• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bearded Dragon Advice

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so I am new to bearded dragons but not reptiles. I have just taken in an adult bearded dragon from a family friend because it needed a new home. I don’t have a lot of information on the care from the previous owner but the beardie looks fairly healthy. Here’s what I do know about this particular dragon:
- a little over 2 years old
- bought as a “fancy” beardie from a pet store
- as an adult has been feeding insect 2x per week and kale everyday
- owner attempted to keep temperature at 90° day and night

So I’m looking for any help and advice y’all can give. Don’t assume I know anything (I do but won’t be offended if you assume I don’t), I’m here to learn to provide the best life possible.

So the one care section I want to address first is heating. Obviously keeping at 90° 24 hours a day is not healthy. I have been providing a surface basking temp of roughly 105° (has displayed gaping while basking) and night time drops to 69°. Now because this is so different from what he was used to, I’m worried this might shock him or send him into brumation. Any tips for this? He hasn’t been super active, has eaten a little but not as much as I would expect. Seems to just sit on the warm side or basking spot all day.

Current setup:

75gallon with insulation wrapping around 3 sides to stop heat loss. (The 75 is what I had on hand when the dragon was dropped off, I have already ordered a larger pvc enclosure but I won’t recieve it for 8-12 weeks).

2 Arcadia 100watt halogen bulbs
1 Arcadia T5HO 14% over basking side (above the screen mesh)
1 jungle dawn led on other half of the enclosure

Several levels of basking zones

Jurassic bearded dragon sand as substrate

Lots of thing to climb on but plenty of open space to move around

A food and shallow water dish on the cool side

As far as food goes I’ve got a variety of live insect feeders and have followed the salad feeding guides from this forum. We have only been a little interested in insects and barely interested in the salad at all.

Like I said, not super active. Not sure if it’s stress from new environment or new people or new everything, or a culmination of everything. I’ve only had him for 2 days now, so I’m not super worried. Gonna take a while to get used to everything, but just wanted to get as much help and advice as possible.

Please ask any questions you have and I’ll answer to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance
1CFF03C2-FD0F-4F89-B290-6F68C3DAC9A0.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay so I am new to bearded dragons but not reptiles. I have just taken in an adult bearded dragon from a family friend because it needed a new home. I don’t have a lot of information on the care from the previous owner but the beardie looks fairly healthy. Here’s what I do know about this particular dragon:
- a little over 2 years old
- bought as a “fancy” beardie from a pet store
- as an adult has been feeding insect 2x per week and kale everyday
- owner attempted to keep temperature at 90° day and night

So I’m looking for any help and advice y’all can give. Don’t assume I know anything (I do but won’t be offended if you assume I don’t), I’m here to learn to provide the best life possible.

So the one care section I want to address first is heating. Obviously keeping at 90° 24 hours a day is not healthy. I have been providing a surface basking temp of roughly 105° (has displayed gaping while basking) and night time drops to 69°. Now because this is so different from what he was used to, I’m worried this might shock him or send him into brumation. Any tips for this? He hasn’t been super active, has eaten a little but not as much as I would expect. Seems to just sit on the warm side or basking spot all day.

Current setup:

75gallon with insulation wrapping around 3 sides to stop heat loss. (The 75 is what I had on hand when the dragon was dropped off, I have already ordered a larger pvc enclosure but I won’t recieve it for 8-12 weeks).

2 Arcadia 100watt halogen bulbs
1 Arcadia T5HO 14% over basking side (above the screen mesh)
1 jungle dawn led on other half of the enclosure

Several levels of basking zones

Jurassic bearded dragon sand as substrate

Lots of thing to climb on but plenty of open space to move around

A food and shallow water dish on the cool side

As far as food goes I’ve got a variety of live insect feeders and have followed the salad feeding guides from this forum. We have only been a little interested in insects and barely interested in the salad at all.

Like I said, not super active. Not sure if it’s stress from new environment or new people or new everything, or a culmination of everything. I’ve only had him for 2 days now, so I’m not super worried. Gonna take a while to get used to everything, but just wanted to get as much help and advice as possible.

Please ask any questions you have and I’ll answer to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance View attachment 32803
Thank you for taking the dragon in --- first lets start w/ the temps in the tank --- you want 3 temps --- a basking hot side of temps for a adult dragon 95-100 taken w/a digital probe thermometer- next middle of the tank 90's and cool side during the day 80's -- night time temps 65-75 ambient---- NO lights on at night please - dragons like cool and dark if they are healthy -- if they are sick then its best to use a heat emitter heat no light that will keep temps in 80's -- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb NO colored NO off white NO yellowish and NO daytime bulbs those have a coating on them that cause eye damage
your UVB bulb is a good one but strong one and it should be 8-10 inches above the basking decor piece -- I would change it out to a 12% and have it inside the tank -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- the jungle dawn I would take out completely -- are there plants in the tank?
Unless the dragon is actually drinking from the water bowl I would take it out-- dragons get most of their hydration from the salads they are fed - you can rinse the greens before serving -
Hes going to go thru relocation stress that is normal - he should be eating something - if he stops eating all together there is a issue -- if you want I would get him some BSFL they are a great staple but small and good lures to the salad bowl - you will need a bowl like this so they cant get out of it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed as many as you want they are a great compliment to your main staple feeder - do not dust them - order large www.symtonbsf.com - you can also use super worms and horn worms as lures to the salad as well - use the supers sparingly like 1-3 every other day or so - they are a treat worm - horn worms are a good hydrating worm and grow very fast --
The loose substrate is a bacteria harbor -- you can keep it if you like or get something more sanitary and easier to clean like some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut to the size of the tank and cleaned w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 then wiped w/ a clean wet cloth -- the sand is also an impaction risk-

