• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie. Unwell?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would first get fecals done to make sure your not dealing with parasites as they cam mimic brumation behavior, a sick dragon may become too weak to wake up if loaded with parasites. Also keep very good hygiene no same tools from dragon to dragon if 1 is sick you'll end up both sick..
No heat from below them as it will only burn them, they can't feel it. check your bulbs are they in need of replacement.
up your temps a few to see if it helps.
Maybe try some bee pollen on the salads it's a good appetite stimulant and good for them.. Vitamin stores typically have it. Also maybe some probiotics ? tummy might not feel well...
Vary up the diet may be bored.

Kealyx

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, thank you for your prompt reply.
I have changed the uv light and heat light and got brand new and she perked up almost instantly! Temperatures have risen and she looks so much happier in herself. She is now eating her veggies too, I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders, she is now so much more active and alive. I am going to take her to get looked at anyway as she has been massively neglected by previous owners and her skin is very had so hopefully I can get something or just some information to try and help it. Thanks x

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Glad to hear that. My rex always gets happier when I change his uvb. I never let it pass more than 7 months thou he is still in a hunger strike but I'm guessing it's because brumation. He ate a couple little dubias and a few mealworms but he's fine. Hope your girls keeps getting healthier

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kealyx

Bearded Dragon Egg
After contacting the previous owner we found the uvb she had in was nearly 3 years old! And she'd had the red night light all the time for the same amount of time. I'm absolutely disgusted that for someone who wants to keep them as pets, hasn't done their research! Just feeling positive now that I've managed to save her before she gave up, some tlc and she should be happier than ever before long

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
After contacting the previous owner we found the uvb she had in was nearly 3 years old! And she'd had the red night light all the time for the same amount of time. I'm absolutely disgusted that for someone who wants to keep them as pets, hasn't done their research! Just feeling positive now that I've managed to save her before she gave up, some tlc and she should be happier than ever before long
Oh wow that's a long time without proper uvb. I don't want to jinx it but she might have mbd due to lack of of proper uvb, unless she was exposed to natural sunlight for quiet a few hours a day. It might not be noticeable right now since she's a title chubby but once you take her to the vet he'll tell you. Sometimes it's reversible if caught early enough but you won't find out til then or if she gets skinnier. Beardies are strong guys and can pass some neglect from owners that's why they're good starter reptile pets but over 2 years w.o proper uvb can be problematic. Wishing you and your girl the best thou. Just make sure u follow the proper supplementation and offer a wide variety of greens and insects. Read up on MBD symptoms as she might show some.

Kealyx

Bearded Dragon Egg
I absolutely appreciate any suggestions and help I can get at the minute so don't worry about jinxing it! I know they did have a harness for her so they did take her out into the sunlight, however in England we don't get much haha! I am going to take her to the vet today just for my peace of mind and to hopefully rule out anything major and problematic. She's seemed better after eating more fruit and veggies, previous owners had a gecko too (which we now also have) so I think it was just easier for them to feed them both insects so she had no variety of diet, I.e veggies. Thank you also for your help

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Glad to help with the little knowledge I have lol check the forum as some members have posted vets in different countries and their experience with them. Not every vet has enough reptile experience to give u a good diagnostic. Let us know what the vet says

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How did this vet visit go? I'm glad that she is now in a loving home getting what she needs nutrition wise.

Latest posts