• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie worry! First night!

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
I just got my little Puff this morning in the mail. Im constantly worried about what shes doing, I just want her to be ok. The background thay came with my exoterra tank is Styrofoam. My breeder said it should be fine but puff scaled it earlier and has just been hanging there. She looks fine but hasnt made a move to come down. Is this okay??

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Andrewj27

Bearded Dragon Egg
she is fine, just nervous in her new home and thinks she's hiding. My beardie did that for a few days then experimented with different spots to find the most comfortable.

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
Just minimize holding her for a week or so til she gets settled in. You may want to cover the sides of the tank with paper as well as the bottom 6" of the front glass

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
As said above, take it slow. Every time you walk past the Viv, stop and just say hi, do it every time. Don't try and handle for a week or so. And after just put you hand in the Viv with a couple of morios worms on or something. And keep it in there. Then over the next few days if everything is ok, stroke her. Then again, after time you will be trusted. You might bond a lot quicker, but please don't get disheartened if it's a while. It really can take time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
She hung there the whole night. She finally worked her way down this morning to eat a few crickets then found a comfy spot on her tree. Shes just so tiny and looks so fragile Im so afraid ill do something wrong.

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
By the way shes just starting a shed. Shes 6 1/2 inches. How long will it take? Is there anything extra I need go do for her?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
You can mist her with water; that usually makes the shed a bit easier for them. Just remember to limit your handling for the next week or two!

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
My baby BD took 11 days about to acclimate. And mine was shedding during delivery too. It is stressful enough to the baby BD's when getting shipped, just imagine adding shedding and acclimation to environment.... that is a lot for a baby to take in. But your BD will be fine, just listen to everyone. Don't be alarmed if he doesn't eat must during shedding. Shedding in my experience with my baby, can last 3-7 days. I mist mine from tip to tail for about 1-2 minutes with warm water (about 95 degrees). This doesn't bring his temps down and that is what my BD seems to enjoy. Every BD has a certain temp they like. It will be hard to determine this during acclimation too.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just be careful with the styrofoam background, crickets LOVE to hide behind it. Our tank came with one and we ended up having to take it out.

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Hi ya'll sorry ive been away from the forum for a bit. Everything is going good. Puff is growing like a weed and shes now 10". I actually just took the styeofoam backing out of her tank this weekend, found a nice collection of dubia roaches that had made a hideout back there.
My only thing is still handeling. I think im just way too over cautious. Every day I get her in my hands and shell settle down nicely but the second she leaves the barrier of the tank she gets on edge. I try to sit with her on my bed but shell lay for a few mins and then bolt. I guess I should just see where shes going, im sure shell pause and reassess before jumping off.
All in all things are great though. Got a dubia colony started and im going to start super worms soon.
Any more handeling tips are always appreciated!!

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
sezaru4u.jpg

I think its adorable when she stops the roaches with her hand

Latest posts