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome information thank you.
Thank you for taking the dragon in --- first lets start w/ the temps in the tank --- you want 3 temps --- a basking hot side of temps for a adult dragon 95-100 taken w/a digital probe thermometer- next middle of the tank 90's and cool side during the day 80's -- night time temps 65-75 ambient---- NO lights on at night please - dragons like cool and dark if they are healthy -- if they are sick then its best to use a heat emitter heat no light that will keep temps in 80's -- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb NO colored NO off white NO yellowish and NO daytime bulbs those have a coating on them that cause eye damage
your UVB bulb is a good one but strong one and it should be 8-10 inches above the basking decor piece -- I would change it out to a 12% and have it inside the tank -- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --- the jungle dawn I would take out completely -- are there plants in the tank?
Unless the dragon is actually drinking from the water bowl I would take it out-- dragons get most of their hydration from the salads they are fed - you can rinse the greens before serving -
Hes going to go thru relocation stress that is normal - he should be eating something - if he stops eating all together there is a issue -- if you want I would get him some BSFL they are a great staple but small and good lures to the salad bowl - you will need a bowl like this so they cant get out of it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed as many as you want they are a great compliment to your main staple feeder - do not dust them - order large www.symtonbsf.com - you can also use super worms and horn worms as lures to the salad as well - use the supers sparingly like 1-3 every other day or so - they are a treat worm - horn worms are a good hydrating worm and grow very fast --
The loose substrate is a bacteria harbor -- you can keep it if you like or get something more sanitary and easier to clean like some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut to the size of the tank and cleaned w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 then wiped w/ a clean wet cloth -- the sand is also an impaction risk-

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome information thank you.
No plants in the tank yet but I do plan to setup a “bio active” style tank. I was reading how important bright white light (6500k) was for bearded dragons which is why I chose to add the jungle dawn to the darker half of the enclosure. and it would be useful in growing plants in the future.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No plants in the tank yet but I do plan to setup a “bio active” style tank. I was reading how important bright white light (6500k) was for bearded dragons which is why I chose to add the jungle dawn to the darker half of the enclosure. and it would be useful in growing plants in the future.
Yes the jungle dawn would be good for the plants then ---- I am going flag your post to Wickpogonia - she is a better one to talk w/ about the jungle dawn / bio active - she is on here very little so it may be a while before she responds

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The Jurassic natural sand is a pretty good substrate it’s the perfect “sand” to bid with your bioactive as I did because it’s not just sand but actual soil from central Australia . I keep a bowl of water in her tank too it’s so big doesn’t take any space up and doesn’t hurt use to have a waterfall . I keep my basking spit about 95-115 band about 75 and low 80s in the cool side she likes it hot but offer a lot of hides/shade a 75 gallon honestly isn’t big enough I would say minimum 4ftx2ftx2ft but strive for bigger Great that you have not only uvb but the jungle dawns for more visible light as they do need

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You want to actually set the jungle dawn in your basking area with the uvb so they can sit and bask and absorb all of it plus it helps them to know that it’s the basking as it bears more sprectrums of light other then elsewhere on my cool side I don’t even have lights under it . I’ve found the most success with succulent plants best being Aloe species from my experience they survive well in the arid enclosures. Here’s how I keep my lights uvb in the back heat in middle jungle dawn in front of that and that’s actually how Arcadia tells you to use your lighting. Another good lighting top is to have your different lights on different timers so they turn on and off in unison creating photoperiods and simulating a sunset. My heat turns on first then 15 mins later the jungle dawn does then 30mins later the uvb and it’s reversed when it goes off uvb goes off first then jungle dawn then lastly the heat bulb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
BAC41786-F85F-4BDE-A2E3-AB6AD33AA52B.png

Arcadia sells this I don’t have it I just lay my lights out as they would if they sat in that

Attachments

• 63F564CA-DAB9-4E9C-BAB5-B387EFB3A226.png
    63F564CA-DAB9-4E9C-BAB5-B387EFB3A226.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 8

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
The Jurassic natural sand is a pretty good substrate it’s the perfect “sand” to bid with your bioactive as I did because it’s not just sand but actual soil from central Australia . I keep a bowl of water in her tank too it’s so big doesn’t take any space up and doesn’t hurt use to have a waterfall . I keep my basking spit about 95-115 band about 75 and low 80s in the cool side she likes it hot but offer a lot of hides/shade a 75 gallon honestly isn’t big enough I would say minimum 4ftx2ftx2ft but strive for bigger Great that you have not only uvb but the jungle dawns for more visible light as they do need
75 is temporary. It’s the largest enclosure I had on hand. I’ve got a larger pvc enclosure ordered, it’s a couple weeks out, but the 75 should be okay for now. The pvc is 4x2x2, but I do have plans to go bigger in the future, just the largest I have room for atm.

