• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie- Angel

Vinzy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey all this is my new beardie Angel :)

She is so calm and so beautiful just like an angel! (Hence the name :p)

Here is one photo I will upload more later:

2a7amvl.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awwwwwwwe lookit that face !
She is an angel..
Thank youuuuuuu !
Awwwwwwwwe.....

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pure contentment Id say. Gorgeous little angelface
How old is she?

Vinzy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am actually not sure because it was a donation to someone going over seas and they did not know the age when I got her I would say she is around 6,7,8 months?

Another pic:

1gniat.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Feed her up on woodies and you'll most likely see a good bit of growth on her still..
Lovely..

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Absolutely adorable pics. I can see the name Angel, definitely.

One point...totally your choice, but it looks to me like you have either tiny rocks or English walnut shells as substrate. Either way, both of those can be very dangerous to beardies. They can ingest those and it can lead to impaction problems. A non particle is always the best (paper towels, reptile carpet, non adhesive shelf liner, ceramic tiles). If you aren't sure and you do chose to take out what you have you can just lay down paper towels until you decide. Go take a look at the picture section...there are some great pics of substrate.

Vinzy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi li

I know about the substrate but the pet shop has used it for over 3 years now with no problems. I am researching what substrate I want.

See I want something that looks natural. Tiles don't look natural lol :D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I understand that... You can use a particulate substrate, however the cost is in the time expense daily to make sure it is filtered, and then there is the issue of the dragon licking the substrate up, thus a binding issue can arise.. Not to mention the bacteria levels..Higher basking temps would also be in order, if I remember correctly..

It can be done.. but again, you'd have to be Hyper attentive to many different issues.
Good luck !

Vinzy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It is crushed peach seeds.

If i see her trying to lick it or digests it while eating crickets I will remove the substrate otherwise why not keep it like it is if there is no problems :)?

Would corn cob be a better option?

Another pic:

akwd1c.jpg

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She is very very pretty. Congratulations.
Just a thought I want to share with you.... Most pet stores have their heads up their butts when it comes to proper beardie care. They make pretty good money on substrate though. That is truth! Want the best advice? Find a breeder, or an experienced owner. I am neither, but have had my three for a while now, and after watching them them eat their fave dubias...I would NOT use any substrate other than what Li mentioned. I agree with her. And impactions are horrible for your baby.
You can get natural looking (brown/tan repticarpet, and you can wash it. I usually use papertowels. Good ones though. I want them to stay down, and its easy ti clean up after a poo. And I have repticarpet also.. I keep telling myself I should switch to tile, it keeps their nails trimmed. I trim them myself now.
O.K. I don't want to sound like your Mom. None of us would steer you wrong here, or give you advice that wasn't tried. tested, and true.
Enjoy that sweet baby girl!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know what you mean about wanting it to look natural. Beardies live on hard dried clay so I found a tile at Lowes for $0.88/tile that is "clay" colored and textured and I love it. So easy to clean and looks good too.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That last picture is a killer!!!!

Again, totally your choice. Just giving you a heads up as to what can happen with anything that can be ingested like that.

A beardies true substrate in the wild is actually a hard clay. Not a good substrate for a tank due to waste material. You can use washed sifted playsand (not calcisand), but even that is a particle and not the best choice, but very usable and a lot safer than what you have. I think Staylor mentioned clay colored tiles...another option.

Vinzy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I got a new way of feeding her now and I think me and her find it alot more fun!

I lay a black towel down on my bed, which doesent get caught in her nails by the way... And just put crickets there and she runs around my bed eating crickets and I like every good daddy I make sure no crickets escape and she eats them all :D

This way she can't digest anything and she gets more exercise from all the running space and its alot more fun AND the crickets cannot hide in her cage and then at night disturb her because there won't be any in her cage! :D

I will post a pic of it when I feed her again but in the mean time here is another pic of her:

2luqcjp.jpg

If you take her face in this pic it reminds me of an axolotl haha, but I think she likes her water bowl :p

Thx

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I like that feeding arrangement, much safer for Angel

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
she is so cute! you take great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Latest posts