• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Owner - Shedding and Behavior Questions

Frankie Bedford

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!

I got Moses two days ago and I have a few questions. He started shedding today.

Yesterday and today he spent a lot of time by the basking spot of his new home, not much roaming into the other half of the tank. Is this just because he's still not used to his new environment?
Also, will on the side with the basking lamp he will suddenly jump against the side of the take and start quickly hitting the glass with his front two claws, as if he wants to get out. He'll quickly run up and down the side and do it up and down the side. Is this also part to him not being used to his environment or is perhaps the stress from shedding or both even?

Just a quick shredding question. I understand that it can be stressful - topped with the stress of being moved into a new home. I want to know - is there's anything I can do for him? I heard warm baths should help but since this is only his second day I don't want to handle him too much and stress him out even more.

Thanks so much!

Frankie
photo.JPG

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
well u are correct, since u just got ur beardie, u don't wanna handle him/her 2 much! u are suppose 2 allow around 7-10 days w/as little handling as possible. u can always lightly mist ur beardie w/a lil spray bottle u can pick up 4 pretty cheap at walmart or a dollar store. just a light misting here & there shud help w/the shedding process. some use the misting method, others don't, but since ur beardie is new, i wud say mist not bathe.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
well u are correct, since u just got ur beardie, u don't wanna handle him/her 2 much! u are suppose 2 allow around 7-10 days w/as little handling as possible. u can always lightly mist ur beardie w/a lil spray bottle u can pick up 4 pretty cheap at walmart or a dollar store. just a light misting here & there shud help w/the shedding process. some use the misting method, others don't, but since ur beardie is new, i wud say mist not bathe.
I totally would echo Jessica on this one. Mist your poor lil guy lots n lots. The "glass dancing" where he's clawing at the glass is perfectly normal behavior and most baby beardies do it, some to the point of ignoring their food. If it becomes a concern you can try to put up a background, it seems to minimize the behavior, though not alleviate it altogether. The lil guy is used to being with an entire clutch and is in a totally new environment where he thinks his reflection is another dragon. Give it a little time, it might minimize on its own. Keep an eye on it.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm kind of on the fence on this one, tipping & falling towards a warm soak over repeated misting for the first while. I feel that one good warm soak 2-3 days apart during the acclimation period would be much more beneficial than repeated mistings. It has my experience that picking it up to mist it from head to tip of tail in your hand, is less stressful on any BD, at any time, than chasing it around spraying it with a mister in the enclosure. Either method of misting, may cause a stressful experience multiple times (from Both handling & misting) compared to the possible stress of one good warm soaking every few days during acclimation.

The basking area is where it should be spending the majority of it's time, compared to any other single area of the enclosure, if your temps are set up properly. As the others have said, the rest is pretty much normal activity.

Just my $.02.

Congrats on the New Pet
icon_thumright-1.gif

Frankie Bedford

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you guys so much! He finished his shed the same day it happened and I misted him some and plan to bathe him in the next day or so - I'm still a little nervous about handling his so soon.
Thanks for telling me about the glass dancing. I was really worried but much more at ease now, but I will definitely keep an eye on it and look into backgrounds :)
Once again, thanks so much guys! :D

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear your dragon is doing so well!

Latest posts