• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Owner

Marcela

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Guys!
proud new mom to a baby beardie named Yoda! question for you guys who live in the states...does it make sense to have pet insurance for beardie's? we're still getting a hang on everything and just wondered about this.
thanks!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Guys!
proud new mom to a baby beardie named Yoda! question for you guys who live in the states...does it make sense to have pet insurance for beardie's? we're still getting a hang on everything and just wondered about this.
thanks!

Are you talking about for the vet and doctor bills or insurance like house insurance?

Anthony Radford

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've never really heard of pet insurance, but I live under a rock to some extent, lol... If your dragon is good and healthy, and doesn't have a lot of health issues, you may only need to go to the vet once a year for a checkup and a fecal. Compared to the monthly cost (or combined annual cost) of the premium, it may be cheaper to just pay out of pocket for the annual visit. Where I live, the average visit with fecal is generally around $100, give or take... Granted, and needed medication is not included in that estimate, and should be taken into consideration as well. But reptile medications shouldn't cost a lot.

That said, if your Beardie has health issues, and will require more frequent visits, then getting such insurance may be a good idea. Again, I would weigh out the anticipated costs of visits, tests, and possibly meds versus the costs associated with insurance and its copay.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
vet doctor bills....

I think you need to weigh it out, maybe do a pro and con list. Most of the time it's a once a year annual check up.

Some of us have had to deal with parasites and medicine which means going back to the vet for a follow up. You need to call your vet and ask them how much the visit and the fecal exam are.

Because there are places online where you can get the worm medicine cheaper than the vets. And you can send a fecal to be tested online. Only thing is when you get the medicine at the vets it's instant. Ordering online takes days to get it.

As long as you are feeding you beardie heathy feeders (you can have the feeders tested for parasites) and you are using the right lights, supplements, etc. Your beardie should be happy and heathy.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Guys!
thanks!

Congrats on your new baby and welcome.
The cheapest pet insurance I have seen (there may be much cheaper options) is $30 a month. It's completely up to you. Where I am located it only cost anywhere from 20-50 for an exam and 15-20 to preform a fecal test. When our Beardie tested positive for parasites it was an extra 15 for treatment. Yes all of that does add up. However most vets will only need to do an exam one time. After that they will usually just do fecals for you saving you the amount you'd spend on the exam. I personally wouldn't get the insurance but that's just me.

After the first visit (once you get the exam behind you) if you have fecals done twice a year and just pay full price you'd spend let's just round it to 50 a year. If you get pet insurance you'll almost be spending that monthly. Unless of course you have other pets with insurance, in that case you may get a good deal to add an extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know for some it would be worth it but that would be if you have a high needs one...But I personally don't think it would really be worth doing as for a healthy dragon it wouldn't need to be seen that often to make it worth it..
mxworld where have you seen that you can test your feeders?? I've not heard of doing that, I know some are more prone to having them...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm going to step in and give some more costs to you to weigh. By me, a wellness check for a bearded dragon is $60 and a fecal is $40. I have a sick dragon so she went in for a recheck and a gram stain and an X-ray, it was $183. She may need to have surgery, the estimate on the surgery is $450! This is all within a month.

Also think about this, with pet insurance you still have to pay the fees upfront and then get reimbursed. Some offices offer something called Care Credit that is like a medical credit card that you sign up for. Usually Care credit approves you for the amount that is owed. CC pays the office in full and then you pay CC each month like a credit card, interest free depending on the terms the office set for you.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep Patsyb is correct our dog had 2 knee surgeries and we had to get care credit as we don't have 5K!! we pay 116 a month..
you just have to weight the pro's and con's..

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My girls are insured for illness, accidents, missing, fire and theft. I pay routine check ups.
I have it more for my own peace of mind. Examples, they might fall when I pick them up break a bone; they could slip their harness when we out n run, lights in viv could be faulty n cause a fire; not only will be a expensive to replace viv will be expensive vet bills.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My girls are insured for illness, accidents, missing, fire and theft. I pay routine check ups.
I have it more for my own peace of mind. Examples, they might fall when I pick them up break a bone; they could slip their harness when we out n run, lights in viv could be faulty n cause a fire; not only will be a expensive to replace viv will be expensive vet bills.

Did you get that through your insurance company or the vet?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd rather pay a little each month then I know everything is covered

I agree! Because now with 2 beardies and 2 of everything it would be so expensive to replace everything.

I will call tomorrow. Is this on your home owners insurance.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nope just straight forward insurance for the girls

And you are in Canada, right? So that company probably isn't in the states. Errrrr

Guess I've got my work cut out for me looking for a company. But I like how you explained it.

For example if they fall and break a bone or if there is a fire. After you explained it, it all made sense to me.

Latest posts