• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Owner

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike....is my bearded dragon. He (?) is still a baby and I am learning how to take care of him. I think he will make a wonderful pet and easy to take care of. I take him out of his tank about 3 times a day to help him acclimate to people. The internet has a wealth of information and I think this forum will really help me know what to do with him.....Pat B

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Pat,

2.jpg

I'm sure you will have many memorable moments with Spike.

If you have just acquired your BD, although this is always hard for a new keeper, it is suggested that you handle it as little as possible for the first week to 10 days, other than for husbandry & enclosure maintenance, in order to allow a stress free transition/acclimation to it's new environment, prior to acclimating to people. This will help to give it some time to associate you as it's food source that it can trust & become familiar with. The Internet does have a wealth of info, but you have to learn to pick out what is good info & what isn't.

Although, BDs are well known for their ability to 'Tolerate' handling well, these are not Cat's or Dogs, and should not be treated as such. Most would be just as happy to be left alone. Extended time outside of the enclosure, robs them of the required heat & basking time required to digest their food & needed exposure to the UVB source that must be provided in order for their body to manufacture Vit D3, which in turn allows their system to properly process their much needed Calcium intake.

There are many experienced keepers on this site that are quite willing to help you along.

Here are some links that you may find helpful to get you started on raising a Happy, Healthy young'un & with the Forum.
Exclusive Bearded Dragon Care Info Library
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Place To Start (Printable - 2 Text Pages)
Beautiful Dragons Nutrition List
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?
Picture & Video Posting Tutorial

Might I suggest, starting another thread & posting some pictures of your new BD & it's new home, size of enclosure, lighting, substrate, etc.

Once again, welcome to BDF.

Good Luck

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome! Hope you find all the answers you seek, and more. Good luck with your new beardie, and remember we can't help you if we don't know there's a problem so if you're curious, ask.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello & Welcome to the Bearded Dragon Forum :)

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
well hello there & wonderful 2 our wonderful bd lovers community!!!! :) if u have ne ?'s at all plz ask!!! we're all here 4 the love of our lil dinosaurs & 2 share our knowledge. as a word of caution, most new beardie owners are mis-informed that mealworms are a good staple diet. plz kno these are actually in fact, 1 of the worst feeder insects 2 feed ur dragon. they have a hard exo-skeleton that can be quite a bit harder 2 digest(possibly cause impaction)& they have a very high fat content. just some good info i normally see 1st time beardie parent's not realizing. ;) once again, welcome!!!! :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
as a word of caution, most new beardie owners are mis-informed that mealworms are a good staple diet. plz kno these are actually in fact, 1 of the worst feeder insects 2 feed ur dragon. they have a hard exo-skeleton that can be quite a bit harder 2 digest(possibly cause impaction)& they have a very high fat content. just some good info i normally see 1st time beardie parent's not realizing. ;) once again, welcome!!!! :D
Mealie Basher 'Challenge'

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
I, personally, have been feeding my reptiles mealworms for 15 years without incident. Not as a single source but as a supplement to an already balanced diet. In fact, I am a very strong advocate against dismissing them as a feeder for certain situations. They have proven to be one of those prey items that are a guaranteed meal, when needed. I credit one of my bearded dragon's survival to mealworms. LOL, well, that, and many days, nights, and hours of critical care. He is now eating more roaches but also continues to eat mealworms without any issues. His weight is healthy, and he is thriving.

Thank you Germ for posting this information and challenge!

Wellovelizards

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome. You have come to the right place. So many people that love their beardies. Listen well and you will have a healthy happy dragon

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
in my own personal opinion, i am against using mealworms as feeders. there may not be any 'actual scientific proof' of how bad they are, but from my own experience, i caution against using them. mealworms are what i started my dragon out on & that is the reason as 2 why the base of his tail is still HUUUUUGE!!!!! the rest of his body doesn't seem like it's going 2 get any bigger, but starting him off on mealworms as his 1st staple live food, was a mistake. mealworms have a terribly high fat content & i'd much rather not risk any chances w/the possible problem of impaction! plus, feeding 2 much fat at young ages sets them up 4 storing 2 much fat in their liver & can contribute 2 fatty liver disease early on. when beardie's are growing, it is best 2 use leaner sources of protein 2 allow the liver not 2 have 2 break down 2 much fat early on.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do you know & how did you verify, that the reason for the huge tail is caused by mealworms :confused: ??? In my experience a good sized tail base, has always been a sign of a 'Healthy' Dragon & is one of the things to look for when purchasing a BD.

