• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Adopted Beardie Color change and handling ?

Red78

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone, I have an Adopted Beardie that I have had for two weeks, a little background on her. ..

She is an adult, but not sure on age

Definitely a female , previous owner said she laid eggs twice. She was living in a 20 gallon tank, with a heat lamp, but no uvb at all, this was a min of a year but possibly more. She was on sand, her diet was pellets and freeze dried bd mix every other day. Not sure if she had insects and did not get fresh veggies. So I had to get get a uvb light and the pet store only had the 18" zilla desert in the tube lights so I figured that would hold until I order a reptisun. I moved her to a 55 gallon wide turtle tank near a window receiving morning sun and built a top for it out of wood and hardware cloth until I build her a habitat. She has been here for 2 weeks now and twice daily I make her salads with lots of greens, squash, and fruits etc , which she is slowly starting to eat, dusting her crickets and BSF larvae 3x weekly with calcium and 2x weekly with vitamins. Bathing her twice a week. The day she came she passed a super runny smelly green stool with no white, recent stool is still a little loose, green/ brown with white , not as smelly. Her basking area shows around 110 ( note this is a temporary round reptile thermometer )

So my question is this, when she came she was a really dull color and I thought she was about to shed, but she never did, now she has turned a totally different color, is this normal? Could it be her new diet ? Is it possible she will stay this color and if so what would this color be called?

Also would like to know am I doing everything properly to make sure she continues to improve?

She is not good at being handled she tries to run away, I managed to get her still long enough to trim her nails, but not as short as they probably need to be, but better than they were, what's the best way to handle a Beardie that's scared to be held?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my super long post :)

Pics attached Color Before, Color Now and new habitat ( uvb temporary )

20170701_220531-1.png
20170701_160025.jpg

20170701_211551.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe bless her heart she looks soo much happier now! Her first pic she looks super dehydrated as her fat pads ontop of her head look sunken in.. she looks better and brighter in the second pic.. what wonders happen when UVB is introduced!! I would let her settle in as if she wasn't handled alot she isn't used to kindness... just go slow and in time she will settle. Get her vetted to make sure she carrying parasites and have that bump on her side looked at.. it's likely just a fatty lump but never know. the first pic it does look like the legs and tail were going to shed.. and now that she is getting good food she will likely shed soon.

Red78

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for the info, so glad you mentioned the lump on her side, I did not notice it until I looked at the picture, I will definitely get her a check up, as I'm worried that going so long without the uvb and nutrition will cause future problems. I want her to live for a long time, I am already really attached to her.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for the info, so glad you mentioned the lump on her side, I did not notice it until I looked at the picture, I will definitely get her a check up, as I'm worried that going so long without the uvb and nutrition will cause future problems. I want her to live for a long time, I am already really attached to her.

She looks like a love just give her some time to adjust and work on getting to trust you..considering her past she looks good!

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
What a colour change! You can see traces of her natural colour in the first picture, but she was probably so stressed and uncomfortable it got darkened out. My Lizz was similar when we got her, super dull and dark because of improper husbandry, but lighthened up over time.
She also looks to be a sandfire gold if I am not mistaken.

About the handling, you just need to go slowly and let her get used to you, she needs to learn that humans are nothing to fear, and that takes time and patience.

Eve

Bearded Dragon Egg
She looks so much healthier and happier in the environment you've provided for her! Great job! She's a very beautiful dragon. :)

Now the important part is to take your time getting to know each other (I'm still working on this with my newest edition also).

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She looks so much better with the proper care! Good job!

Latest posts