• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New baby beardie with diarrhea

amusiat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I have a new Rankins Dragon (Pogona henrylawsoni) a little over 2 months old that's been having diarrhea for 3 days.
We have relocated her to our place on Saturday, where she was active, curious and hungry and had a normal stool, but since Monday has been lethargic, closing eyes a lot and having diarrhea/runny stool once per day.
She is eating, drinking, responding to surroundings and moves around a little, but does stay in the basking spot all day and won't hunt for food. She has just finished shedding her tail. Basking spot is around 42.5C warm, tank was cleaned and disinfected on Friday, UVB and UVA should be fine.
I'm trying to start her on crickets but she's not very interested, so is currently getting mealworms (I know, not the best) and a bit of zucchini and arugula/rocket.
I'm wondering when to start consulting with a vet, and if the diarrhea could just be from relocation stress?
I know diarrhea can be tricky to know but any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide more info.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I have a new Rankins Dragon (Pogona henrylawsoni) a little over 2 months old that's been having diarrhea for 3 days.
We have relocated her to our place on Saturday, where she was active, curious and hungry and had a normal stool, but since Monday has been lethargic, closing eyes a lot and having diarrhea/runny stool once per day.
She is eating, drinking, responding to surroundings and moves around a little, but does stay in the basking spot all day and won't hunt for food. She has just finished shedding her tail. Basking spot is around 42.5C warm, tank was cleaned and disinfected on Friday, UVB and UVA should be fine.
I'm trying to start her on crickets but she's not very interested, so is currently getting mealworms (I know, not the best) and a bit of zucchini and arugula/rocket.
I'm wondering when to start consulting with a vet, and if the diarrhea could just be from relocation stress?
I know diarrhea can be tricky to know but any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide more info.
Basking temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank -- not active and being lethargic not eating is not good --- shedding can cause lack of appetite and grouchiness but the others not so much which tells me something is off in the tank --- basking temps should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons and they should be surface temps not air or ambient -- UVB NO coils they are inadequate --- what size tank is she in ? If your using a long tube fixture is there a reflector on the fixture? If not you need one -- where is the UVB in the tank or top of the tank ? What is the brand and bulb please ?

amusiat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank -- not active and being lethargic not eating is not good --- shedding can cause lack of appetite and grouchiness but the others not so much which tells me something is off in the tank --- basking temps should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons and they should be surface temps not air or ambient -- UVB NO coils they are inadequate --- what size tank is she in ? If your using a long tube fixture is there a reflector on the fixture? If not you need one -- where is the UVB in the tank or top of the tank ? What is the brand and bulb please ?
Thanks for your response, I want to note that she is eating as normal. My temp of 42.5C is taking with a probe thermometer on the surface of the basking spot. She is in a 90x45x45 tank, but with 30cm currently blocked off while she's young. For UVB I'm using a Reptisun 10.0 T8 with reflector inside the tank. :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your response, I want to note that she is eating as normal. My temp of 42.5C is taking with a probe thermometer on the surface of the basking spot. She is in a 90x45x45 tank, but with 30cm currently blocked off while she's young. For UVB I'm using a Reptisun 10.0 T8 with reflector inside the tank. :)
So its a 40 gal tank? And your using about 1/2 of it making it a 20 gal? That would be good --- the UVB should be approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- the basking bulb is a clear bright white bulb NO colored or infrared bulbs please - NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that is harmful to the eyes -- I would try some dubias for her or BSFL they are a great staple feeder -- you can use them on her salads feed as many as you want --- w/ everything good I am thinking its relocation stress -- let her acclimate to the tank and surroundings as long as shes eating basking and pooping shes good -- Please NO more meal worms they will cause impaction in babies - the exoskeleton is too harsh on their stomachs and digestive system - try laying off the zucchini for now rinse her greens before serving for hydration -- the squash might be causing the runny stools -- here is a website for nutrition for other things to try for her http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl for the BSFL to keep them in heres website for a bowl that you can use or have something similar to
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

amusiat

Bearded Dragon Egg
So its a 40 gal tank? And your using about 1/2 of it making it a 20 gal? That would be good --- the UVB should be approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- the basking bulb is a clear bright white bulb NO colored or infrared bulbs please - NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that is harmful to the eyes -- I would try some dubias for her or BSFL they are a great staple feeder -- you can use them on her salads feed as many as you want --- w/ everything good I am thinking its relocation stress -- let her acclimate to the tank and surroundings as long as shes eating basking and pooping shes good -- Please NO more meal worms they will cause impaction in babies - the exoskeleton is too harsh on their stomachs and digestive system - try laying off the zucchini for now rinse her greens before serving for hydration -- the squash might be causing the runny stools -- here is a website for nutrition for other things to try for her http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl for the BSFL to keep them in heres website for a bowl that you can use or have something similar to
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Thank you very much for your help! :) I'm stopping the mealworms and zucchini. She's already doing a bit better today, stool looked a little better, little more active and stress lines are almost completely gone.

Latest posts