBE-9525-4BCD-90AC-D257BE30A4DD.jpeg
    6C3F4DBE-9525-4BCD-90AC-D257BE30A4DD.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would think u have enough ventilation? 6 3inchers? That already seems excessive imo,enclosures ive seen usually only have 4 and only on the sides not the back,...id wait till u cut the whole for the light before adding more that may give u what u need, I didn’t realize ur lil guy was so teeny hes very cute, very nice house for him , does he have a blanky in his hide?

CarbonFiberSwan

Hatchling Dragon
I would think u have enough ventilation? 6 3inchers? That already seems excessive imo,enclosures ive seen usually only have 4 and only on the sides not the back,...id wait till u cut the whole for the light before adding more that may give u what u need, I didn’t realize ur lil guy was so teeny hes very cute, very nice house for him , does he have a blanky in his hide?
Ok, I will wait until I cut the new hole. I’ve also got a thermostat coming (should be here today). I’ll put the probe on his basking spot and set it to 105.

yeah, he is pretty small. Thanks for the compliment. It was fun to design and build. He does have a blanket in the big hide. I’ll try and get a picture of him with it.

Latest posts