• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie waving ALOT

Kunoichi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi yall, new beardie owner here, got him on Nov 5th. I've been obsessively looking everything up since before I got Natsu, I think he's about 5ish months based of his size. I'm assuming he's a male due to his behavior and even the vet agrees. Anyway I have some concerns, he's started coming to the side of the tank(40 gal for now) and doing alot of waving. This past week its happened a few times daily, and so I start researching and I know its a good thing. I've made sure his Temps are OK, 101°f-104°for his basking area and 75°f to 80°f for the cool side. He's plenty active, eats well(he's still picking at salads but he's getting used to them), only issue I've noted was him having smelly poops.
I took him to the vet Monday and he's got quite a bit of coccidia, so he's got meds. I'm not sure if the trip to the vet sparked the excessive waving due to possible stress? I did also rearrange the pieces I'm his enclosure, maybe he didn't like that I moved it around? He's super skiddish and doesn't really let me hold him, totally understandable, but he will let me handfeed him. Idk what else might be wrong, but I wanna help correct any issue so he's happy. Any advice?

I've added pictures of the enclosure set up to help(he's also shedding at the moment so im going to clean his carpet later this evening). And a pic of Natsu cause he's a cutie

Attachments

• 20211204_163216.jpg
    20211204_163216.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211129_104635.jpg
    20211129_104635.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi yall, new beardie owner here, got him on Nov 5th. I've been obsessively looking everything up since before I got Natsu, I think he's about 5ish months based of his size. I'm assuming he's a male due to his behavior and even the vet agrees. Anyway I have some concerns, he's started coming to the side of the tank(40 gal for now) and doing alot of waving. This past week its happened a few times daily, and so I start researching and I know its a good thing. I've made sure his Temps are OK, 101°f-104°for his basking area and 75°f to 80°f for the cool side. He's plenty active, eats well(he's still picking at salads but he's getting used to them), only issue I've noted was him having smelly poops.
I took him to the vet Monday and he's got quite a bit of coccidia, so he's got meds. I'm not sure if the trip to the vet sparked the excessive waving due to possible stress? I did also rearrange the pieces I'm his enclosure, maybe he didn't like that I moved it around? He's super skiddish and doesn't really let me hold him, totally understandable, but he will let me handfeed him. Idk what else might be wrong, but I wanna help correct any issue so he's happy. Any advice?

I've added pictures of the enclosure set up to help(he's also shedding at the moment so im going to clean his carpet later this evening). And a pic of Natsu cause he's a cutie
Welcome Natsu --- the arm waving is a sign of the mating ritual -- normal for a older beardies but I guess the younger ones do it too :)

Please get a digital probe thermometer for actual basking temps - stick ons are only ambient temps you want surface temps -105-110- the probe needs to be placed on the hammock where he would sit for basking -- please get a long tube fixture for a UVB for the 40 gallon tank he needs a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health problems----- the basking temps and UVB are the MOST important things in the tank --- he will quit eating w / out the proper UVB and proper basking temps -- if you need me to post links for the UVB please ask --- also make sure your basking bulb is a CLEAR bright white bulb NO off white or yellowish bulb --- I can post examples and links for different UVB's if you like but please get this ASAP ---- you need those correct for him to keep eating and be healthy - those things I posted are crucial to his over all health and behavior

Kunoichi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome Natsu --- the arm waving is a sign of the mating ritual -- normal for a older beardies but I guess the younger ones do it too :)

Please get a digital probe thermometer for actual basking temps - stick ons are only ambient temps you want surface temps -105-110- the probe needs to be placed on the hammock where he would sit for basking -- please get a long tube fixture for a UVB for the 40 gallon tank he needs a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health problems----- the basking temps and UVB are the MOST important things in the tank --- he will quit eating w / out the proper UVB and proper basking temps -- if you need me to post links for the UVB please ask --- also make sure your basking bulb is a CLEAR bright white bulb NO off white or yellowish bulb --- I can post examples and links for different UVB's if you like but please get this ASAP ---- you need those correct for him to keep eating and be healthy - those things I posted are crucial to his over all health and behavior
Thank you! I do plan on getting those replaced after reading lots of the threads on here, im just strapped for cash atm from unexpected bills. But if you could share links that would be great! I did read that the waving was a sign of mating but I wasn't sure if i should consider since he's still young

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I do plan on getting those replaced after reading lots of the threads on here, im just strapped for cash atm from unexpected bills. But if you could share links that would be great! I did read that the waving was a sign of mating but I wasn't sure if i should consider since he's still young
Ok but you need to get this done ASAP or he will quit eating and start developing MBD
24" fixture Zoo Med comes w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the bulb you need --- a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
this is another good fixture they are out of stock now but I am posting it anyway you can check Petsmart supposedly they are now carrying this fixture
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
or this one comes w/ a bulb Sunblaster Nano Tech
you want the 24" fixture or 2ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=
you need a CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO day time bulbs No Infrared bulbs
example Exo Terra Intense basking bulb start w/ a 100 watt but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get those temps
2 of these for the cool side of the tank 80's during the day and one for the basking side a stick on is ok for AMBEINT temps ONLY https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...rometers/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer
this is ok for a basking bulb as well -- pet smart carries the Exo Terra bulbs
when you get this replaced the UVB please let me know I will help you get it placed in the tank -- they require certain distance and placement depending on the screen on the tank
your little guy waving is fine

Kunoichi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok but you need to get this done ASAP or he will quit eating and start developing MBD
24" fixture Zoo Med comes w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the bulb you need --- a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5
this is another good fixture they are out of stock now but I am posting it anyway you can check Petsmart supposedly they are now carrying this fixture
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
or this one comes w/ a bulb Sunblaster Nano Tech
you want the 24" fixture or 2ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=
you need a CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO day time bulbs No Infrared bulbs
example Exo Terra Intense basking bulb start w/ a 100 watt but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get those temps
2 of these for the cool side of the tank 80's during the day and one for the basking side a stick on is ok for AMBEINT temps ONLY https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...rometers/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer
this is ok for a basking bulb as well -- pet smart carries the Exo Terra bulbs
when you get this replaced the UVB please let me know I will help you get it placed in the tank -- they require certain distance and placement depending on the screen on the tank
your little guy waving is fine
Oh yeah I get paid this Friday so I'll definitely get them asap. Thank you for the links and advice

Latest posts