• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new beardie, need enclosure advice

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I have posted a couple times here on this forum, sorry. But I am a new beardie owner and Boogie is a juvenile but not tiny, he's about 8-9 inches long.

He is in a 20 gallon tank right now (yes I plan on upgrading). He has a 75 watt ZooMed basking bulb and a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB. I put a lot of plants in his enclosure against the back and sides because his reflection in the glass freaks him out.

I am attaching a photo, but I have the basking light on the left side with his basking rock right under it. I have the UVB on the other side. I originally put it there when he had a higher basking rock that allowed him to be within 6 inches of the UVB but when that basking rock started SMOKING...yes, smoking... I replaced it with this shorter one, so now he's not as close to the UVB when he's basking.

I have trouble with testing the temperatures in the tank. I have the ZooMed digital thermometer with the probe and when I leave it attached to the side of the tank (basking side), it averages about 80-85. When I hold it over the basking rock (not against it because that would just give me the heat of the rock, but over the rock, like where Boogie's head would be), it rings in around 107. But I don't know if I'm measuring correctly. I've seen people saying that you're supposed to leave the probe on the rock for 45 minutes but wouldn't that just build heat from the rock which is absorbing heat and reflecting it? Don't we need to test the atmosphere just above the rock, where he will be getting the heat from? Since they absorb heat from above the rock, not on it?

QUESTIONS:
- How do I measure the temperature of the basking spot most accurately?
- Do I need to move the UVB to the basking side? If so, completely on that side or in the middle of the tank?
- I've only had him a few days and the lowest temp his tank reached at night is 62 degrees. It doesn't seem to bother him, he just sleeps, but should I get a heat emitter for nighttime?

Pics of your guys' enclosures would be very helpful to see, if anyone wants to share. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 5ACEA6D1-F538-4EDC-A02E-67E898542217.jpeg
    5ACEA6D1-F538-4EDC-A02E-67E898542217.jpeg
    706.4 KB · Views: 157

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
an essential piece of kit for measuring surface temps is an Infra red temp gun, they aren't expensive. It will probably suprise you just how hot that resin rock gets. You will need to remedy this by either moving the rock slightly away from the focal point of the light or getting a lower wattage bulb or ideally a dimmer. Beardies cant sense heat from their bellies so they can burn themselves if it is too hot.
Ideally the UV tube should cover 2/3s of the length of the tank, so when you upgrade the tank you will likely need to get a bigger UVB tube. I would get a T5, they are fantastic. As it stands currently you dont need to move the UV from where it is I dont think. The light from the basking bulb and the UV should overlap, so if you imagine the light from both coming down in a cone shape you are just about there.
Night temps should be 65 , so a CHE for night would be a good idea especially as the weather cools.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's very hard to get good temp gradient in a 20 gallon tank. You did right measuring the temp right in the basking spot where your dragon sits. Measuring it on the glass only gives you the ambient temp by the side of the tank and not really where your dragon is sitting. A temp gun will give you more freedom to measure all parts of the tank. Like BeardedHippy said, make sure the UVB bulb and the basking bulb are in the same spot of the tank, they need the heat to work with the UVB to synthesize calcium.

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's very hard to get good temp gradient in a 20 gallon tank. You did right measuring the temp right in the basking spot where your dragon sits. Measuring it on the glass only gives you the ambient temp by the side of the tank and not really where your dragon is sitting. A temp gun will give you more freedom to measure all parts of the tank. Like BeardedHippy said, make sure the UVB bulb and the basking bulb are in the same spot of the tank, they need the heat to work with the UVB to synthesize calcium.
Thanks so much for your replies! I picked up his upgrade tank, 50 gallon Exo Terra, today even though I plan on letting him get settled with me for a few more weeks before I transfer him. Couldn't pass up the Black Friday deal on the tank when I saw it! At least I have it already when he is ready to transfer. All I have to get before moving him is the bigger Reptisun UVB, and stronger bulbs. Would you mind telling me what wattage basking bulb you recommend for the 50 gallon Exo Terra? And for the CHE?

Sorry for the many questions. This is my first beardie and I just want to give him the best life possible! Thank you so much again.

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
For CHE I would say 50 or 60 watts depending on how cold your room gets. Beardies are fine down to the mid 60s, and you want them to cool down some after basking all day. I only run mine if it might get below 65, and dont run it in the am to heat things up quicker if above 65. A slow gradual warm up is better than a fast one from everything Ive read from breeders.

Also I do one day a week with no lights or heat or food, gives them a rest. Temperture stays around 75 to 78 all day in Tabasco's room.

Did you get a terrarium with front doors? They are soooo much easier. How long is terrarium?

As far as basking, how tall is where light is to basking spot? Distance not size of tank is what matters here. You might need a 60 to 75 watt depending on distance. What is your new terrariums height?

