• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby Beardie

jake larson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi!
So I recently got a baby bearded dragon (nine days ago), i dont know if it is relevant but he was in shed, and he was eating like a monster for the first few days as a baby bearded dragon should. However, over the past couple days he is not really eating anything at all. He developed stress marks/darker coloring as well. Should I be worried, or is he just acclimating to his new home?
Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi!
So I recently got a baby bearded dragon (nine days ago), i dont know if it is relevant but he was in shed, and he was eating like a monster for the first few days as a baby bearded dragon should. However, over the past couple days he is not really eating anything at all. He developed stress marks/darker coloring as well. Should I be worried, or is he just acclimating to his new home?
Thank you!
He's going thru relocation stress-- his eating will slow but he should not quit eating all together- if he does there is a issue-- just to make you keep him eating the basking temps and UVB MUST be up to par-- meaning NO Coils for UVB temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons-- those two things I just mentioned are the MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank--- what size tank is he in? If you need help w/ the lighting I can help you

jake larson

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's going thru relocation stress-- his eating will slow but he should not quit eating all together- if he does there is a issue-- just to make you keep him eating the basking temps and UVB MUST be up to par-- meaning NO Coils for UVB temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons-- those two things I just mentioned are the MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank--- what size tank is he in? If you need help w/ the lighting I can help you
Hi Sadie!
That is what I was thinking, it just seemed weird that he was ok for a few days and now he is super stressed? He is eating a little bit, but not a whole lot at all, the past couple days he has eaten a little collard greens and a few dubia roaches. His basking spot has always been at least 105. For UV lighting I have a reptisun uv that is around 8 inches away from his basking spot. His tank is a 20 gallon currently, though he will be getting a huge upgrade within the next two weeks. He is only seven inches long right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie!
That is what I was thinking, it just seemed weird that he was ok for a few days and now he is super stressed? He is eating a little bit, but not a whole lot at all, the past couple days he has eaten a little collard greens and a few dubia roaches. His basking spot has always been at least 105. For UV lighting I have a reptisun uv that is around 8 inches away from his basking spot. His tank is a 20 gallon currently, though he will be getting a huge upgrade within the next two weeks. He is only seven inches long right now.
What is the Reptisun? Is it the tube or coil? And your temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?

jake larson

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is the tube! I believe it is the reptisun t5 10. And yeah! I am taking temp with a probe thermometer. Also, just on this topic, how would you recommend me letting him get used to me? Should I just leave him alone for now?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is the tube! I believe it is the reptisun t5 10. And yeah! I am taking temp with a probe thermometer. Also, just on this topic, how would you recommend me letting him get used to me? Should I just leave him alone for now?
Get your hands in his tank as much as possible- hand feed h some BSFL - www.symtonbsf.com- add those to the salad- add them in front of him hand feed a couple before you put them in the bowl you will need to get a ceramic or glass bowl-- put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing in his hide to get him used to you- only hold him little at a time in his tank he will need to start to trust you-- that is important- the UVB for a T 5 needs to be at least 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor w/ no obstruction-- if it's a T 8 6-8 inches no obstruction

jake larson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get your hands in his tank as much as possible- hand feed h some BSFL - www.symtonbsf.com- add those to the salad- add them in front of him hand feed a couple before you put them in the bowl you will need to get a ceramic or glass bowl-- put a fleece blanket or piece of clothing in his hide to get him used to you- only hold him little at a time in his tank he will need to start to trust you-- that is important- the UVB for a T 5 needs to be at least 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor w/ no obstruction-- if it's a T 8 6-8 inches no obstruction
Okay, thank you so so much for your help! This has been really informative. I put my light a little higher than it was. And I am going to try to let him get used to me by having my hand in his tank frequently. Thank you so much Sadie!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, thank you so so much for your help! This has been really informative. I put my light a little higher than it was. And I am going to try to let him get used to me by having my hand in his tank frequently. Thank you so much Sadie!
When you upgrade post back on here if you need help w/ the new tank set up

Latest posts