• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby BD Not Eating?!?!

stoned philosopher

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a beautiful Bearded Dragon, probably 3 months of age or so. I have in a slightly smaller then necessary inclosure just for now (18Lx12Hx12W).

I give him crickets but he seems to be running away from them and not eating. He did poop yesterday and today. I know he ate some of the greens and maybe a meal worm or 2 when I wasn't looking. but I know crickets are supposed to be 80% of his daily diet as a juvenile.

Please help.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forums. Things that will help.
1. Soak your dragon daily in warm water up to the little ones arm pits.
2. Most newly acquired animals need a period of time to get use to there new surroundings. This could be one day or even two weeks. During this time to help the process move along. The best thing to do is leave the dragon alone. Let him/her settle in without the pressure of handling and window viewing. I know it is hard to do as you want to interact with your new kid but some just need some time to acclimate.
3. Feed appropriate sized food. Make sure the bugs are no bigger than the distance between the eyes of the little one.
4. Make sure temps are correct.

Here is a basic care sheet.
http://www.gilliesexoticpets.com/#/care/4576136802/Bearded-Dragon-Care/5600720

Last edited:

stoned philosopher

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, welcome to the forums. Things that will help.
1. Soak your dragon daily in warm water up to the little ones arm pits.
2. Most newly acquired animals need a period of time to get use to there new surroundings. This could be one day or even two weeks. During this time to help the process move along. The best thing to do is leave the dragon alone. Let him/her settle in without the pressure of handling and window viewing. I know it is hard to do as you want to interact with your new kid but some just need some time to acclimate.
3. Feed appropriate sized food. Make sure the bugs are no bigger than the distance between the eyes of the little one.
4. Make sure temps are correct.

Here is a basic care sheet.
http://www.gilliesexoticpets.com/#/care/4576136802/Bearded-Dragon-Care/5600720

Thanks that was very helpful I just got him 36 x 12×18 for better hot/ cool spot control and will try the warm water baths.

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
He could be shedding.. my Lil guy doesn't really have to much of an interest in food when he is about to shed.

marjam

Bearded Dragon Egg
We just got a bearded dragon also that is about 3 months old too. He isn't eating much either and he isn't very active. Is yours still acting the same?

stoned philosopher

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea he is actually getting much better. Seems to be eating only the tiniest of crickets which are way smaller then distance between eyes, problem is I just got a shipment of 1000 2 week old crockets which are perfect size for him, but im not sure if he will eat them since they are bigger then the super small ones he likes.

Anyone ever heard of armstong crickets? Thatd where I ordered them.

marjam

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am hoping ours will start eating. I am getting really concerned. I put 3 crickets in there this morning and they are all still there.

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Ya you know my little guy kinda picks the days he wants to eat or not.. Some days he will mow down roaches. And other days he could care less about them.. He would just rather stare at me than eat.

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya my baby I got about 17 days ago and still isn't eating. Hes about 3 montgs old also.I can sometimes get him to eat a couple greens out of my hand but no crickets. I'm getting some dubia roaches soon to try them

Latest posts