• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon stressed and not eating

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! But the intense basking bulb should be ok, right?

I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver it today. He is much happier and perkier since I've been feeding him the smoothies so thanks for the tip! Also his stress marks have faded. But he still refuses to eat his insects :( hopefully that will change once the new bulb arrives.
The basking bulb is the one that I use -- it should be fine but just make sure your getting correct basking temps -- like I had posted earlier

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all,

So I am a newbie bearded dragon owner. I picked up my baby boy 4 days ago, he is about 4-5 months old. On the first 2 days, he was curious, friendly and full of beans, happy to be handled and eating normally. However, over the weekend he has become skittish and lethargic, and refuses to eat his food :/ he has no interest in it. He hasn't eaten for 2 days now, which worries me. He's also developed stress marks on his belly.

The setup seems ok, the temperature under the basking spot is 35 degrees C. I have however been adding bits to his tank over the last few days, since they've been arriving late in the post, which could have stressed him out.

Is he just stressed and adjusting to his new home? Will his appetite resume if I leave him be and don't handle him for a week or so?

The other thing that worries me is that the basking bulb I was sold at the shop is infrared so I worry that the redness annoys him.

Thanks in advance!
Hi we rescue and rehome remove the colored bulb asap. Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs they are horrible for their eyes. Use the zoomed CLEAR basking bulb for heat; always a clear bulb and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb. This uvb is a long tubular light the length u order should cover 70percent of the tank and always replace the uvb religiosity every 6Mnths. If you don’t have uvb in the tank or proper uvb he won’t have energy or eat and will be lethargic. Make sure the uvb is placed starting. At the hot side and that it’s 10-12 inches minimum away from him. Also he needs a hideaway to get away from the uvb as needed. Try and keep the tank not to cluttered so he has to move. Is he in a 40 gallon; that’s what he needs rite now then at 7-8 mnths or so get him a bigger tank. Here are the lights and pics of some tanks. The temp should be between 100-105 then when he turns 8-9 months drop the temp to 95-100 only. Get a digital themmoter amd digital Hygometer. The humidity should be 30-40 never ever higher than 40. Invest also in an infrared Gun to shine on the basking spot that gives u very accurate temps too. Also no sand as substrate; they ingest it and it impacts them and get a hammock they love it. Leave both the uvb and basking light on in the winter for 10-12 hours and in the summer 12-14 more like 14. At night; turn all lights off & use a ceramic heat emitter 60 watt at night for him to keep the temp around 80-84 till he is 8mnths old or so then only use the heat emitter in the winter to keep the temp from Dropping below 70 as they het older the temp can drop to 70 when sleeping but not below. Also he should be eating proteins 4-5 times a day in 10min increments; crickets and Dubias are the best never ever do meal worms. Also place a plate of greens and veggies everyday to munch and nibble on place it on the cold side. Mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, dandelions, collard greens, snap peas amd greens beans, mix 2-4. Fruits as treats blueberries, papayas and mangoes.

Attachments

• B094C11B-D670-43F1-B6E8-F69FDC5EBAFA.jpeg
    B094C11B-D670-43F1-B6E8-F69FDC5EBAFA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • D7C27F11-2F52-49B3-914B-6A007D7F9FAA.jpeg
    D7C27F11-2F52-49B3-914B-6A007D7F9FAA.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 2
  • 8654FBC3-E58F-47F3-8561-6BFAE654ED1F.jpeg
    8654FBC3-E58F-47F3-8561-6BFAE654ED1F.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 41E08320-8479-4BA7-BCFD-1087DFCBD150.jpeg
    41E08320-8479-4BA7-BCFD-1087DFCBD150.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 2
  • E3FCBF8B-74CE-462C-AF5C-1595F86F0F4F.jpeg
    E3FCBF8B-74CE-462C-AF5C-1595F86F0F4F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The basking bulb is the one that I use -- it should be fine but just make sure your getting correct basking temps -- like I had posted earlier
Get the zoomed clear basking bulb for heat ans the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. I wrote you a lengthy post in detail;)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think I may have to get a new fixture - I've been searching the Internet for a 1050mm T5 tube, but they don't seem to exist :( my tube is held by these two hooks fixed to the ceiling of the viv. I'll measure them soon to see if I could possibly fit a shorter tube - don't want to bother him tonight anymore after his smoothie feeding. Although he seemed to like the smoothie :)
Go to Carolina cages website and u can get the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB or on Amazon

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you again! I've ordered that basking bulb - got it from Amazon so it should arrive quickly. I'm pretty sure that the stupid red light is annoying him. Also do infrared bulbs even produce any UVA?

He's refusing to eat his locusts and worms :( I managed to feed him some spring greens yesterday, but today he is being grumpy so I've left him be. And what do you mean by a slurry - do you mean mash everything up in a blender? Also do you think he would benefit from a bath for hydration? I'm hesitant to get him out today. And I feel so bad because of getting the stupid red light :( my reptile-owning friends said it was fine though, as did the "experts" in the shop... really annoyed at myself :(
Feed crickets and Dubia roaches 4-5 times per day in 10min increments; those are the best proteins to feed & wait an hour or 2 for the first feeding they need to bask & be warm before eating and it takes 2 hours to digest their food so lights need to be on for 2 hours after the last feeding. Also, dust the proteins in calcium 4 times per week once per day & herptivite vitamin once per day on a non calcium day. Lightly sprinkle like salt on fries; I posted in detail on my other post which ones to buy. Also the plate of greens and veggies everyday or he will never eat them when he gets older. Stick to mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, collard greens, endives. I listed all on another post to you. When he turns 5-6months u can do 3 protein feedings per day then lower to 2 feedings per day at 9mnths then at a year of age one protein feeding per day like 10 large crickets per day or 20 large every other day. When he turns a year old u may add superworms as treats amd at a year and a half add hornworms but be careful they are high in fat so in moderation.