• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new beardie and identification please

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
ok so first of all i got a new beardie today. now let me tell you the story real quick and see if anyone can help me out

i went to the pet store today and saw this little beauty in a gross dirty tank and had to have it. i know its a bearded dragon i have one already but i dont know what kind. its only 3 days old. it hatched on Christmas day. the guy wanted 90$ i worked him down to 20$ because of the age and no promise that it is healthy cause it hasnt been alive long enough to really tell. i have worked with lots of baby reptiles so i know how to care for him (one reason he was willing to let me have him) though i dont like the way he works with his hatchlings.....but anyways i really want to know what she is like a leather back or what breed.

i think she is gorgeous!!!!
PART_1356763340589.jpg
PART_1356763340589.jpg
PART_1356763651042.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
She is beautiful!! What is a pet store doing selling a beardie at only 3 days?? That has got to be beardie neglect. If it were me....I would write to corporate HQ and tell them what is going on.....Good that you have experience with babies and I hope he makes it. Keep us posted as to how he is doing....pictures really are beautiful....love the colors.

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
it is a private owned pet store and i have turned them in quite a few times.......but they never get in trouble. i saw a dead snake once in a cage. it was there when i went back later in a puddle of rot. its y i talked him into giving me the little guy. i didnt want him to die and he was so cute. the place is gross. if i didnt need feeders for the winter. i wouldnt go in there. we are getting a petsmart here in a few months. i cant wait

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
I love the spot of white above his/her nose! You could name it Spot or Pearl if its a girl. Pearl would be nice.
It is a very lucky baby you came along and saw it. Can you talk to the humane sociaty? Maybe there is some other people who could help? Animal control?
What about the BBB? Better Business B.

Pat B

Super Moderator
You did the right thing....I would turn their behind in..... In a heartbeat. Someone needs to take a stand!! Good luck and keep us posted....:cool:

Repti82

Hatchling Dragon
like i said Silkmoth i have turned him in a few times. but they always tell you there coming so he cleans up the place. but i will give him credit. it is starting to be a nicer place now. he has started remodeling and fixing everything because he in a few months is going to have to compete with petsmart. but he is to expensive. when he orders in a beardie it costs him 49$ a piece.....(i have inside connections) when petsmart gets in a beardie they work with breeders and what not and they sell them for 20-25$.......its a huge difference. he is going to end up out of business because he doesnt sell enough as it is. ............

Pat B thank you. i really hope she makes it. she is very very active and has eaten tiny crickets already so i know she is eating. sadly though there are still more babies at the store. i could only rescue onei dont have the space or money for all of the little guys lol

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
From the what I can see in the pics at this young age, it appears to be a normal BD.

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
From the what I can see in the pics at this young age, it appears to be a normal BD.
hey germ does the two strips down the BD back look like an orange color? if so can regular BD have orange strips down their back because i thought if the strips were orange redish then The Bd would be a sandfire but im not to sure...autumn is a sandfire and she has orange strips down her back and as autumn keeps growing she is getting more and more orange and red in her:p anyways point is i think she might be a sandfire but not sure she might be a regular

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A BD is only a Sandfire if it was bred by Sandfire Ranch & they have been out of the BD business for quite some time. People see an orange BD and automatically, 'Oh, it's a Sandfire!', which is not the truth at all. There are very few 'true' normals left in the hobby any more, almost any 'Normal' that you find these days, will almost suredly have been crossed with a colorline dragon someplace down the road. Dragons of unknown origins, other than obvious 'Morph' Genetic differences, are considered 'Normals' as far as color goes.

But she was talking 'Morph' not colorline ... Colorlines (Sandfire by Sandfire Ranch, Chris Allen Red by Chris Allen, etc) are just names given by breeders to their particular stock, so if it was not bred by that particular breeder you cannot call one that because it happens to look like one of their's. Orange markings on the back mean nothing ...
i really want to know what she is like a leather back or what breed.
Morph is a different story ... Definite genetic variances -> Normal, Leatherback, silkback, hypomelanistic, leucistic, translucent, umpteen more & combinations of, since man has been playing 'GOD' with their genetics.

A good thread on the subject, please pay particular attention to the first & second last post, by Natasha, some good info on Morphs.

Morphs as I understand them.

Latest posts