• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Mom

Kyler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all!
I am the proud new dragon mom of an approximately four year old female. While she is my first bearded, I have kept reptiles for over 15 years (since I was a young child, with the help of my parents obviously lol). My girl came from an interesting situation. She was purchased by a young male with another bearded about four years ago. He had them both for about two years at which point he decided he didnt want them any more and left them with his aging mother, who is the person I got her from. I do not know any of my girls history prior to her living with the woman I got her from. Unfortunately the other BD she was kept with passed away about a year ago, and they do not know what happened to her. I suspect that it was either malnutrition, or competition and fighting due to being kept in a small enclosure with another dragon.
The woman I picked her up from was very kind, but knew nothing about keeping reptiles. When I asked what veggies she liked to eat, she replied "beardeds like veggies? thats cool". This poor girl has not had a single veggie in at least two years (if not her whole life) and has been kept alive on a diet solely of crickets and meal worms. That were not gut loaded. Additionally none of her food was dusted either so I can only imagine that she is very undernourished.
With all of that being said, that leads me to THE BIG QUESTION. How do I get this sweet girl to eat her veggies? I have offered all different kinds of veggies, and even some fruits in an effort to see if she will eat any of them, and so far all that she has willingly eaten are a few kernels of corn (obviously not a staple food). I found some success in blending the food up in a nutribullet and feeding it as a smoothie off of a spoon, but I am hoping someone may have some magical trick to getting her on whole leafy greens.
Thanks so much for reading to the end

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Poor, sweet girl! There are several things that people try. In this case, I think one of the first I’d try is mixing some black soldier fly larvae or roaches into her salad, in the hopes that she’d get bites with the insects and realize it’s good stuff. Other people wait until they’re chewing an insect and slip a leaf into their mouth while they chew. Another trick is dusting the salad with some bee pollen, but if she doesn’t know it’s edible stuff at all, I don’t know if that would entice her. Keep us posted on how it goes, and thank you for saving her!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ditto Janelle...You can also get some hornworms and put a few on the greens and as the dragon goes to eat them the hornworm will hold onto the green... Just keep at it.. keep up the slurries of good greens lots of benefits there..

Kyler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poor, sweet girl! There are several things that people try. In this case, I think one of the first I’d try is mixing some black soldier fly larvae or roaches into her salad, in the hopes that she’d get bites with the insects and realize it’s good stuff. Other people wait until they’re chewing an insect and slip a leaf into their mouth while they chew. Another trick is dusting the salad with some bee pollen, but if she doesn’t know it’s edible stuff at all, I don’t know if that would entice her. Keep us posted on how it goes, and thank you for saving her!

Thank you so much for the advice! I ordered her some black soldier fly larvae and will give it a try. I have been syringe feeding her her veggie smoothie mix with all of her vitamins and leafy greens in it, and she had her first poop today! It was shocking to see because you can very clearly see the healthy versus unhealthy part of it. Half of it are solid black pellets filled with mealworm exoskelletons and the other half is beautiful, hydrated, properly colored poop. I am so excited right now!!! I will actually be making a post with the photo because it is just so shocking to me

Kyler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ditto Janelle...You can also get some hornworms and put a few on the greens and as the dragon goes to eat them the hornworm will hold onto the green... Just keep at it.. keep up the slurries of good greens lots of benefits there..

I will be heading out to a reptile store this weekend to try out some hornworms for her. I think she will like it. I have been syringe feeding her her veggie smoothie mix with all of her vitamins and leafy greens in it, and she had her first poop today! It was shocking to see because you can very clearly see the healthy versus unhealthy part of it. Half of it are solid black pellets filled with mealworm exoskelletons and the other half is beautiful, hydrated, properly colored poop. I am so excited right now!!! I will actually be making a post with the photo because it is just so shocking to me

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Yay for beautiful poop! Funny what can cause us to happy dance. Keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Latest posts