• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon concerns!

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I just recently got a bearded dragon that was going to be let go by a pet store. We have noticed some stuff around its mouth and does not hardly eat at all. I have the basking temp at around 103-108. The uvb light is directly above around 11inches with no top on the enclosure. I have attached some photos. Any suggestions on what this could be and what to do. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230825_162608.jpg
    20230825_162608.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230825_162546.jpg
    20230825_162546.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello I just recently got a bearded dragon that was going to be let go by a pet store. We have noticed some stuff around its mouth and does not hardly eat at all. I have the basking temp at around 103-108. The uvb light is directly above around 11inches with no top on the enclosure. I have attached some photos. Any suggestions on what this could be and what to do. Thank you
I am going to get some help on this --- I have sent some PM's out to see what this is
in the meantime you have a UVB not obstructed what is the brand and the bulb please-- the surface basking temp is being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer??

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am going to get some help on this --- I have sent some PM's out to see what this is
in the meantime you have a UVB not obstructed what is the brand and the bulb please-- the surface basking temp is being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer??
Yes the uvb bulb is not obstructed. Brand is a zilla reptile T8 strip light. I am currently waiting for the digital probe thermometer but have using temperature gun in the meantime.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes the uvb bulb is not obstructed. Brand is a zilla reptile T8 strip light. I am currently waiting for the digital probe thermometer but have using temperature gun in the meantime.
Ok so the T 8's are not as strong as the T 5's what size is the tank -- in the meantime please get a better bulb the Reptisun 10.0 T8 is better - distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- you can find the T 8's at Pet Smart or Petco - I would look at upgrading the UVB to a T5 for a 40 + gallon tank I can post links for you if you need them

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the T 8's are not as strong as the T 5's what size is the tank -- in the meantime please get a better bulb the Reptisun 10.0 T8 is better - distance should be 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- you can find the T 8's at Pet Smart or Petco - I would look at upgrading the UVB to a T5 for a 40 + gallon tank I can post links for you if you need them
The current tank is a 20 gallon tank. From the basking spot to the uvb strip is roughly 7 inches. I will definitely look into upgrading the bulb to a T5. He does spend majority of the time in the basking spot until it is night and the lights go off then goes into the hide.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The current tank is a 20 gallon tank. From the basking spot to the uvb strip is roughly 7 inches. I will definitely look into upgrading the bulb to a T5. He does spend majority of the time in the basking spot until it is night and the lights go off then goes into the hide.
Ok is it directly over a piece of basking decor? -- the dragon is too big for a 20 gallon tank especially if its a adult-- how are you feeding him? Please keep him hydrated -- w/ the mouth issue I can see why hes not eating -- can you post a pic of him please - you may need to start force feeding him by syringe since hes not eating - how long has it been since he ate last?

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok is it directly over a piece of basking decor? -- the dragon is too big for a 20 gallon tank especially if its a adult-- how are you feeding him? Please keep him hydrated -- w/ the mouth issue I can see why hes not eating -- can you post a pic of him please - you may need to start force feeding him by syringe since hes not eating - how long has it been since he ate last?
Yes directly over the basking spot since that is where the majority of his time is spent. We have been bathing every 2 days and putting a water dish in the enclosure. We have also been putting greens and fruits in there with no luck of him eating those. I believe he ate yesterday 1 cricket.

Attachments

• 20230825_180530.jpg
    20230825_180530.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes directly over the basking spot since that is where the majority of his time is spent. We have been bathing every 2 days and putting a water dish in the enclosure. We have also been putting greens and fruits in there with no luck of him eating those. I believe he ate yesterday 1 cricket.
Ok I am gonna throw this out there but it looks like mouth rot but I want some others to look that I reached out to- in the meantime get some raw unfiltered honey- example Manuka - it will kill infection and start the healing process- do not feed crickets in the tank-- please get some dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes- get your new uvb bulb I posted and we can start there- what kind of basking bulb are you using? Brand and bulb I am trying to figure out how he ended up w/ this issue - please get 2 digital probe thermometers - IR guns are good but inaccurate w/ certain basking decor - I am hoping the people I reached out to respond tonight

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I am gonna throw this out there but it looks like mouth rot but I want some others to look that I reached out to- in the meantime get some raw unfiltered honey- example Manuka - it will kill infection and start the healing process- do not feed crickets in the tank-- please get some dubia roaches www.dubiaroaches.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes- get your new uvb bulb I posted and we can start there- what kind of basking bulb are you using? Brand and bulb I am trying to figure out how he ended up w/ this issue - please get 2 digital probe thermometers - IR guns are good but inaccurate w/ certain basking decor - I am hoping the people I reached out to respond tonight
Ok thank you! The basking bulb I am not sure of the brand it came with the pet store and I remember the packaging said basking bulb. I do have some pheonix worms and Dubai roaches hopefully here in the next few days.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thank you! The basking bulb I am not sure of the brand it came with the pet store and I remember the packaging said basking bulb. I do have some pheonix worms and Dubai roaches hopefully here in the next few days.
This could be a cause for the mouth issue - if it's a daytime bulb off white or yellowish bulb this are not adequate - please look on the bulb and it will tell you-

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
The brand says thrive and only 100 watts. The color of the bulb is clear but emits yellowish.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The brand says thrive and only 100 watts. The color of the bulb is clear but emits yellowish.
Any yellowish I would replace- flukers basking exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen bulbs- I do not like thrive products- the decor is fine but bulbs not so much

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Any yellowish I would replace- flukers basking exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen bulbs- I do not like thrive products- the decor is fine but bulbs not so much
Ok got it. Just purchased the flukers basking. I appreciate the help, should we only apply the honey and expect it the crust to come off?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got one response back and this is what she has said
Poor thing, I agree that it's mouth rot or similar trauma. Raw honey may help, every few days you might try a watered down betadine water mix to gently cleanse it but use honey for the majority of treatment. BTW in case it wasn't mentioned, reduce the basking temp. to around 95-98.
20 gallon tanks are hard to get temps in -- please use a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate and I would get a temp on that spot where he / she basks

cbrown93

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got one response back and this is what she has said
Poor thing, I agree that it's mouth rot or similar trauma. Raw honey may help, every few days you might try a watered down betadine water mix to gently cleanse it but use honey for the majority of treatment. BTW in case it wasn't mentioned, reduce the basking temp. to around 95-98.
20 gallon tanks are hard to get temps in -- please use a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate and I would get a temp on that spot where he / she basks
Thank you for the response. We will get right on it for treatment. Thanks again!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That cannot feel good. It is likely mouth rot or a mouth infection from the pet store. He probably wasn't
kept at proper temperatures at all.
I would use some raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey a couple of times daily right now. Get some
swabs to clean out his mouth with, using a diluted betadine solution daily.

Tracie