• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon owner concerns

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I just got a baby bearded dragon a couple days ago and I want to make sure it's okay but I have a few concerns. It has the proper cage and heat and everything but I haven't seen it eat, although I think it might have ate maybe one cricket. It pooped earlier so that's good. Also, when switching to the night heat lamp, it crawled on the glass and stayed there standing so I moved it back into its little cave. Is everything ok?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It takes them a bit of time to settle in. Sometimes they are shy eaters and don't want to eat in front of us, especially when they are getting used to things. It's important to remember to remove any uneaten bugs in the tank because the bugs may nibble on your dragon while it is sleeping. When you say the night heat lamp, I hope you are talking about a CHE, a bulb that gives off heat but no light. Bearded dragons need complete darkness at night to sleep any sort of light even a black/purple/blue/red will disrupt them. Nighttime heat is only needed if their tank temp drops below 65 degrees.

If you haven't already, below my posts and a couple of the other members', there is a a link to some great information on lights and eating and husbandry.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome! We would love to see pictures of your little one and it's set up. :) Often when you just bring them home they have what most of us call "moving or relocation times" where they don't eat, don't really act "normal" this passes as they become used to their new home, new owners..
It just takes alittle time for them to adjust, just keep an eye on him/her and I'm sure in no time they will be just fine.
Please check out our links as Patsy said as they should help answer any questions you might have. Feel free to ask us questions as we all have been new and we all had some tweaking to do to make things just right for our little friends.

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so I got home today and it still didn't eat any crickets but I gave it 2 super worms with a little calcium dusted on them and it ate those. Would there be any reason for it to not eat the crickets?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, so I got home today and it still didn't eat any crickets but I gave it 2 super worms with a little calcium dusted on them and it ate those. Would there be any reason for it to not eat the crickets?
He may not want them :) they can be kinda finicky at times lol they like a variety.

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok lol, well it seems to like the worms but I heard they shouldn't eat to many, how many can I feed it a day?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok lol, well it seems to like the worms but I heard they shouldn't eat to many, how many can I feed it a day?
How big, how old is he/she? typically you want to feed what they will eat in 10 min but if he/she is only eating the supers (which are kinda big and can be tough to digest for a little one) you won't want to feed that many. I know with my gal when she's full she shuts her eyes if I offer her something.. :)

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's about 2 months I would say, I was going to make sure it would digest it properly before I do more than 2 a day

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's about 2 months I would say, I was going to make sure it would digest it properly before I do more than 2 a day
Oh that's a baby baby....yes make sure he/she poops fine for sure they do have small superworms but mostly the large ones.. Don't do mealworms. Have you tried dubia's? waxworms, butterworms, silkworms, hornworms...have you tried different sizes of crickets?

Huxei121

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got the smallest crickets I could, I don't live next to many pet stores except Petco which is about 30 minutes away. Im probably going to make a trip down there this weekend, what kind of worms do you recommend for a baby?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got the smallest crickets I could, I don't live next to many pet stores except Petco which is about 30 minutes away. Im probably going to make a trip down there this weekend, what kind of worms do you recommend for a baby?
It really is going to be trial and error to see what he/she likes.. In my opinion Good staple bugs crickets, dubia, supers treats are butterworms, waxworms, hornworms, silkworms as these contain lots of fat, moisture, calcium.
I feed my Izzy primarily dubia with supers a few times a week. I give special treats of butterworms and waxworms.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you are going to Petco you can get calci worms. Those are the same as repi worms or phoenix worms, it's just a different name. Those are real healthy to feed to your baby.

Latest posts