Where do you get all this unsubstantiated information :confused: ??? To use words like 'terribly high'. If you properly gutload, the 'Fat'% is considerably lower. You are surely not acquiring it from the attached document that you submitted to me in conversation, as ...
& this has got 2 be the best site i have found yet:
That I thoroughly thank you for, because, had you actually read it, it fully supports my statements that the majority of the concerns pertaining to mealworms are MYTH. It also states that Mealworms have less Chitin/Exoskeleton than crix, as does the scientific study document in the thread, Mealie Basher 'Challenge'. And I will be adding that PDF file to that thread.

You have done a great job of discrediting your own comments/statements, by offering this info as your best yet, that you obviously have not even read.

Attachments

• P56-59 Meal Worms proof rev2-1.pdf
    559.5 KB · Views: 89

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
no, i read thru some of it, but not all. & my vet is who told me the cause as 2 why the base of his tail is so big. yes, i know it's a good thing (means they're healthy), but i've also read on some different sites if the base of their tail gets 2 big & they in general become 2 much over-weight, it can put 2 much strain on their spine & possibly cause paralization...just scared me 2 think bout it! since there is in fact no "actual scientific proof" pertaining 2 the 'mealworm statements' than i guess it's just a very thrown around opinion. regardless of nething, i still refuse 2 feed mealworms & always will. i do not feel taking the chance is worth is, when there are plenty other & better feeder insects out there. as i feel the same regarding sand, every1 has their own opinions bout it & i choose not 2 use it..just 2 be on the safe side 4 my beardie. & 2 be honest germ, u have helped me & many others out on this forum....but ur kinda bashing me bout this subject. yah okay, there's no scientific proof..maybe i hadn't read thru all of the info i sent u regarding mealworms, but i wuz only putting in my 2 cents (as many others on this forum) & u had said u hadnt gotten a reply from ne1 else bout the mealworms, well shoot...least i put forth some effort, reading thru it all er not. i'm sure u didn't mean 2 offend me, i don't know...but yuh just kind of came off a lil 2 strong, in my opinion...if that means nething!!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
most new beardie owners are mis-informed that mealworms are a good staple diet. plz kno these are actually in fact, 1 of the worst feeder insects 2 feed ur dragon. they have a hard exo-skeleton that can be quite a bit harder 2 digest(possibly cause impaction)& they have a very high fat content. just some good info i normally see 1st time beardie parent's not realizing.
I don't feel that it is proper to present personal preference &/or opinion, being falsely stated as fact based observation & offering info that has not even been read, that actually provides the polar opposite information that it was intended to. There is enough confusion out there, without adding to it.

For the most part, your info is decent & well meaning, but when I see info stated as fact, that is 'in fact' not, from anyone, this is not specific to you, I have a tendency to point that out & am not likely to change anytime soon, nor do I want to. Again, if you don't go through offered info, prior to submitting it, how do you know it is good or not :confused: & not possibly detrimental to the health of the animals? If it is 'Bashing' to point this activity out &\or offense is taken, so be it.

My primary purpose of being on forums is not mainly to make like minded friends or acquaintances, although it can be & is a nice side effect, but is to share, inform & learn proper care for the animals.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jessica, you also swear by Pheonix Worms & say that Mealworms are so terribly fatty. Please check out the charts below that show mealworms to have:

- 57%-70% of the fat of Superworms with 88%-117% of the protein

- 104%-135% the fat of Pheonix Worms with 114-117% of the protein.

I fail to see where so many get that they are so fatty & that they have little to no nutritional value, compared to other feeder worms :confused:.

