• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Adoptee in need of some TLC

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm so sorry about Lex. I was really hoping for some good news for the sweet boy. At least he's being well cared for. His life from here on out will be better than it has been.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sky

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's really sad but i would rather know what I'm dealing with than deal with surprises. The vet said that he couldn't give me any sort of time-frame for him, might be next week or in 5 years. He said as long as he's eating and drinking then it's looking positive. He also brought up that due to the weather here he has probably slowed down some for the winter, kinda in and out off burmation.

He really is an awesome guy. He is full of personality, he's a joy to interact with.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry for your news. Enjoy him while you can and he will tell you when he's ready to go.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Well we went to the vet yesterday and the good news is that we are parasite free! Bad news is that we have a mass (it's unknown if its a cyst, tumor, calcium deposit, etc) in the intestinal/follicle region and we are officially in kidney failure (verified by blood work) :-(

He told me to just keep doing what I'm doing but ultimately it's pretty much Beardie hospice for Lex. Happy and comfortable, those are my main goals now for him

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad that he is living his days in a good loving home. Poor baby.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm sorry to hear this. But just as you said at least you know what your dealing with and can do your best now to make him as comfortable as possible for the remainder of his time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone. My son's first birthday party was today so Lex got a ton of visitors and attention. To anyone outside of a reptile keeper it might sound weird but it's amazing watching a lizard smile.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm glad Lex is happy. He's finally getting the love and attention he deserves.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well we went to the vet yesterday and the good news is that we are parasite free! Bad news is that we have a mass (it's unknown if its a cyst, tumor, calcium deposit, etc) in the intestinal/follicle region and we are officially in kidney failure (verified by blood work) :-(

He told me to just keep doing what I'm doing but ultimately it's pretty much Beardie hospice for Lex. Happy and comfortable, those are my main goals now for him

:( well that stinks!! At least he is feeling the TLC that he deserved a long time ago...At least you know what's going on and you can make that call when it comes. Been there did the hospice thing on a 3 month old kitten (at least she didn't die outside/in a cage)..
Kuddo's to you for being a good scaly parent.

Sky

Bearded Dragon Egg
So everything seems to still be going ok with Lex but lately he has gotten MEAN (granted it's compared to what he was like). I still hold him, feed him, give him baths, but whenever I get hear him he starts hissing, puffing up his beard, swishing his tail around, lunging at my hand, and tries to bite at other times. I tell him the same thing I tell my son, "Daddy wins", he just needs to remember that lol

I'm not sure what's going on with him but there is the current update.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
So everything seems to still be going ok with Lex but lately he has gotten MEAN (granted it's compared to what he was like). I still hold him, feed him, give him baths, but whenever I get hear him he starts hissing, puffing up his beard, swishing his tail around, lunging at my hand, and tries to bite at other times. I tell him the same thing I tell my son, "Daddy wins", he just needs to remember that lol

I'm not sure what's going on with him but there is the current update.

Is he is pain from his condition? Many types of animals have a negative change in behavior if they are in pain.

Sky

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is he is pain from his condition? Many types of animals have a negative change in behavior if they are in pain.
I've gently proded areas to see if he would react at all but he doesn't seem to have a pain reaction. If it keeps up much longer I'll call the vet and get his opinion.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I've gently proded areas to see if he would react at all but he doesn't seem to have a pain reaction. If it keeps up much longer I'll call the vet and get his opinion.

How odd... I've never had a drastic change in behavior like that before. Skittles has bitten me once - not his fault, he thought my finger was food - and it freakin' HURT! Gotta respect those jaws man, so I feel for you! The only other thought I have - can he see your other beardie? I've heard they can get more aggressive if there is another one kept near. Good luck!

Sky

Bearded Dragon Egg
How odd... I've never had a drastic change in behavior like that before. Skittles has bitten me once - not his fault, he thought my finger was food - and it freakin' HURT! Gotta respect those jaws man, so I feel for you! The only other thought I have - can he see your other beardie? I've heard they can get more aggressive if there is another one kept near. Good luck!
I thought it might be the other beardies too (I now have a 5 month old male and a 6 month old female) but they are kept in a totally different room so I'm not sure. Where's Dr. Dolittle when you need him!?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd call or email the vet's office to get their opinion on his behavioral change. The only time I've seen changes in behavior in my beardies are 1. When they catch a glimpse of each other and 2. My boy had some behavioral changes when I had to temporarily put his enclosure in a cooler room. It caused some temp fluctuations and he got very jumpy and defensive, but not aggressive. It's possible that Rex is in pain, animals are very good at hiding pain, likely a mechanism for survival in the wild. I'd see what your vet thinks.

Latest posts