• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon owner - tank setup

damick0620

Bearded Dragon Egg
New bearded dragon owner and I just want to make sure I have everything set up right for my little guy to thrive.

His basking spot is staying steady at 95. What can I do to raise the temp to 105-110?

He is currently in a 20 gallon tank (will be upgrading as he grows) and we are using the zika mini halogen & UVB combo fixture.

Thanks for the help!

image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
New bearded dragon owner and I just want to make sure I have everything set up right for my little guy to thrive.

His basking spot is staying steady at 95. What can I do to raise the temp to 105-110?

He is currently in a 20 gallon tank (will be upgrading as he grows) and we are using the zika mini halogen & UVB combo fixture.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 32403
Welcome to beardie world ----- ok I have never heard of zika mini halogen & UVB the halogen bulb is probably ok but if the UVB is a coil bulb please replace it w/ a Zoo Med 24" fixture I cannot stress this enough https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
there is a 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture its going to be perfect for the 20 gallon tank - it will need to be unobstructed tho and decor directly under it 6-8 inches --- when you upgrade the tank to a bigger one I recommend going as big as you can like 120 gallon tank the UVB fixture will go right into the new tank but you will need to swap out that 5.0 bulb for a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb --- I see no temp gauges in the tank please get two of the one for the cool side of the tank and one for the basking side - you want surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby --- juvies / adults will want temps around 95-100 surface temps - please get a digital probe hygrometer for the tank -- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r place on the back center wall --
these things I have posted for you are crucial to the health of your dragon - its going to control the overall health and behavior of him --- if you need more help please ask

damick0620

Bearded Dragon Egg
auto correct put zika, but it’s zilla*
The UVB is not a coil bulb, and it is a 50 watt.
I’ll post a link to see if it’s suitable or not.
I had the temp gages in but I have been told they are not always accurate, so I have been getting temps with a temp gun. I will put them back in and order one for the cooler side as well.

I was thinking that my basking rock was not close enough to the light, so so did buy a fixture that will allow him to get closer

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
auto correct put zika, but it’s zilla*
The UVB is not a coil bulb, and it is a 50 watt.
I’ll post a link to see if it’s suitable or not.
I had the temp gages in but I have been told they are not always accurate, so I have been getting temps with a temp gun. I will put them back in and order one for the cooler side as well.

I was thinking that my basking rock was not close enough to the light, so so did buy a fixture that will allow him to get closer
Yes that is a coil bulb and they are no good --- the Zilla long tube T 8 would be better than the coil please replace or you will have health issues w/ him --- please get what I posted they are by far the better UVB's - I posted the best option for you w/ the Zoo Med and its going to save money in the long run- you dont want your basking spot closer than 6" or you will have burns on him -- digital probes are the most accurate -- take the probe set it on the place where he basks for 10 min or so then get your temp --- if your listening to the pet store people please dont they do not have a clue as how to take care of dragons-- they are out for the money ---

damick0620

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that is a coil bulb and they are no good --- the Zilla long tube T 8 would be better than the coil please replace or you will have health issues w/ him --- please get what I posted they are by far the better UVB's - I posted the best option for you w/ the Zoo Med and its going to save money in the long run- you dont want your basking spot closer than 6" or you will have burns on him -- digital probes are the most accurate -- take the probe set it on the place where he basks for 10 min or so then get your temp --- if your listening to the pet store people please dont they do not have a clue as how to take care of dragons-- they are out for the money ---
I just ordered what you had posted for the uvb lights. can i mount it in the tank? the top of the enclosure is not all mesh, so it cannot set it up there

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just ordered what you had posted for the uvb lights. can i mount it in the tank? the top of the enclosure is not all mesh, so it cannot set it up there
It needs to be unobstructed for the 5.0 bulb and basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches- you will have a happy dragon - get the 10.0 bulb when you upgrade to a bigger tank-

Latest posts