Also I would look for a Arcadia T5 PRO UVB fixture with a Arcadia 14% dragon bulb if going on top of screen. If under a 12% would be great. UVB does not have to be as long as terrarium, I like mine offset to basking side and not over cool area. So for a 36" Long a 24" fixture is nice. Even a 18" will work if mounted under screen. Just hard to find quality 18" fixtures with good reflectors, and many shops dont carry 18" quality bulbs.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks so much for your replies! I picked up his upgrade tank, 50 gallon Exo Terra, today even though I plan on letting him get settled with me for a few more weeks before I transfer him. Couldn't pass up the Black Friday deal on the tank when I saw it! At least I have it already when he is ready to transfer. All I have to get before moving him is the bigger Reptisun UVB, and stronger bulbs. Would you mind telling me what wattage basking bulb you recommend for the 50 gallon Exo Terra? And for the CHE?

Sorry for the many questions. This is my first beardie and I just want to give him the best life possible! Thank you so much again.

Since he’s still little I would start with a 100 watt basking bulb and see if that gets the temps where they need to be. Lost of us have multiple wattages of bulbs in hand. I end up having to change the wattages when the seasons change. A 60 watt CHE should work fine. You just need the temps between 65-70 at night. They need a temp drop and complete darkness to rest their brain.

Cyber Monday might bring along some online deals for lights and fixtures. I would recommend a T5 size bulb for your UVB. And make sure it covers at least 2/3 of the tank. I got the 36” and it covers the whole tank. Arcadia 12 or 14% are good and the Reptisun HO are second.

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
For CHE I would say 50 or 60 watts depending on how cold your room gets. Beardies are fine down to the mid 60s, and you want them to cool down some after basking all day. I only run mine if it might get below 65, and dont run it in the am to heat things up quicker if above 65. A slow gradual warm up is better than a fast one from everything Ive read from breeders.

Also I do one day a week with no lights or heat or food, gives them a rest. Temperture stays around 75 to 78 all day in Tabasco's room.

Did you get a terrarium with front doors? They are soooo much easier. How long is terrarium?

As far as basking, how tall is where light is to basking spot? Distance not size of tank is what matters here. You might need a 60 to 75 watt depending on distance. What is your new terrariums height?

Also I would look for a Arcadia T5 PRO UVB fixture with a Arcadia 14% dragon bulb if going on top of screen. If under a 12% would be great. UVB does not have to be as long as terrarium, I like mine offset to basking side and not over cool area. So for a 36" Long a 24" fixture is nice. Even a 18" will work if mounted under screen. Just hard to find quality 18" fixtures with good reflectors, and many shops dont carry 18" quality bulbs.
My room gets pretty cold. It was getting to 61 at night so I got a 60 watt CHE and it only brings it up to about 70 so not sure if I'd have to get a higher wattage for that one.

Yes I got the one with the front doors. That was a must for sure.

The terrarium is 36 x 18 x 18, a lot taller than the current one he's in so the distance will increase a lot. Not sure the exact dimensions on his current 20 gallon but I use a 75 watt for it right now so I'm sure I'll have to get a 100.

And I'm putting the UVB inside the tank, so I use the tube bulbs. So you're saying the Arcadia UVB is better than Reptisun?

haleyannette

Bearded Dragon Egg
Since he’s still little I would start with a 100 watt basking bulb and see if that gets the temps where they need to be. Lost of us have multiple wattages of bulbs in hand. I end up having to change the wattages when the seasons change. A 60 watt CHE should work fine. You just need the temps between 65-70 at night. They need a temp drop and complete darkness to rest their brain.

Cyber Monday might bring along some online deals for lights and fixtures. I would recommend a T5 size bulb for your UVB. And make sure it covers at least 2/3 of the tank. I got the 36” and it covers the whole tank. Arcadia 12 or 14% are good and the Reptisun HO are second.
Okay, yeah I was thinking 100 watt. And I have the 60 watt CHE right now for his short 20 gallon and it only brings the temp up at night to about 70 but I'll see how it does in the new one before buying a higher wattage bulb. The new tank dimensions are 36 x 18 x 18 so it's a whole lot taller.

And hmm okay a lot of people are saying the Arcadia 12%. That's a tube bulb, right? Because I like to put the UVB inside the tank. The new ExoTerra is 36 inches long so I would get the 36 inch Arcadia T5? That would be convenient because I wanted to cover more of the tank with the UVB but Reptisun only has up to 24 inch bulbs as far I know.

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
A 36" fixture might not fit inside that enclosure, as inside dimensions are smaller.
I would go for a 24" offset to basking side, both lights work together. Give your beardie a real cool side where he/she can chill out without eye damage. If you want full enclosure UVB you should get a double fixture. One for UVB, the other for light. I think one side being darker allows them to de-stress, I know my little guy likes it.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The Arcadia tubes are very efficient, they dont produce a lot of heat, just a lot of light in the spectrums a dragon uses for calcium and d3 conversion etc. It needs to cover 2/3s of the tank ideally, so get a 24" as Tabasco says.
A 100w basking bulb should be ok, but just in case I would put that on a dimmer or a dimming thermostat. You can alter the temperature easier this way, or if you have a dimming thermostat , have it do it automatically.

M

Masonbushell4664

Try a digital thermometer with a probe. Not sure if that’s been said lol. Only because the temp guns only read surface temps. Wrap it around a piece of wood or something under the basking light so the probe isn’t touching anything. Also a tube uvb is the best and it should cover 3/4 of the tank.

Latest posts