• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie behavior

CiriTheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I'm a very new reptile owner and I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Another bearded dragon forum had me confused, people telling me different things. I followed the "what to buy" page on their forum, then got berated for some of the things in the comments when I asked a behavior question, despite the fact that that same forum is where I did my research! She seems stressed and I'm stressed so someone please give me some clear, straightforward advice :( Also, I'm going to give a lot of detail, so I'm sorry for the length and if I included anything unnecessary, please bare with me haha

Two weeks ago, I took in a 2 year old female bearded dragon. She came from a family who had her in a 40 gal, a 60 W basking bulb, a heat rock, and no UVB. She was fed a diet of pellets, crickets, and blueberries I was told. It was pretty sudden that I got her, so I've been trying to get everything together these past 2 weeks. Every time I think I've got it, she starts acting up again and the other bearded dragon community tells me its all wrong.

I moved her into a Zen Habitat 4'x2'x2' enclosure. She has shelf liner as substrate. Her main basking log is usually around 100F, her cool side is around 80F. All lights are turned on at 7 AM and turned off at 9 PM. She has NO lights on at night, her temps never fall below 75F. Her UVB is a Reptisun 5.0 T5 HO, which I was told should be a 10.0, which was my mistake when purchasing. Her diet now consists of collard greens, acorn squash, and I mix up an occasional third veggie or a fruit for a treat. For protein, she gets dubia roaches at least 3 times a week, calcium 2 times a week, and a multivitamin once a week.

She's on a routine where at 7 her lights come on and at 7:15 she waits in her food dish spot for me to bring her her salad. At first, she would eat a piece here and there throughout the day. It seemed like progress, she was acting normally. Now for the past 3 days, she follows her routine, but may or may not eat anything in the morning. By 9 AM, she's going NUTS against the glass to be let out, she runs along the glass, pushing her snout against the glass, clawing at it, sometimes throwing food around the tank. It's very dramatic, annoying, and I'm afraid of her injuring herself. When I let her out so she stops, she walks around for a few minutes, then finds a dark corner to lounge in until I force her to go back. I let her out for a few hours but then I make her go back because I know she needs to eat and she needs to bask. Sometimes she's okay with it and is calm the rest of the night, some times she's fine for maybe a half an hour and then she's right back to being crazy! I truly do not know what to do...

Side note, the first week she only pooped maybe twice, and then this week she has pooped everyday except yesterday. Her poops have looked normal the past few days. Today she pooped this morning like usual, and then after I put her back (she was out for 4 hours) she went again but no poop, just liquid and urate. I'm not sure if any of that is relevant but thought I'd include anyway just in case.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
It sounds like you've got her setup nearly perfect. The 10.0 bulb will be a good change, but the 5.0 is what usually comes with the T5HO fixture, so you didn't make a mistake with that, really, you just needed to know to buy the separate 10.0 bulb. If you can get a kitchen/food scale that can be set to measure grams, that may help you. You can track her weight, so if she's active but not eating much, you'll be able to see if she's maintaining a fairly steady weight. They do go through periods of lower appetite, but if there's no big or sudden weight loss, that's a good sign that they're just not hungry.
Also, you've only had her a couple of weeks, and she's had several environment changes in that time, so she's likely still adjusting.
Hyperactivity/glass surfing don't always indicate stress, so give her a bit of time, try not to stress out, and get to know her. :0)

Latest posts