• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie owner!

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my bearded dragon (Mango) two weeks ago. He’s very much a baby! I did tons of research before hand and feel like everything is as it should be. The first two weeks I slowly let him warm Up to me and his new enclosure. He was super calm and seemed to enjoy being handled. Today I’ve tried to hold him and he runs in the opposite direction and wants nothing to do with me and seems very skittish. I’ve watched his behavior too while he’s alone in his tank and he’s much more active, almost stressed looking. What would have changed overnight? Is there something I should do or just let him be for the day? Thanks!!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Please post a picture of your setup when you have time, it could be a husbandry issue or something in your home may be stressing him.

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a picture of your setup when you have time, it could be a husbandry issue or something in your home may be stressing him.
F4AF411F-C077-40DC-B590-9E1288DA2376.jpeg

He normally sleeps in that plant and basks on the hammock

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 24246
He normally sleeps in that plant and basks on the hammock
What are you using for a UVB? Basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the hammock will not register a IR gun--- the most important things in that tank are the basking temps and UVB -- those two things are going to control the behavior and his all around health -- since I cannot see the UVB I will tell you if its a coil you need to get rid of it --- your dragon is going to do best by getting a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- your tank looks tall --- this needs to be installed ASAP-- as of this moment he looks like hes getting NO UVB --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so the eating will be off but if the lighting is not correct he will eventually quit eating all together ---

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using for a UVB? Basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the hammock will not register a IR gun--- the most important things in that tank are the basking temps and UVB -- those two things are going to control the behavior and his all around health -- since I cannot see the UVB I will tell you if its a coil you need to get rid of it --- your dragon is going to do best by getting a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- your tank looks tall --- this needs to be installed ASAP-- as of this moment he looks like hes getting NO UVB --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so the eating will be off but if the lighting is not correct he will eventually quit eating all together ---
Ah I do have a coil, I’ll go get what you said right now! I do manage the temps with a probe and the basking area is always about 105 but I’ll definitely fix the uvb light, thank you!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah I do have a coil, I’ll go get what you said right now! I do manage the temps with a probe and the basking area is always about 105 but I’ll definitely fix the uvb light, thank you!!
Please let me know what you get so I can help you set it up distance and placement is crucial

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please let me know what you get so I can help you set it up distance and placement is
Please let me know what you get so I can help you set it up distance and placement is crucial
I just got the uvb tube light! I have a 75 watt halogen bulb and 100 watt reptisun basking bulb. I’ve been using the halogen bulb in the basking area for his 40 gallon tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got the uvb tube light! I have a 75 watt halogen bulb and 100 watt reptisun basking bulb. I’ve been using the halogen bulb in the basking area for his 40 gallon tank.
Ok so what bulb T 5 or the T 8 -- and what does the screen on your tank look like? Fine screen mesh like a screen door and wide holed type if you dont know post a pic of it please- you only need one good basking bulb - the one that keeps temps to 105-110-- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so what bulb T 5 or the T 8 -- and what does the screen on your tank look like? Fine screen mesh like a screen door and wide holed type if you dont know post a pic of it please- you only need one good basking bulb - the one that keeps temps to 105-110-- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
They only had the T8 at the store and I didn’t want to leave him with the coil bulb anymore so I got that and I’m looking online for the T5 if that would be more beneficial! I’ll get a picture of the screen. Okay awesome, the 75 watt has been doing the job then

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the T 5 would work on top but the T 8 needs to go inside the tank --- here are some ways to hang it and do this first then you will need to adjust the basking decor directly under it w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb -- it needs to be exposed if there is one on 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – longplastic zip ties--- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- TAK TY cable and hook ties they look like velcro straps look at Walmart the basking decor piece needs to be approx 6-8 inches directly underneath --- after you get it placed in the tank keep me updated on his behavior you should notice it right away

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the T 5 would work on top but the T 8 needs to go inside the tank --- here are some ways to hang it and do this first then you will need to adjust the basking decor directly under it w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb -- it needs to be exposed if there is one on 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – longplastic zip ties--- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- TAK TY cable and hook ties they look like velcro straps look at Walmart the basking decor piece needs to be approx 6-8 inches directly underneath --- after you get it placed in the tank keep me updated on his behavior you should notice it right away
Okay I definitely will!! Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Snowyowl953

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could Mango be getting ready for a first shed? I’m not an expert in the slightest but I do remember my juvenile Ellie getting a bit weird right before. She shed only two weeks after I took her home. Poor thing. It looked sooo uncomfortable!

mconrad

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could Mango be getting ready for a first shed? I’m not an expert in the slightest but I do remember my juvenile Ellie getting a bit weird right before. She shed only two weeks after I took her home. Poor thing. It looked sooo uncomfortable!
Yes! He is just starting to shed now, I wonder if that has something to do with the weird behavior! I want to help with letting him soak in the sink but he still won’t let me pick him up!

Snowyowl953

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes! He is just starting to shed now, I wonder if that has something to do with the weird behavior! I want to help with letting him soak in the sink but he still won’t let me pick him up!
That’s ok! When my beardie was shedding I read that it’s best to give them space because they get really irritated (literally!) and that you can actually gently mist clean filtered water on them with a little water mist fan or something similar, making sure to avoid the eyes. Hope this helps!

Latest posts