• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie... Bones showing.

kokolizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
I picked up out new beardie on Saturday evening. From what the guy told me she was "healthy" and lived with 2 other males. Almost ALL of her toe nails are missing. Her hips are showing and she has scars all over her neck. She's only 8 months old so is there a chance that she was mated with since she lived with 2 males? She's a pretty little girl and reminds me of honey, so her name is Honey-Bell (my son wanted to name her Bella, so I combined the 2 names.)

So over time with the proper care and food, her bony hips shouldn't be bony? My boy free ranges and I leave the back door open she he can see outside and get nature light. I've been letting her do the same thing only when I can supervise. He's such a gentleman that he leaves her alone.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh my....the poor little thing. How can a beardie be healthy if it has been chewed on by 2 males for how many months?? You are so good to take her home where she will thrive and be a happy girl. I would leave her alone in her enclosure for about a week to 10 days so she can adjust to her new home. Make sure her temps are correct and you have the correct lighting. As she gains weight her boniness will disappear. What is 'my boy free ranges'? :D
Welcome to BDF. This is really a great forum with so many people wanting to help all of us beardie owners!! Come back often with questions and concerns....you won't go wrong!

Pat B

Super Moderator
What the heck? I just wrote a nice long comment and it disappeared!! Oh well....I will try again!
Wow! How can a beardie be 'healthy' if it has been housed with 2 males for how many months?? She is so very lucky to have you to take her home and let her thrive with proper care. I would leave her alone in her enclosure for about a week - 10 days so she can adjust to her new home. Make sure her temps are good and she has the proper lighting. If her little hip bones are showing she probably wasn't fed properly....such a shame. It might be a good idea to get a poop sample and get a fecal count and take her to a vet if you can just to make sure she doesn't have anything going on in her insides.
What does 'my boy free ranges' mean??? Don't have a clue. :D
Welcome to BDF! This is a wonderful (and the best) forum for all your beardie questions and concerns. There are so many people here that will help you out in whatever you need to help your beardie. Good luck and come back often!! :cool:

kokolizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Lol.. My male runs the room.
Also I'm looking into make an outdoor play pen. Thinking about doing a 2'x18"x4' playpen with possible a hardware cloth wire to keep them in. Its pretty warm here so some outside time might really do them some good.

Latest posts