• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie concerned about uvb light!

Mattie3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! So we got a bearded dragon. He/she is the best! I have it in a 20 long terrarium. I know....I will need to upgrade VERY soon. The basking temp is on target, however the store employee sent me home eith a arcadia t5 7% with reflector.... The height is only 12 inches and there is a mesh screen. I'm very concerned about the lack of uvb. I am reading conflicting info on t5 and t8. The basking spot is 9 inches from the top currently. We want the best for our bearded but need to change this lighting asap until we upgrade. Our bearded is eating well and active. Is a t5 10 too powerful to sit on top? Should we opt for the t8 10 for now? Thanks in advance!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! So we got a bearded dragon. He/she is the best! I have it in a 20 long terrarium. I know....I will need to upgrade VERY soon. The basking temp is on target, however the store employee sent me home eith a arcadia t5 7% with reflector.... The height is only 12 inches and there is a mesh screen. I'm very concerned about the lack of uvb. I am reading conflicting info on t5 and t8. The basking spot is 9 inches from the top currently. We want the best for our bearded but need to change this lighting asap until we upgrade. Our bearded is eating well and active. Is a t5 10 too powerful to sit on top? Should we opt for the t8 10 for now? Thanks in advance!
I have not even heard of the 7% Arcadia bulb - I am going to get some one elses help that may know on this - in the mean time heres a website that may help w/ explanation of the bulbs - can you show me the fixture your using please - I usually recommend a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb but the distance would be 12 - 15 inches on top w/ no screen - you could use that or get that but show me the fixture first please and I will get back w/ you on that 7% bulb -- some of these bulbs are made for certain reptiles as you will see on the website I am posting -- please tell me the fixture model etc it is or if its a Pro T 5 - https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have not even heard of the 7% Arcadia bulb - I am going to get some one elses help that may know on this - in the mean time heres a website that may help w/ explanation of the bulbs - can you show me the fixture your using please - I usually recommend a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb but the distance would be 12 - 15 inches on top w/ no screen - you could use that or get that but show me the fixture first please and I will get back w/ you on that 7% bulb -- some of these bulbs are made for certain reptiles as you will see on the website I am posting -- please tell me the fixture model etc it is or if its a Pro T 5 - https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/
Heres the reply I got back

Yeah it's a newer shade critter model. It would probably work on a 20g, but will need to be replaced (can re-use the same T5 fixture) with a 12% or 14% bulb when a bigger enclosure is used. Think of them as similar to the 5.0 ReptiSun with optimal output at around 6-8'' or so.

Mattie3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the response. The associate told me to get this bulb since I had a small enclosed for now but after doing research I learned the light won't be strong enough through the screen. I also am attaching the screen lid on top. Basking area is about 105 at hottest spot.
Heres the reply I got back

Yeah it's a newer shade critter model. It would probably work on a 20g, but will need to be replaced (can re-use the same T5 fixture) with a 12% or 14% bulb when a bigger enclosure is used. Think of them as similar to the 5.0 ReptiSun with optimal output at around 6-8'' or so.
Awesome thanks for the reply. I'm attaching photos of the fixture, etc. Can it be placed on top of screen? Also I would rather go to a larger size bc this one is a 12 inch I believe. But for now I can just replace the bulb? This light was for a gecko but the associate told me it would work for the small enclosure. Ugh

Attachments

• 20220323_093017.jpg
    20220323_093017.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220323_093037.jpg
    20220323_093037.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220323_093250.jpg
    20220323_093250.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the response. The associate told me to get this bulb since I had a small enclosed for now but after doing research I learned the light won't be strong enough through the screen. I also am attaching the screen lid on top. Basking area is about 105 at hottest spot.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I'm attaching photos of the fixture, etc. Can it be placed on top of screen? Also I would rather go to a larger size bc this one is a 12 inch I believe. But for now I can just replace the bulb? This light was for a gecko but the associate told me it would work for the small enclosure. Ugh
With the 7% bulb it needs to be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor unobstructed-- I would use it till you get the new enclosure but the screen is good for a stronger bulb not the 7% --- how wide is the 20 gallon? Will it fit width wise on your tank? Its really short - I have seen 14 inch fixtures but not 12 -- if it fits across width wise take it and place it at one end of the tank and butt your screen up to the UVB fixture placing the basking bulb next to it -- place a piece of basking decor directly underneath the UVB 6-8 inches here is a pic of my 20 gallon set up when I had it --- the UVB is in the center of the tank w/ the basking bulb clamped at the end
Are you getting basking surface temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 37

Mattie3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry i had misread the second reply you made about it being close to a 5.0 if directly over.
Yes the fixture is 12 inches. The fixture fits across width wise, barely but I will need to secure it somehow to the lid. I'm thinking just remove the screen and get a light stand so I can adjust the basking light as well. I will also get basking decor to raise the height closer to the uvb.
I have used the digital thermometer on basking and an infrared gun at close range. Thanks for showing me the setup you had!

Do I need to get a digital probe thermometer?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry i had misread the second reply you made about it being close to a 5.0 if directly over.
Yes the fixture is 12 inches. The fixture fits across width wise, barely but I will need to secure it somehow to the lid. I'm thinking just remove the screen and get a light stand so I can adjust the basking light as well. I will also get basking decor to raise the height closer to the uvb.
I have used the digital thermometer on basking and an infrared gun at close range. Thanks for showing me the setup you had!

Do I need to get a digital probe thermometer?
Yes 2 of them one on the cool side of the tank one on basking side- your going to need the for your bigger tank- those are the most accurate

Mattie3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes 2 of them one on the cool side of the tank one on basking side- your going to need the for your bigger tank- those are the most accurate
Thanks. Which one do you suggest? And does Amazon keep these?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. Which one do you suggest? And does Amazon keep these?
You can get them off Amazon look for zoo med they are in a yellow package or pet Smart or Petco sells them in store

Latest posts