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want to actually set the jungle dawn in your basking area with the uvb so they can sit and bask and absorb all of it plus it helps them to know that it’s the basking as it bears more sprectrums of light other then elsewhere on my cool side I don’t even have lights under it . I’ve found the most success with succulent plants best being Aloe species from my experience they survive well in the arid enclosures. Here’s how I keep my lights uvb in the back heat in middle jungle dawn in front of that and that’s actually how Arcadia tells you to use your lighting. Another good lighting top is to have your different lights on different timers so they turn on and off in unison creating photoperiods and simulating a sunset. My heat turns on first then 15 mins later the jungle dawn does then 30mins later the uvb and it’s reversed when it goes off uvb goes off first then jungle dawn then lastly the heat bulb
Awesome, I’ll give it a shot

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do
you add any actual soil? Or plant right into the Jurassic? And do you have a “clean up crew” that works if the hot arid environment?

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Do

you add any actual soil? Or plant right into the Jurassic? And do you have a “clean up crew” that works if the hot arid environment?
Yea I do , I use springtails and isopods even a few isopod species came from my yard and do great I quarantined them first though . I use dubia rocaches aswell for clean up superworms and meal worms which turn to beetles . Even some micro fauna such as bio dudes bio shot which consist of rhizobacteria and other beneficial microbial bacteria to help boost the functionality of it but definitely plants . Let your imagine how wild with what you can into it the substrate I can give you a list if you’d like of what I’ve added into mine . My soil has gotten expensive ‍♂. I would say the absolute best soil to add with the Jurassic would be biodudes Saraha substrate . I’ve added in charcoal springtails love it helps retain moisture in the middle also lava rocks make sure the charcoal has no flame agents etc not regular grill charcoal unless it’s royal oak and filler free . Sphagnum moss , sycamore bark and leaves aswel which I’ve harvested my own before but bake them in the oven before use leaves I bought have been magnolia leaves palm leaves etc , another thing I’ve added is BioChar , tree fern fiber you want it to be dry at the top and have a little moisture in the middle for the cuc which my humidity always is really low

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
75 is temporary. It’s the largest enclosure I had on hand. I’ve got a larger pvc enclosure ordered, it’s a couple weeks out, but the 75 should be okay for now. The pvc is 4x2x2, but I do have plans to go bigger in the future, just the largest I have room for atm.
Definitely underst
Awesome, I’ll give it a shot
i even have a mistking in my setup she absolutely loves it when it rains . Plus I don’t have to water it myself it’s on a set schedule and the rain simulation feels more natural she loves it

PrinceH4H4T4

Bearded Dragon Egg
Definitely underst

i even have a mistking in my setup she absolutely loves it when it rains . Plus I don’t have to water it myself it’s on a set schedule and the rain simulation feels more natural she loves it
I actually happen to have a Mistking system I’m not currently using. Do you mind telling me how you go about using yours? How often do you let it “rain”? Do you have most nozzles? Or nozzles that spray more droplets than fine mist? Etc… that is definitely an interesting topic, maintaining an arid environment while simulating natural weather.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I actually happen to have a Mistking system I’m not currently using. Do you mind telling me how you go about using yours? How often do you let it “rain”? Do you have most nozzles? Or nozzles that spray more droplets than fine mist? Etc… that is definitely an interesting topic, maintaining an arid environment while simulating natural weather.
I have 4 nozzles inside my Viv which is 72x24x40 so I would assume a 4x2x2 would just need two . I have it goes off 2-3 days out of a week maybe twice on a Friday or something few I usually make them no more then like 45-55 seconds a spray time at one period she loves it herself too 35-45 seconds a time is pretty good I usually have it go off two hours or three after lights come on if it’s a “early spray “ usually don’t want it to rain too soon to bedtime latest I’ve set it to spray is 3 hours before her bed time you have to think of a schedule for the arid environment is definitely the most difficult about a mist king

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have the fine mist nozzles the lights I use are water proof the jungle dawn the uvb tubes even the heat bulbs never been bothered by the mist . Screen might get alittle but if water on it to where it creates droplets that are thicker then the mist I even use fans that go off certain times on timers to simulate wind I just have them in the other room so I can clean them. Whatever your dragon is comfortable with at first she was alittle warey of the mist because it does have a vibration but she loves it now gets upset when it goes away plus my plants and clean up crew is on a set schedule being automated with the mistking does a lot of the work for ya . The most I have it go off is once a few hours after lights on after the sunset it’ll get alittle mist on Sunday then alittle more mist mid day to start the week . Have another mist/rain wensday in the mid day and Friday have another late day spray till Sunday again ! Hope it helps

Last edited:

Latest posts