• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bearded dragon troubles

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Little bugs, is it maybe mites? You can google read up on mites and bearded dragons to learn more to see if it's that. Have you seen an exotic vet at all to raise your concerns and get a baseline on your dragon's health overall? It's something I wish we'd done when ours was little, it was months before we figured out how sick she was, she hid it so well (she had a respiratory infection from her petsmart days and luckily, survived and is still kickin).
You asked for an alternative to sand substrate suggestion too, I use repticarpet. Others also use tile and also adhesive shelf liner. The tile files the nails down I understand. I don't know anything about bioactive but if it's loose I'd still stay away from it. Not worth the risk. Good luck!
Edit: sorry I forgot at the top you had said you saw a vet.

sarah Boyer

Hatchling Dragon
!!!! Im at new vet now. She said he has alot of pinworms in his poop. We are getting meds for that. Hes 24 grams she said he might not make it.
pray for us we are gonna do our best to turn this around. Hes gonna need to be even more closely monitored now.

sarah Boyer

Hatchling Dragon
!!!! Im at new vet now. She said he has alot of pinworms in his poop. We are getting meds for that. Hes 24 grams she said he might not make it.
pray for us we are gonna do our best to turn this around. Hes gonna need to be even more closely monitored now.
VCA Animal Hopsital in Columbia centre park drive thank you for staying past your shift and seeing Nova last minute ❤❤❤we are grateful. Staff was all super nice and helpful. Thank you thank you

sarah Boyer

Hatchling Dragon
Well, my baby is dead. I gave him the medicone for pinworms. And only a few hours later he died. =\ i dont get it. But i did my very best.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm so sorry to hear that. Our first dragon was too little and sick and died in the first two weeks. Had gout they found out after he passed. It was heartbreaking. We adopted another soon afterwards, she was a little older and more hearty. She did have an RI that went undetected for months but her heartiness proved to her benefit as we worked hard and got her through it. I'm sure you did everything you could. Sometimes they just don't make it to adulthood, so many things can take them young. It's why they breed such large clutches to ensure the survival of their species. When your heart is a little healed I'd do some research and try to adopt one from a good breeder that way you know it's genetic history and they will only sell ones they think will survive. Hugs to you in this time of grief. I know how you feel.

sarah Boyer

Hatchling Dragon
I'm so sorry to hear that. Our first dragon was too little and sick and died in the first two weeks. Had gout they found out after he passed. It was heartbreaking. We adopted another soon afterwards, she was a little older and more hearty. She did have an RI that went undetected for months but her heartiness proved to her benefit as we worked hard and got her through it. I'm sure you did everything you could. Sometimes they just don't make it to adulthood, so many things can take them young. It's why they breed such large clutches to ensure the survival of their species. When your heart is a little healed I'd do some research and try to adopt one from a good breeder that way you know it's genetic history and they will only sell ones they think will survive. Hugs to you in this time of grief. I know how you feel.
Thank you , im very hurt and honestly scared to buy another. He just declined so fast ... But yeah i agree with u about the breeders being a better choice. No more pet store purchases for me. Poor nova. he was such a pretty beardie. Thank you everyone for your support .❤ i think i will eventually buy another beardie but i want to do more research see if i could do something better next time. Maybe buy a scale to weigh them make sure they arent loseing weight. I think ill buy a fake sand mat instead.. i saw one in petco when i was buying Novas new desert themed water bowl before i got home and discovered he had passed. Any recommendations are always welcome. Think i might also switch to a heat emitter for night use. ((Also alrdy bought yesterday))
Breeder recommendations especially welcome ❤

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
I am so sorry for your loss I know how it feels you do every thing you can but sometimes our beardie babies just cant fight off there illness, I lost my handsome spike last November from an RI that was stronger then he was this time. I miss him every day and so does my little girl dragon Stryker. my heart goes out to you.

sarah Boyer

Hatchling Dragon
Still miss Nova like crazy i know we didnt have him for long but still. We went to a reptile show to get mice for our snake and i saw this little guy and i was taken again. I redid everything and cleaned it thoroughly btw.
20190309_143703.jpg
hes so chunky ❤ lol
Havent come up with a name yet i just been calling him chunk. Lol

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
maybe it's a newly hatched termite? are they only in the viv or have you seen them elsewhere like bathroom, kitchen,. are you using any wood products in your viv? wood can be decontaminated by placing in the oven at 200 degrees for about 1.5 to 2 hours.

sarah Boyer

Hatchling Dragon
I have reptisoil , cocohusk and forest floor all mixed underneath his mat and stones. Its the same mix i used for savannah and he doesnt have bugs besides the mealworms and mealworm beetles in his tank.
20190309_173201_HDR.jpg