Untitled.jpg
chart2.jpg
Worm Nutrition Content.jpg
Worm Nutrition Content 2.jpg

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
yup, i do swear by phoenix worms & i also do FEEL that mealworms aren't a very good feeder insect. okay, i wuz really gonna let this 1 go, but since this whole thing keeps getting dragged out...if u really wanna get technical notice how all the percentages are different on all the wonderful charts u've came up with? if all of that wuz actual scientific proof, u wud think they'd all be the same percentage er atleast a lot closer than they are! seriousely tho, did i join this forum 2 have 2 sit here & justify my opinions & statments?!?! ummm naw, not at all! i believe every1 is entitled 2 share information & help 1 another out as much as possible, whether it's an opinion or 'scientifically proven fact!' why all the sudden is all the focus on my statements?! bcuz i'm pretty sure regardless of this, regardless of that, EVERY1 is entitled 2 their own opinions! i'm pretty sure i'm just trying 2 be a nice person & put in my 2 cents 2 others who share the same passion as i do 4 beardie's. :) not sit here & get put in the spotlight & get grilled bout silly things. or shud we just ALL on this forum leave all the feedback 2 come from u germ?! okay....there is NO ACTUAL scientific proof pertaining 2 the "mealworm myth" BUT i myself still caution against them! there IS scientific proof that using sand can cause impaction & this & that, but yet ppl still use sand?! so even if there wuz scientific proof against mealworms, wud that change nething neways?! look if i have 2 sit here & be grilled bout something, when i had already shrugged it off & continue 2 "justify" my posts, than wut's the point of this forum? ur making this a big ol' mess & i think we all get ur point(s) germ, soooo thanks 4 making things clearer than clear 4 us all 2 see!!!! cuz i wuz ready 2 drop this whole thing yesterday when "u proved me wrong" & proved ur point YESTERDAY! & just so it's crystal clear 4 EVERY1 2 SEE, thank u 4 correcting me 4 wording my comments incorrectly germ! i'll be extra cautious w/wut i say next time! ;)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, all studies will not have exactly the same results, there is also 2 different methods of measuring them depicted in those charts, one is a straight % while the other is %/kcal. Findings will vary, depending on certain variables, for one & not limited to, what the insects have been fed at & prior to the time of the study. They are a living organism so it is not something that every result will be the exactly the same every time, so the results are an average of the particular group that were studied. 2 of the charts (2nd & 4th) using the same type of measurement, are basically exactly the same, posted on many sites, just one is rounded off. The third one is using the %/kcal ratio. The first one shows a variation from the other 2, but still shows, as they all do, the relative comparison between feeders in relation to fat & protein, which is fairly consistent.

'For every one to see', is because it is informational for everyone & to dispel some of the common myths on the subject with something more substantial than opinion/personal preference, so other members may make informed choices. I fail to see how any of this are 'Silly Things'. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions & personal preferences, but they should be informed ones. If incorrect info is posted as fact & not corrected with proven data, this is how the many Myths erringly snowball as fact. Scientific studies are how we get the majority of our proper Husbandry specs, like temps, uvb, minimum enclosure size, nutrition, supplemental needs, etc, etc.
there IS scientific proof that using sand can cause impaction & this & that,
I would be interested in that, pertaining to clean, natural, strained/sifted sand, also. Always willing to learn from good info, particularly scientific proof.
2 sit here & justify my opinions & statments?!?!
When stated as facts, yes, I do believe that a person should be able to verify their source of info & back up statements when they are questionable. If our posts can not be questioned, I will echo, What is the point of a Forum? I was not aware that clear, explained, documented info & the search for fact based knowledge, was detrimental to anyone or anything.

This is not a personal attack, if you choose to take it as one, those are your Demons. But is the sharing of information for all to benefit, that has some depth & data for verification.

I do not tell people that they must use Mealworms or any other particular feeder, for that matter. Nor do I tell people that they must use Children's Washed Play Sand. Just that both are feasible, acceptable alternatives, that have been used quite successfully since the start of the hobby, contrary to the many Myths.

Latest posts